Trojan Forum Forum Index Trojan Forum
Trojan and other JA music discussion forum
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Doctor Bird Records
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Trojan Forum Forum Index -> Re-presses / releases and re-issues / new vinyl
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Charlie Chalk
Golden Festival


Joined: 19 Aug 2011
Posts: 8125
Location: Oxford

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Received both Doctor Bird CDs today - looking forward to giving them a spin.

Shame about the sleeve notes on 'No More Heartaches / What Am I To Do' though!


_________________
Natty ago watch the baldhead hairdresser; real live wire.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/iloveoxfordutd/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=25&_trksid=p3984.m1543.l2654
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Dr. Sploom
Golden Festival


Joined: 25 Dec 2007
Posts: 29178
Location: Commonwealth of Virginia

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie Chalk wrote:
Received both Doctor Bird CDs today - looking forward to giving them a spin.

Shame about the sleeve notes on 'No More Heartaches / What Am I To Do' though!

Nice! Very Happy
Those are on my Christmas list. Looking forward to getting copies. Will read both sets liners, with zeal. Though, I'll have my cak-shields up, for "NMH/WAITD", just in case. Wink
_________________
It seems that our brave new world is becoming less tolerant, spiritual and educated than it ever was when I was young.
-Lemmy Kilmister

I hate Disneyland. It primes our kids for Las Vegas.
-Tom Waits
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Charlie Chalk
Golden Festival


Joined: 19 Aug 2011
Posts: 8125
Location: Oxford

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Sploom wrote:
Charlie Chalk wrote:
Received both Doctor Bird CDs today - looking forward to giving them a spin.

Shame about the sleeve notes on 'No More Heartaches / What Am I To Do' though!

Nice! Very Happy
Those are on my Christmas list. Looking forward to getting copies. Will read both sets liners, with zeal. Though, I'll have my cak-shields up, for "NMH/WAITD", just in case. Wink

Very wise! Wink
_________________
Natty ago watch the baldhead hairdresser; real live wire.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/iloveoxfordutd/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=25&_trksid=p3984.m1543.l2654
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Bosssounds
Golden Festival


Joined: 14 May 2003
Posts: 9265
Location: Near sunny Southend-on-Sea

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Received both Doctor Bird CDs today - looking forward to giving them a spin.


Likewise - NMH already spun.

Funny, but I wouldn't have considered WAITD as (paraphrasing) 'one of Trojan's most popular albums from the Boss Reggae era', which the sleevenote strapline states. I picked up a copy of it from a Brighton record shop in about 1987, which was quite a revelation as it was the first time I'd ever seen it. Compared to Reggae Power, Fire Corner, Moonlight Groover, Reggae Happening etc etc it's an absolute rarity. That being so, I'm delighted it's been made available again as finding an original is challenging to say the least.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dr. Sploom
Golden Festival


Joined: 25 Dec 2007
Posts: 29178
Location: Commonwealth of Virginia

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bosssounds wrote:
Quote:
Received both Doctor Bird CDs today - looking forward to giving them a spin.


Likewise - NMH already spun.

Funny, but I wouldn't have considered WAITD as (paraphrasing) 'one of Trojan's most popular albums from the Boss Reggae era', which the sleevenote strapline states. I picked up a copy of it from a Brighton record shop in about 1987, which was quite a revelation as it was the first time I'd ever seen it. Compared to Reggae Power, Fire Corner, Moonlight Groover, Reggae Happening etc etc it's an absolute rarity. That being so, I'm delighted it's been made available again as finding an original is challenging to say the least.
Good observation. I've wondered about that claim, too, Marc. Smile

I'm curious as to what parameters, they used, to determine its being 'one of Trojan's most popular albums from the Boss Reggae era'?

Are we talking, in terms of sale? Or, in terms of, a compilation, everyone wished they'd gotten, at the time? Or what?

When I think of "popular" compilations, of the time, clearly, "TU2", sets the standard, for me.

Smile
_________________
It seems that our brave new world is becoming less tolerant, spiritual and educated than it ever was when I was young.
-Lemmy Kilmister

I hate Disneyland. It primes our kids for Las Vegas.
-Tom Waits
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Charlie Chalk
Golden Festival


Joined: 19 Aug 2011
Posts: 8125
Location: Oxford

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Sploom wrote:
Bosssounds wrote:
Quote:
Received both Doctor Bird CDs today - looking forward to giving them a spin.


Likewise - NMH already spun.

Funny, but I wouldn't have considered WAITD as (paraphrasing) 'one of Trojan's most popular albums from the Boss Reggae era', which the sleevenote strapline states. I picked up a copy of it from a Brighton record shop in about 1987, which was quite a revelation as it was the first time I'd ever seen it. Compared to Reggae Power, Fire Corner, Moonlight Groover, Reggae Happening etc etc it's an absolute rarity. That being so, I'm delighted it's been made available again as finding an original is challenging to say the least.
Good observation. I've wondered about that claim, too, Marc. Smile

I'm curious as to what parameters, they used, to determine its being 'one of Trojan's most popular albums from the Boss Reggae era'?

Are we talking, in terms of sale? Or, in terms of, a compilation, everyone wished they'd gotten, at the time? Or what?

When I think of "popular" compilations, of the time, clearly, "TU2", sets the standard, for me.

Smile

I've certainly not seen many copies of WAITD. NMH crops up quite a bit - usually knackered (or as they say on eBay - 'Excellent condition'!).
_________________
Natty ago watch the baldhead hairdresser; real live wire.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/iloveoxfordutd/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=25&_trksid=p3984.m1543.l2654
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Zapatoo_the_Tiger
Site Admin


Joined: 12 May 2003
Posts: 60154
Location: Surrey (KT16)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is on its way...

I don't recall ever seeing a copy of "What Am I To Do?" in any record shop (wise guys might say that was because it was always sold out) and I'm not aware that any of my pals had a copy.

Whereas "No More Heartaches" had much more of a "presence", although I never sorted myself a copy - as usual, too many Soul and Reggae releases and not enough dosh to nail them all - and then any given record would drop out of immediate consciousness to be replaced by the next "hot" Stax, Motown or Trojan offering...
_________________
Play it nice and cool, son. Nice and cool! You know what I mean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63rcdLeXiU8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFuYIi5-igc
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
Dr. Sploom
Golden Festival


Joined: 25 Dec 2007
Posts: 29178
Location: Commonwealth of Virginia

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie Chalk wrote:
Dr. Sploom wrote:
Bosssounds wrote:
Quote:
Received both Doctor Bird CDs today - looking forward to giving them a spin.


Likewise - NMH already spun.

Funny, but I wouldn't have considered WAITD as (paraphrasing) 'one of Trojan's most popular albums from the Boss Reggae era', which the sleevenote strapline states. I picked up a copy of it from a Brighton record shop in about 1987, which was quite a revelation as it was the first time I'd ever seen it. Compared to Reggae Power, Fire Corner, Moonlight Groover, Reggae Happening etc etc it's an absolute rarity. That being so, I'm delighted it's been made available again as finding an original is challenging to say the least.
Good observation. I've wondered about that claim, too, Marc. Smile

I'm curious as to what parameters, they used, to determine its being 'one of Trojan's most popular albums from the Boss Reggae era'?

Are we talking, in terms of sale? Or, in terms of, a compilation, everyone wished they'd gotten, at the time? Or what?

When I think of "popular" compilations, of the time, clearly, "TU2", sets the standard, for me.

Smile

I've certainly not seen many copies of WAITD. NMH crops up quite a bit - usually knackered (or as they say on eBay - 'Excellent condition'!).
Wink

Loved the eBay comment....Mr. Green
_________________
It seems that our brave new world is becoming less tolerant, spiritual and educated than it ever was when I was young.
-Lemmy Kilmister

I hate Disneyland. It primes our kids for Las Vegas.
-Tom Waits
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Dr. Sploom
Golden Festival


Joined: 25 Dec 2007
Posts: 29178
Location: Commonwealth of Virginia

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zapatoo_the_Tiger wrote:
Mine is on its way...

I don't recall ever seeing a copy of "What Am I To Do?" in any record shop (wise guys might say that was because it was always sold out) and I'm not aware that any of my pals had a copy.

Whereas "No More Heartaches" had much more of a "presence", although I never sorted myself a copy - as usual, too many Soul and Reggae releases and not enough dosh to nail them all - and then any given record would drop out of immediate consciousness to be replaced by the next "hot" Stax, Motown or Trojan offering...
Good points. Which, is exactly why I'm having difficulty, understanding why Trojan would declare WAITD as: 'one of Trojan's most popular albums from the Boss Reggae era'.

How did Trojan come to this conclusion? Smile
_________________
It seems that our brave new world is becoming less tolerant, spiritual and educated than it ever was when I was young.
-Lemmy Kilmister

I hate Disneyland. It primes our kids for Las Vegas.
-Tom Waits
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Zapatoo_the_Tiger
Site Admin


Joined: 12 May 2003
Posts: 60154
Location: Surrey (KT16)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Sploom wrote:
How did Trojan come to this conclusion? Smile
"Journalistic licence"?

Wink
_________________
Play it nice and cool, son. Nice and cool! You know what I mean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63rcdLeXiU8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFuYIi5-igc
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
Dr. Sploom
Golden Festival


Joined: 25 Dec 2007
Posts: 29178
Location: Commonwealth of Virginia

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zapatoo_the_Tiger wrote:
Dr. Sploom wrote:
How did Trojan come to this conclusion? Smile
"Journalistic licence"?

Wink
Nicely put. You'd make a good diplomat, or MP. Wink
_________________
It seems that our brave new world is becoming less tolerant, spiritual and educated than it ever was when I was young.
-Lemmy Kilmister

I hate Disneyland. It primes our kids for Las Vegas.
-Tom Waits
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Charlie Chalk
Golden Festival


Joined: 19 Aug 2011
Posts: 8125
Location: Oxford

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top review of 'No More Heartaches / WAITD' on Amazon:

5.0 out of 5 stars Boss!
By Dan Davidson 13 August 2017

At last we can hear two of the finest boss reggae collections in their entirety, as Trojan had intended them to be heard back in 1969 and 1970, respectively.

The music is among the finest produced in Jamaica during this fascinating period in the island's musical history, with many of the tracks cut at Studio One and featuring its crack in-house band, the Sound Dimension.

As for the package itself, the sound is superb (presumably mastered from the original Trojan tapes) and the packaging top quality, with fascinating sleeve notes and evocative imagery.

We can only hope for further similar collections from Doctor Bird, who have certainly set the bar high with this, their initial release.

All in all, hugely recommended!


Not me - honest guv!
_________________
Natty ago watch the baldhead hairdresser; real live wire.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/iloveoxfordutd/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=25&_trksid=p3984.m1543.l2654
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Dr. Sploom
Golden Festival


Joined: 25 Dec 2007
Posts: 29178
Location: Commonwealth of Virginia

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff! Looking forward, to when I can get a copy! Very Happy
_________________
It seems that our brave new world is becoming less tolerant, spiritual and educated than it ever was when I was young.
-Lemmy Kilmister

I hate Disneyland. It primes our kids for Las Vegas.
-Tom Waits
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Zapatoo_the_Tiger
Site Admin


Joined: 12 May 2003
Posts: 60154
Location: Surrey (KT16)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't played mine yet and haven't read the liner notes either.
_________________
Play it nice and cool, son. Nice and cool! You know what I mean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63rcdLeXiU8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFuYIi5-igc
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
Andy C
I Am The Winner


Joined: 25 May 2004
Posts: 408
Location: Dartford

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Psychedelic Train:



1. Psychedelic Train, Part One
2. No Man Is An Island
3. Laugh It Off
4. Message from the Black Man
5. Hum My Song
6. Riding for a Fall
7. Slave
8. Go Bye Bye
9. The Loser
10. Born to Love You
11. Walk the Streets
12. Standing in
13. Groovy Situation
14. Been So Long / You Lied to Your Daddy
15. It's Alright (You're Just in Love)
16. Solomon
17. You've Really Got a Hold on Me
18. Sitting on Top
19. The Girl's Alright With Me
20. Do I Worry
21. I'm Not Begging
22. Have Some Mercy
23. Tang! Tang! Festival Song
24. Long Time
25. Psychedelic Train, Chapter 3


Audio CD (13 Oct. 2017)
Number of Discs: 1
Label: Doctor Bird
ASIN: B074ZMZGK2

https://www.amazon.co.uk/PSYCHEDELIC-TRAIN-DERRICK-HARRIOTT-CRYSTALITES/dp/B074ZMZGK2/ref=pd_sim_15_4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=ER2X5STH3B007GBPMF7P


Last edited by Andy C on Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Trojan Forum Forum Index -> Re-presses / releases and re-issues / new vinyl All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group