Trojan Forum Forum Index Trojan Forum
Trojan and other JA music discussion forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Undivided

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charlie Chalk
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 10:58 am    Post subject: The Undivided Reply with quote

From www.oocities.org:

The Undivided

London/UK, 1970s

The Undivided was one of 1970s reggae bands playing the London scene and touring the UK. As they weren't one of the studio bands for Trojan, Pama et. al., they had to look for another section of the business and found it with a contract to the major label Decca. Rico joined the band for their debut LP Listen To The World in 1973 that comprised mainly of covers of pop songs. But he told Klaus Frederking in 1981 that they've been "the best band in town. During Carnival 1974 and 1975 they said we've been the best band. We've been the only group playing with a horn section. But we've got not enough money for the gigs, seventy or eighty pound, and the PA-system and the transport were at our charge. We've been ten people in the band. It was financially so hard that we broke up slowly. Those promoters who promoted The Undivided, didn't have a longterm plan with us. They were interested in quick return. If that would have been otherwise, we'd exist till this day." (Frederking 1982, pp. 240/241; translated back by braunov) Rico left the band for his Man From Wareika project ca. 1975.

The beginning of The Univided may be in 1969 as then DJ Castro Brown "spent several years touring the UK as a DJ-cum-MC with the first line-up of The Undivided Band, ..." (Koningh 2004, p. 137)

Roy Shirley remembers a situation when he worked with the group as his studio band (quoted in the same book, p. 43): In 1973 "Russel Coke [of Magnet] gave me about 600 to record eight or nine tracks with The Univided Band, out of which I had to pay the band and other expenses. Some of these tunes, like "Endlessly" and "When You're Young", were sellers."

Ca. 1977 Dennis Harris used a studio band producing Lovers Rock for his DIP labels comprising John Kpiaye (lead guitar), Ronnie (rhythm guitar), Delroy (p) and Bunny & Floyd from The Undivided on drums and bass. (cf. Koningh 2004, p. 124)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/iloveoxfordutd/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=25&_trksid=p3984.m1543.l2654
Zapatoo_the_Tiger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy - definitely a name I knew, though I only have a couple of instrumental tracks (and then, only on CDR) by a band called the Undivided.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63rcdLeXiU8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFuYIi5-igc
Dr. Sploom
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent work, Andy! Much appreciated! Very Happy Wink

I hate Disneyland. It primes our kids for Las Vegas.
-Tom Waits
RudePete
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure they were Rico's backing band at The Bob Marley gig at The Rainbow in '77..... Bloody brilliant they were too....
Bosssounds
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And Roy Shirley's at Phebes Club in the Aquarius programme.
Dr. Sploom
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A point to the Sheikh, and the fellow from Sunny Southend-on-Sea! Wink

-Tom Waits
Dr. Sploom
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing that bothers me, mostly.....Is how The Undivided should have been more than mere, back benchers. They were an immensely talented lot, who should have been, standard bearers, next to the Rudies, Cimarons, & Pyramids.

The proof's in the pudding folks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pr0QDnAQ1RI
Undivided-Listen To The World LP

-Tom Waits
RudePete
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Sploom wrote:
The thing that bothers me, mostly.....Is how The Undivided should have been more than mere, back benchers. They were an immensely talented lot, who should have been, standard bearers, next to the Rudies, Cimarons, & Pyramids.

Indeed...

This is from the Rainbow gig (I have it on a 12" single)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHPBXSUIa08
Dr. Sploom
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RudePete wrote:
Dr. Sploom wrote:

Indeed...

This is from the Rainbow gig (I have it on a 12" single)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHPBXSUIa08
That British sound from '76, is not to be trifled with. Absolutely, massively militant. The emotional time in the UK, at that time, permeated all of it's "underground" music at the time. Punk Rock was a result of it.....UK Reggae, the tip of the spear.

Wink

-Tom Waits
Dr. Sploom
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before I forget, I can't help but feel, even though the Undivided's LP is great.....The choice of tunes, was definitely a wee lightweight. Clearly this was aimed at a "crossover" audience(aka: white folks Mr. Green ), so perhaps this kept them, from moving forward, as well. Smile

-Tom Waits
RudePete
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Sploom wrote:
Before I forget, I can't help but feel, even though the Undivided's LP is great.....The choice of tunes, was definitely a wee lightweight. Clearly this was aimed at a "crossover" audience(aka: white folks Mr. Green ), so perhaps this kept them, from moving forward, as well. Smile

I saw A LOT of Reggae gigs in the 70's and 80's, and to my knowledge the Rainbow gig is the only one they appeared at... Surprised
Dr. Sploom
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RudePete wrote:
Dr. Sploom wrote:

I saw A LOT of Reggae gigs in the 70's and 80's, and to my knowledge the Rainbow gig is the only one they appeared at... Surprised
It's a shame. The stuff with Rico, should've sent them, over the top, to glory. Funny, how less talented acts, can become the ones, that get better remembered, no matter what genre, of music! Sad

For me, the Undivided, bridged the gap, that came, after the Skinhead/Suedehead thing, had become old hat. Sure, the Rudies, and Cimarons, were still at it....But, with the Pyramids emigrating to Germany.....Why didn't the Undivided, get to take their place? There clearly, was still an audience, for "real" Reggae, not the sugary sweet stuff, Trojan, and the like, were flogging.

It's nice, they were able to release 2 LP's, & a few singles, though.....But, I can only imagine what might have been, had they better success, and it makes me barmy! Rolling Eyes

Check this one, from '85:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cx00zQZ_nc4

Andy's good pal, Locksley licking it, on the guitar! Wink

-Tom Waits
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Trojan Forum Forum Index -> Artists All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: