Trojan Forum Forum Index Trojan Forum
Trojan and other JA music discussion forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BEST of Trojan's 2005 releases - results!

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Trojan Forum Forum Index -> Archives
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zapatoo_the_Tiger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject: BEST of Trojan's 2005 releases - results! Reply with quote

Exclamation Exclamation Rocksteady Rarities wins!!! Cool Cool ... just pushing Ska Rarities out:!: Exclamation

So, thanks to everyone who voted, not only in this "final of finals" poll, but also throughout the year.

The polls were often accompanied by voters putting a one-line comment in - much appreciated. I know it can be tedious to craft a carefully-worded opinion sometimes, so a simple poll, plus a one-liner makes it so much easier...

I guess the result is not so much of a surprise, the advent of the Rocksteady Rarities box set was greeted with a lot of anticipatory comments even before the track listing was published. And not just here, but also over at places like BAF there were plenty of positive remarks. The quality of the tracks revealed that the pre-release comments were well-founded.

Also, I recall that the Ska Rarities Box Set was looked forward to in much the same way around about the beginning of last year, so no real surprise that it was up there too.

Personally, although I found both the Lovers Rock and Eighties to have some super tracks in, overall they didn't quite hit the musical spot for me. Nice enough both sets, I tended to enjoy the 12" mixes on the Lovers Rock set and individual tracks I was already familiar with on the Eighties Box Set - like Barry Brown's "Politician", Sophia George's "Lazy Body", Dennis Brown's "Sitting And Watching" and Gregory's "Oh What A Feeling".

I've mentioned several times here and elsewhere that I found the Lynn Tait set to sound a bit samey, especially all the instrumentals together and would have preferred these to have been mixed in with the vocals. However, it's full of top-quality tunes and fully deserving to have fought its way past other Box Sets into the final.

Finally, I was well-pleased to see the Legends Box Set make it through - another Box Set greeted with a certain amount of good anticipation - Lee Perry's "Disco Devil" being one that was deservedly looked forward to. This CD didn't focus on obvious tracks, just quality tracks from many of the bigger names - and it worked a treat!

So here are the results of the voting (I've moved the votes topic into the Archives section - as I always do):
1st. Trojan Rocksteady Rarities Box Set 32.43% 12
2nd. Trojan Ska Rarities Box Set 29.73% 11
3rd. Trojan Lovers Rock Box Set 18.92% 7
4th. Trojan Eighties Box Set 10.81% 4
5th. Hold Me Tight - Lynn Tait Anthology 65-73 5.41% 2
6th. Trojan Reggae Legends Box Set 2.70% 1

TOTAL votes cast - 37 (a few more than usual Smile)

Any final comments on this voting are very welcome indeed - I hope "those upstairs" can make good use of the voting efforts you have put in over the last year Wink

The 2006 poll will be starting very soon....only 3 to choose from in January.

Thanks again - Zap!

P.S. I voted for the Rocksteady Rarities - while I prefer Ska to Rocksteady, I found that latter set to hang together a bit better musically - to my ears.

I also gave all 6 finalists' album a spin over the course of the week while considering which to vote for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63rcdLeXiU8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFuYIi5-igc

Last edited by Zapatoo_the_Tiger on Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Intensified
Paradise

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, good votes but it's a pity that there isn't DOANE there !
Zapatoo_the_Tiger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Francis - one of my very favourites from last year too Confused Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63rcdLeXiU8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFuYIi5-igc
hurstg
Music Is The Key

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see the votes in Box Sets seem to dominate, also the top two of 2005 were rarities ie ska n rock steady lets hope this leads to more sets with a rarities tag ie a DJ & 12" rarities would go down a treat!!

i could be putting a bet on of the top 2 of 2006 with these!!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Trojan Forum Forum Index -> Archives All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: