Trojan Forum Forum Index Trojan Forum
Trojan and other JA music discussion forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Skinhead Moonstomp .... take 2 ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Trojan Forum Forum Index -> Music! Music! Music! (JA & other)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bosssounds
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Seth - that certainly throws some light on it. A shame that Tony can't recall more though.

Yes, they don't have 'the look' quite right do they? I remember looking at the brogues thinking 'they look like Taverners', which was a brand of cheap brogue I was permitted to wear by dear mother in about 1971 (I had real-deal tasselled loafers the following year though). They weren't proper, chunky, sort of rounded, slightly pointed brogues with a thick sole and wide welt but just ultra flat, dull things.
Dr. Sploom
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bosssounds wrote:
Thanks Seth - that certainly throws some light on it. A shame that Tony can't recall more though.

Yes, they don't have 'the look' quite right do they? I remember looking at the brogues thinking 'they look like Taverners', which was a brand of cheap brogue I was permitted to wear by dear mother in about 1971 (I had real-deal tasselled loafers the following year though). They weren't proper, chunky, sort of rounded, slightly pointed brogues with a thick sole and wide welt but just ultra flat, dull things.
No worries. Glad to be of help! Wink

As for 'the look', the northerners, never did, get it right, at that time, did they? Too far removed, from London, and the lifestyle, there, I reckon. Though, they gave it, a try. I'll give 'em that. I doubt most of them, would have been able, to afford, or find the proper gear, to begin with!

It's funny though, Levis, were the jeans, one had to have. Lee's were okay, but you wanted Levis. And, only the northern kids, seemed to wear Wrangler, from what I've learned. No one in London, would want to get caught wearing them, unless mum was going to get them Tesco jeans, instead. Laughing

For me, I started off only wearing Levis. They had to be the red tabbed, 501's, or 505's. I later tried on, a pair of Wrangler's at a thrift store, and was amazed, at how much better, they fit me, than Levis ever had! So, I wore Wranglers, until I put the boots 'n' braces, into storage, five years ago.

The biggest problem I have with Wranglers is that, they aren't peg legged! Levis give you the most wonderful turn-up cuffs! Wranglers, I had to wrangle the damned things, into having the .25 inch cuffs, I'd grown accustomed to! Have to have gran, sew them, into place, too!

But, at least, they didn't do the tackle in, like Levis would. There's nothing worse, than trying to sound like Barry White, when pulling birds, but after you adjust your trousers, you sound more like Mickey Mouse! Laughing

I hate Disneyland. It primes our kids for Las Vegas.
-Tom Waits
stu
Freedom Festival

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Sploom wrote:
It's funny though, Levis, were the jeans, one had to have. Lee's were okay, but you wanted Levis. And, only the northern kids, seemed to wear Wrangler, from what I've learned. No one in London, would want to get caught wearing them, unless mum was going to get them Tesco jeans, instead.
I remember when those guys that wore the Supermarket jeans were ridiculed for having "Tesco Bombers," and now you see Supermarkets advertising their imitations as being cool Rolling Eyes
Now I prefer Hollister, Abercrombie and Ecko rather than George, TU or the other inferior brands and I'm sure we all know the joke about C&A. Wink
Dr. Sploom
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stu wrote:
Dr. Sploom wrote:
It's funny though, Levis, were the jeans, one had to have. Lee's were okay, but you wanted Levis. And, only the northern kids, seemed to wear Wrangler, from what I've learned. No one in London, would want to get caught wearing them, unless mum was going to get them Tesco jeans, instead.
I remember when those guys that wore the Supermarket jeans were ridiculed for having "Tesco Bombers," and now you see Supermarkets advertising their imitations as being cool Rolling Eyes
Now I prefer Hollister, Abercrombie and Ecko rather than George, TU or the other inferior brands and I'm sure we all know the joke about C&A. Wink
Ah yes....C&A. I loved the adverts for "Man at C&A".....And, Delboy, only made it funnier, on "Fools & Horses". I always got a chuckle out of them, both....C&A makes great gear, if you were going to go fishing, and didn't want to ruin, quality clobber, though. Now, H&M, has filled the void. Mr. Green

-Tom Waits
Zapatoo_the_Tiger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rarely "do" names...if something takes my fancy I'll buy it (I was always like that), but I am pleased with the 4 or 5 Ben Sherman's I've got.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63rcdLeXiU8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFuYIi5-igc
Zapatoo_the_Tiger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stu wrote:
...ridiculed for having "Tesco Bombers,"
I'd completely forgotten that term, Stu - thanks for the reminder.

Zapatoo_the_Tiger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zapatoo_the_Tiger wrote:
stu wrote:
...ridiculed for having "Tesco Bombers,"
I'd completely forgotten that term, Stu - thanks for the reminder.
...and for the record, I managed to avoid those!

Dr. Sploom
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zapatoo_the_Tiger wrote:
I rarely "do" names...if something takes my fancy I'll buy it (I was always like that), but I am pleased with the 4 or 5 Ben Sherman's I've got.
I've never really been dedicated, to names, either. A few, immediately are equated, to quality, though. And, I'd plump for their gear, when I'd come across it.

Ben Sherman I used to covet, as it was so hard to come by, in my part of Virginia. I loved how they fit, and the price, was usually representative, of the quality. But then, they started getting made, outside the UK, and I immediately noticed, how shite they'd become. Even worse, when they started getting made, in China. Now, I refuse to buy Ben Sherman, unless I find something, at a jumble sale, or thrift store. I've been lucky, to find 15 year old, or older, Ben Sherman's, still with the original price tags, so I'm set for life.

The American brands, I could get my hands on, easiest, and that looked like a Benny, was Arrow, and Van Heusen. Great stuff, back 20 years ago! Then, in RVA, you had this fellow named Perry Ellis, who made some custom clobber, that was very nice! Beecroft & Bull, was my favourite, though....My god, their button down was the best, out there! J.Press could be had, if you were willing to travel to Washington City. But, I liked supporting the local guys/gals, so never got one of those. But, I was always impressed with their classic styles. Smile

Nowadays, it's mostly military surplus, Fila trainers, and perhaps a classic Fila polo. Quite scruffy, compared to my svelte younger self. Laughing

A quick read, for those of you, into the Mod/Skinhead look, it's about a family run business, out of Virginia. Does their ethos, sound like any of the stores/shoppes, you'd find in London, during the '60's?

http://articles.dailypress.com/2009-12-03/business/0912020091_1_bryan-beecroft-craig-beecroft-hilton-village

Wink

-Tom Waits
Trev
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried looking at the Beecroft page but it's so full of ads - no wonder TV advertising is falling, internet a mash dem
Mind you I like the tune `Big Youth Fights Against Capitalism' Wink
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEkKGIM9O8Y
Andy C
Paradise

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zapatoo_the_Tiger wrote:

Exactly. That's what I call real style, rather than just follow fashion, got to have it because it's a particular brand. Just the same as the nowadays skins having to do the same dance move to every f'ing song. It loses individuality, but I guess that is what comes of being part of a "movement."
Dr. Sploom
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trev wrote:
I tried looking at the Beecroft page but it's so full of ads - no wonder TV advertising is falling, internet a mash dem
Mind you I like the tune `Big Youth Fights Against Capitalism' Wink
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEkKGIM9O8Y
Did you try the Beecroft homepage, itself, or that Daily Press link, I posted? The Beecroft homepage is rather hard, to navigate, I think....And, I didn't realise the Daily Press link, had adverts, but then, I use an ad-blocker, to begin with.

Smile

-Tom Waits
Dr. Sploom
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy C wrote:
Zapatoo_the_Tiger wrote:

Exactly. That's what I call real style, rather than just follow fashion, got to have it because it's a particular brand. Just the same as the nowadays skins having to do the same dance move to every f'ing song. It loses individuality, but I guess that is what comes of being part of a "movement."
In regards, to the dancing, I can see your logic, but I think lots of times, it's a case of people, not knowing the other dance moves, associated with the 1960's/early 1970's.

Most of the "skins" in Washington City, and RVA, that I was around, didn't know many, if any, dance moves, from that era. They'd only gotten into Skinhead because of Punk Rock, or Hardcore, which is going to lead things, getting lost in translation, when it comes to those of us, that got into Skinhead from a love of the Ivy Look, and things 1960's. Rolling Eyes

Imagine selecting at a do, and you're spinning some of the best Ska, or Reggae, and all you get, is people bitching about wanting "real Ska", not this sped up Jazz, you're rinsing. Or they only dance, cuz Simaryp's "Skinhead Moonstomp", got played. Yet, none of them, are moonhopping, to it! Mad

As for the individuality, some of it, does get lost, when you join a "movement/subculture/something similar", but at the same time, you can still keep it, I feel, if you're joining the movement, to have fun. Not to have an identity.

I think, that was the worst part, of my time being a Skinhead. The people that became one, because they needed an identity. I saw loads of it, in Los Angeles. The tattoos, of when they were a Goth, or a Punk, or a Rockabilly. That's when I'd had enough. These folks, were nothing more, than posers, and after 20 odd years, of dealing with more of these types of people, at do's, than those, looking for a good time, and who had a genuine affection of the style, I finally moved on. Some days, I miss it, most days I don't. Rolling Eyes

-Tom Waits
Zapatoo_the_Tiger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess most people want to "belong" or have some kind of identity.

Frustrating that they didn't understand Ska, but presumably they didn't really know about (or of) it and that being the case, wouldn't know about 60s dancing.

Dr. Sploom
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zapatoo_the_Tiger wrote:
I guess most people want to "belong" or have some kind of identity.

Frustrating that they didn't understand Ska, but presumably they didn't really know about (or of) it and that being the case, wouldn't know about 60s dancing.
I get the belonging part. That's a big part, of joining something, with like minded people. Or what's supposed to be with like minded people.

Even worse, was when we'd have footage of Ska dances, from the golden era of the 1960's, playing on a silver screen, as a backdrop, to show folks, the steps they could learn. But, most people, only wanted to do, what the 1980's, dictated.

Which was fine, but to slag off proper Ska? Or people trying to dance, the dances, that made it, what it became? It baffles the mind!

Especially, when folks, are popping round, looking for a good time. That really irked me. I loved the folks, that would be walking down Franklin St. and would hear a song, that brought them inside. They'd want to know, what that wonderful music, was called. They'd pick your brain, for information. Then, become a regular attendee, and act like a child, on Christmas morning.....Telling you, this artist, or that artist, was as good as you'd said they were.

It really made you feel good, enlightening others, about the wonderful stories, Jamaican music, has, to teach the rest of the world. Meanwhile, the so called "Skinheads" seemed to be there, to poke holes, in the balloon. One prat, announced he was hosting a proper "Skinhead" night, on Wednesday's, at a different venue, that would feature "real" Skinhead music. AKA: Punk, Oi!, Hardcore, 2-Tone, and modern acts, like the Aggrolites.

It made selecting, at Pressure Drop, a hassle, at times, cuz it made some newcomers, shy away, from what we were trying to do, with the night.

That's another reason, I'm a wee irked, with this second coming of "Skinhead Moonstomp". To me, all this is going to do, is add another layer, of dust/dirt, to the bonafide style, and panache, of the original Skinhead subculture's, soundtrack, and replace it, with something, less pure, and original. But then, what do I know? I've only ever given talks on British culture, and subculture's of the 1950's-1980's......Mr. Green

-Tom Waits
Zapatoo_the_Tiger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In essence a case ignorance NOT being bliss in this case from what I can gather, Seth.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Trojan Forum Forum Index -> Music! Music! Music! (JA & other) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: