Trojan Forum Forum Index Trojan Forum
Trojan and other JA music discussion forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hello
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Trojan Forum Forum Index -> If you're new, please say say "Hello" before posting in the main forum!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr. Sploom
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zapatoo_the_Tiger wrote:
Dr. Sploom wrote:
Zapatoo_the_Tiger wrote:
Dr. Sploom wrote:
Zapatoo_the_Tiger wrote:
I'm not that keen on Tiramisu either... Mad
Man....first cous cous, now this......at least we both can agree that kolsh is boss..... Razz Laughing
We can...

These are my favourites...
Not familiar with your 1st selection, taste wise.....I know of where to purchase some over in Toluca Lake....it's where I bought your 2nd selection.....what a beer! As for the 3rd....news to me(I don't recall seeing it at Vendome in Toluca Lake)....but I will ask my beer snob pal where he thinks we may partake in a tipple of Frueh.... Cool Cool Cool

Oh yeah, Kolsch is so popular out here, that there are some local brewmasters making their own interpretation of the style.....for the legal reasons, I'm sure you already know about..... Wink
I didn't care much for Gaffel Koelsch in my early years over there until one of my local pubs changed from Rats (pronounced in English "rahts" and meaning "councillor" - a local brew in Frechen, the brewery was about 100m from the town hall) and then it just grew on me.

Reissdorf is a little sweeter than either of Gaffel or Rats and consequently some disparagingly refer to it as "Frauenbier" (ladies beer).

The Frueh brewery is almost next to the cathedral, right in the centre of the city and sports a wonderful cavernous bar/restaurant that is equally comfortable for tourists and locals. Unreservedly recommended even if just for a passing bier!

I should have also added Schreckenskammer (torture chamber) Koelsch - this was, this last I heard, still a brewery only pub - the only place the beer could be bought was at the pub - not sold in other places or in bottles - things may have changed lately.

The unique (in my limited experience) thing in that pub is that you can buy a 3 or 5 litre tower of beer - on a cast-iron base, it's brought to the table and has its own tap, so the beer remains fresh and "alive".

http://www.schreckenskammer.com/

Muehlen Koelsch also rates a worthy mention, while Sester and Kueppers Koelsch (among 2 or 3 others) are best avoided Confused

IMHO of course Wink
Awesome. I will be passing all of this info along to that beer drinking pal of mine....about the tower of beer with the cast iron base.....you can buy those at this German restaurant out here in LA. It's near Silverlake.
http://www.redliontavern.net/menu.html
Went there for Oktoberfest....I almost cried the sausages, and apfel strudel were so good.....topped it off with Köstritzer Schwarzbier, Aventinus, Warsteiner Dunkel, Spaten Oktoberfest, Spaten Optimator, Warsteiner Dunkel and a dunkelweisse which was only available for Oktoberfest...wish I could remember the name of it.

I was giddy leaving for home, to say the least....thankfully, there was a bus stop nearby, so we rode home with the dreg's of LA.... Rolling Eyes

I hate Disneyland. It primes our kids for Las Vegas.
-Tom Waits
Zapatoo_the_Tiger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange that a German pub should be called "Der Rote Loewe" (but in English)

I know a couple of those beers Seth, but am only an occasional Weiz (wheat) or Weiss (white) beer drinker...less keen on the darker ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63rcdLeXiU8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFuYIi5-igc
Dr. Sploom
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zapatoo_the_Tiger wrote:
Strange that a German pub should be called "Der Rote Loewe" (but in English)

I know a couple of those beers Seth, but am only an occasional Weiz (wheat) or Weiss (white) beer drinker...less keen on the darker ones.
I agree. I'm used to the German restaurants in central Virginia, and their lion's are black of gold....I think I have a photo of the stein we got as part of the Oktoberfest package the missus got through Living Social. Wink

-Tom Waits
night_shift82
On Board

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

never tried before, I'm a fan of English Ale, porter and stout. Since these kind of beer are very difficult to find here I bought a kit for homebrewing but unfortunately with any kind of malt I tried I only get an harsh and aqueous beverage...my friends encourage me and they say my beer is good. The question is: I'm too exigent with myself or my friend are liars? Very Happy
Dr. Sploom
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

night_shift82 wrote:
never tried before, I'm a fan of English Ale, porter and stout. Since these kind of beer are very difficult to find here I bought a kit for homebrewing but unfortunately with any kind of malt I tried I only get an harsh and aqueous beverage...my friends encourage me and they say my beer is good. The question is: I'm too exigent with myself or my friend are liars? Very Happy
Could be both. And your water. Wink

-Tom Waits
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Trojan Forum Forum Index -> If you're new, please say say "Hello" before posting in the main forum! All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: