Trojan Forum Forum Index Trojan Forum
Trojan and other JA music discussion forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hello everyone!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Trojan Forum Forum Index -> If you're new, please say say "Hello" before posting in the main forum!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kalcidis
On Board

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:24 am    Post subject: Hello everyone! Reply with quote

Hi!

My name is Joakim and I'm 30 years old and living in Stockholm, Sweden working in digital marketing. One of the first reggae records I bought was Barrington Levy's brilliant album Poor Man Style, produced by Linval and released on Trojan. And I guess it describes my musical taste quite well. Barrington is one of my favourite singers of all time, the early 80's is still my era of choice and producers such as Linval and Junjo are the ones I always return to. I also enjoy the roots music of the 70's with producers such as Yabby You, Keith Hudson, Bunny Lee. The last two or three years I've been heavy into dub albums as well. Besides JA related music I've been listening a lot to hiphop (my first musical love when I got Ice-T's Power album as a kid) and greek music such as old rebetika.

I've know of the Trojan forum for quite some time but never registered due to figuring the focus here is on earlier periods of Carribean music than I usually listen to. But my friend Ray Small Axe has spoken very well of this forum and the people here so I figured I'd give it a shot.

Also in 2015 I told myself that I'd investigate ska, rocksteady and early reggae more thoroughly. So not only is this my first post here but I'm going to ask you a favour as well. If you would recommend a compilation of JA music from the any of these earlier eras of Jamaican music for me to listen to, which one would it be?

Looking forward to get to know the Trojan forum. Very Happy
Bosssounds
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings and welcome Joachim - wonderful to see you here Smile I think you know me as Madame Streggae over on the Pama Forum...........
RudePete
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Joachim....

Quite a few of us on here post/have posted on Pama... And, most are Roots fans too.. Smile

You could do a lot worse than start with the Trojan box sets "Ska", "Rock Steady" etc etc etc..... Smile
Charlie Chalk
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and welcome Joachim.

(I'm better known as Andy Capp on the other side!)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/iloveoxfordutd/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=25&_trksid=p3984.m1543.l2654
kalcidis
On Board

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must have missed some unwritten rule because it seems that on every forum I visit the same people are there under names. Is it to make the musical fan base look larger than it is perhaps? Laughing

Thanks for the welcome, Andy/Charlie, RudePete (with the vintage receipt), Streggae/Boss. Smile

And thanks for the advice RudePete on the compilations. I think I have that Rock Steady CD somewhere in my basement – but I've never listened to it (it would actually be my girlfriends).
Zapatoo_the_Tiger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Joakim and welcome.

I'm "Zapatoo_the_Tiger" here and "Zapatoo_the_Tiger" on Pama as well (although I don't visit anymore).

Strangely, I was "Zapatoo_the_Tiger" on Chatty Mouth and am "Zapatoo_the_Tiger" on B&F, although I only occasionally look in over there!

To the above I'd add the must-have "Foundation Ska" 2CD set from Heartbeat (CD HB185/186 - 1997) and the excellent "Ska Bonanza" also a 2CD set from Heartbeat (CDHB86/87 - 1991).

The latter has comprehensive liner notes, while the music is very early Ska, pre-dating what's on "Foundation Ska".

Be aware that "Ska Bonanza" got a re-issue several years ago with a slight difference in tracks (possibly only 1 CD as well).

The "Trojan Jamaican R&B Box Set" (TJETD042 / 2002) is worth seeking out. Again, the tracks tend to pre-date 1964, but Owen Gray never cut a tune as good as the raucous MIDNIGHT TRACK (1962 / Charles Moo) did he?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63rcdLeXiU8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFuYIi5-igc
BAFF BOOM
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome aboard joakim
Dr. Sploom
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard! Those sets that RudePete, and Zap recommend, are top! For early Reggae, I'd go after a copy of "Full Up", chocked full of great Bunny Lee Reggae.....For Skinhead friendly material, "Dancehall '69", "Dawning of an Era", "Skinhead Revolt", and "Skinhead Jamboree" do it for me, everytime..... Cool

I'd also go out and get a copy of "Nyah Reggae Rock" by Clancy Eccles, and the Dynamites.....And, the Dynamites "Are the Wild Reggae Bunch" is sublime! So's both sets of Sound Dimension on Soul Jazz....."Mojo Rocksteady Beat", and "Jamaican Soul Shake Vol.1"....

Derrick Harriot and the Crystalites "For a Fistfull of Dollars", is more top notch early Reggae happiness! So's Derrick Harriott's "The Sensational Derrick Harriott Sings Rock Steady Reggae".... Cool Cool Cool

I hate Disneyland. It primes our kids for Las Vegas.
-Tom Waits
DOWNTOWN
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello & welcome Joakim.

I'm Observer at Pama Forum.
skadad
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evening mate! Welcome aboard Cool
nojan
Music Is The Key

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hej Joakim och välkommen! Jag är också ny här men du "känner" mig sen tidigare både på BAF och Skawars. Fridens ! / Matti
kirkatron
Paradise

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Joakim and welcome Smile

One of my favourite early reggae compilations is the expanded reissue of Tighten Up Vol 2.

It contains the original twelve tracks and their B sides plus another twenty four tracks from a similar vintage.

Cheers.
Zapatoo_the_Tiger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nojan wrote:
Hej Joakim och välkommen! Jag är också ny här men du "känner" mig sen tidigare både på BAF och Skawars. Fridens ! / Matti
I agree Mr. Green

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63rcdLeXiU8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFuYIi5-igc
j j
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya Kal, you'll know me as j j of course Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Trojan Forum Forum Index -> If you're new, please say say "Hello" before posting in the main forum! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: