Trojan Forum Forum Index Trojan Forum
Trojan and other JA music discussion forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

More Skinhead and Revive Reggae recommendations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Trojan Forum Forum Index -> Recommendations / Reviews / Clunkers and stinkers!!!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zapatoo_the_Tiger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Sploom wrote:
However, there are a few duff numbers...."Skinhead, A Message To You", is dreadful, "Kick Me, or I'll Kick You", is less than inspiring, and, "Uncle Desmond" is a good tune, but I've never gotten anyone to dance to it.... Rolling Eyes
Some great repro singles, although the vinyl was too thin, the labels just weren't right and there's no anti-skid ridging around the edge of the label.

I'm guessing (because I can't remember) that these were a representative set of Skinhead-based singles and while it isn't a memorable killer KICK ME... and its like were certainly popular round my neck of the woods.

Funnily enough, I was only glancing quickly through this box set at the week-end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63rcdLeXiU8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFuYIi5-igc
Zapatoo_the_Tiger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Sploom wrote:
[color=yellow]Roots Archives
The Hippy Boys & Lloyd Charmers - Psychedelic Reggae[/yellow]Also, none of the tunes feature vocals, except for some banter prior to the music starting. All of the tunes, are instrumentals...
Don't forget the belching on one of the tracks, IIRC.

Is this album easy to find? (I already have it, so I'm just curious)

Dr. Sploom
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zapatoo_the_Tiger wrote:
Dr. Sploom wrote:
However, there are a few duff numbers...."Skinhead, A Message To You", is dreadful, "Kick Me, or I'll Kick You", is less than inspiring, and, "Uncle Desmond" is a good tune, but I've never gotten anyone to dance to it.... Rolling Eyes
Some great repro singles, although the vinyl was too thin, the labels just weren't right and there's no anti-skid ridging around the edge of the label.

I'm guessing (because I can't remember) that these were a representative set of Skinhead-based singles and while it isn't a memorable killer KICK ME... and its like were certainly popular round my neck of the woods.

Funnily enough, I was only glancing quickly through this box set at the week-end.
I wonder if all of these were pressed the same? My 45's aren't thin, nor are they thick! Surprised

I agree, the labels don't look right, they look "fake". The look like they are a paper facsimile, glued in place....Not stamped on, like a proper label....No anti-skid ridge, as well....

Spot on, with your remembering....These are all indicative, of what would've been played at dances during the era.... Wink

Nice, thick vinyl, would've been the way to go for these.... Smile

I hate Disneyland. It primes our kids for Las Vegas.
-Tom Waits
Dr. Sploom
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zapatoo_the_Tiger wrote:
Dr. Sploom wrote:
[color=yellow]Roots Archives
The Hippy Boys & Lloyd Charmers - Psychedelic Reggae[/yellow]Also, none of the tunes feature vocals, except for some banter prior to the music starting. All of the tunes, are instrumentals...
Don't forget the belching on one of the tracks, IIRC.

Is this album easy to find? (I already have it, so I'm just curious)
Good memory! That would be the tune, "African Zulu"! Twas Clive Chin drinking tea in the studio, doing that bit! Laughing

Fairly easy to find, the price fluctuates from reasonable, to stupid. Wink

Three copies on US Amazon: $19.40VG, $20.00New, $87.14VG.....

I think EB Reggae has this as well, and it's hovering around the 25 quid mark on UK Amazon.... Rolling Eyes

-Tom Waits
Zapatoo_the_Tiger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Sploom wrote:
I wonder if all of these were pressed the same? My 45's aren't thin, nor are they thick! Surprised

I agree, the labels don't look right, they look "fake". The look like they are a paper facsimile, glued in place....Not stamped on, like a proper label....No anti-skid ridge, as well....

Spot on, with your remembering....These are all indicative, of what would've been played at dances during the era.... Wink

I wouldn't have expected the so-called "extra heavyweight" vinyl, that the THB singles were, they don't add to sound quality, but they do allow less tunes to fit into a playout box Mr. Green

Zapatoo_the_Tiger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Sploom wrote:

I think EB Reggae has this as well, and it's hovering around the 25 quid mark on UK Amazon.... Rolling Eyes
Thanks for the price info, Doc.

I paid 14 each for mine - some years ago, Charlie was auctioning the Hippy Boys, Laurel Aitken and Derrick Morgan Trybute CDs (as one lot) in here for some charity and I nabbed them Wink

Dr. Sploom
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zapatoo_the_Tiger wrote:
Dr. Sploom wrote:

I wouldn't have expected the so-called "extra heavyweight" vinyl, that the THB singles were, they don't add to sound quality, but they do allow less tunes to fit into a playout box Mr. Green
I know....I just like the thicker vinyl, because it's less likely to bounce around on my record player! Wink

-Tom Waits
Dr. Sploom
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zapatoo_the_Tiger wrote:
Dr. Sploom wrote:

Thanks for the price info, Doc.

I paid 14 each for mine - some years ago, Charlie was auctioning the Hippy Boys, Laurel Aitken and Derrick Morgan Trybute CDs (as one lot) in here for some charity and I nabbed them Wink
Those are the ones I have, as well....I almost gave the Rico sets a punt, but then, got myself a copy of Trojan's Rico anthology for $.01...... Smile

-Tom Waits
Zapatoo_the_Tiger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Sploom wrote:
...I almost gave the Rico sets a punt, but then, got myself a copy of Trojan's Rico anthology for $.01...... Smile
...which was a steal (provided the postage wasn't $56 or something Shocked)

Dr. Sploom
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zapatoo_the_Tiger wrote:
Dr. Sploom wrote:
...I almost gave the Rico sets a punt, but then, got myself a copy of Trojan's Rico anthology for $.01...... Smile
Postage was either $2.98, $2.99, $1.98, or $1.99....It's been so long, I've forgotten! Rolling Eyes

-Tom Waits
Zapatoo_the_Tiger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Sploom wrote:
Zapatoo_the_Tiger wrote:
Dr. Sploom wrote:
Postage was either $2.98, $2.99, $1.98, or $1.99....It's been so long, I've forgotten! Rolling Eyes
Brilliant Smile

Dr. Sploom
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zapatoo_the_Tiger wrote:
Dr. Sploom wrote:
Zapatoo_the_Tiger wrote:
Dr. Sploom wrote:
Brilliant Smile
I was well chuffed when I got it....I do remember that. Then being even more happy after hearing tunes, I'd never heard before! Very Happy Cool

-Tom Waits
Dr. Sploom
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Various Artists - Loch Ness Monster

Trojan LP #TBL 135 1970
Trojan CD #TJCCD 149 2003
Record date : 1970

Album style : rock steady, solo vocal, instrumental

Playlist :
King Horror - Loch Ness Monster
The Upsetters - Man From M.I.5
Nora Dean - Barbwire
The Upsetters - Self Control
Des All Stars - Night Food Reggae
King Horror - The Hole
The Upsetters - Vampire
Des All Stars - Black Scorcher
Band Of Mercy & Salvation - Suffering Stink
King Horror - Cutting Blade
Girlie & Jomo - African Meeting
King Horror - Dracula Prince Of Darkness
Patrick & Lloyd - Return Of The Pollock *
Nora Dean - Same Thing That You Gave To Daddy *
Ansel Collins - Cock Robin *
Music Doctors - Easy Rider *
Bill Jack - Once A Man *
The Prophets - Jaco *
Music Doctors - Electric Shock *
Lloyd & Claudette - Queen Of The World *
The Upsetters - Pick Folk Kinkiest *
The Prophets - Concord *
Lee Perry & The Upsetters - Sipreano *
Music Doctors - Ghost Chicken *
Lee Perry & The Upsetters - Tackro *

From the opening screams of King Horror's "Loch Ness Monster", to the screams of KIng Horror on the 2nd take of the same tune, this compilation is filled to the brim, with Skinhead friendly Reggae music!

The CD version, adds an additional 14 tracks, to an already impressive original 12 song track listing......And, the sound quality is impeccable! Crystal clear, and well mastered! Cool

The most intriguing aspect of this set, has to be the artwork.....One would assume it is the cover for drug fueled music, for Hairies.....Not Skinheads, and their "clean" living! Laughing Laughing Laughing

The next intriguing aspect has to be the track listing, in its original and expanded states....Both include a majority of British Reggae, which was tailor made for Skinheads to Moon Hop to, and a Jamaican product, which had been appropriated, as well....7out of the 12 original are British efforts, and 16 out of the 26 are British efforts, on the expanded track listing......Not bad, if you asked me.....In fact, I think both styles of Reggae merely showcase how a bunch of young Britishers were able to choose sounds from various locations of the British, and former British Empire, and add it to their every day rituals....even if only for a fleeting moment.....but, which has had ever lasting effects on the British way of life, for better, or worse.... Cool Cool Cool

Liner notes on the '03 re-issue are expertly done by Michael de Koningh, and in fold out format. Considering the limited space, MdK was able to really cram a goodly amount of information about the era, in terms of the songs, the bands, the singers, some behind the scenes information about Trojan, as well as what was going on with your average Skinhead circa 1970......

Then there's the music.....This one runs the gamut from 2 stars, to 5 stars, to blowing up the grading scale! The only low point has to be "African Meeting"....and, it should come as no surprise, that Girlie would be the one artist, with the poorest showing on a tune, which halts what had been, a very dance-able selection of tunes, thus far, and which goes back to being dance-able, after her track....Bless her heart. Rolling Eyes

Maybe they threw her track on there, to serve as a pregnant pause, so everyone could catch their breath, or smoke a fag, or grab a drink.....Razz

A wise man once stated, Girlie either hit bulls-eye, or was wide of the mark.....I'm paraphrasing, of course, but that's her singing career in a nutshell.....Read the original "Boss Sounds" by Marc Griffiths, if you want the poop, verbatim.... Wink

Highlights are the tunes by: Des All Stars, the Upsetters, Patrick & Lloyd, Nora Dean, Ansel Collins, Music Doctors, Prophets, & Lloyd & Claudette....Everything else, falls in between them, and Girlie.... Wink

Overall, I rate this set a solid 4 out of 5 stars. Essential listening, if you'd like to better understand what kind of sounds were being played at discos patronised by Skinheads.....Smile

Too bad Trojan didn't get round to pumping out more re-issues like this......It would help those of us, with an addiction, to the Boss Reggae, that was loved by the original Skinheads of the '60's, and '70's!!!

Cool Cool Cool

-Tom Waits
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Trojan Forum Forum Index -> Recommendations / Reviews / Clunkers and stinkers!!! All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

Jump to: