Trojan Forum Forum Index Trojan Forum
Trojan and other JA music discussion forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bob's Live! - Deluxe Edition

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Trojan Forum Forum Index -> Re-presses / releases and re-issues / new vinyl
View previous topic :: View next topic  
j j
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject: Bob's Live! - Deluxe Edition Reply with quote

apologies if already mentioned...A two disc set, track list but no soundies , all from two nights at Lyceum

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Live-Bob-Marley-Wailers/dp/B074WKJZTG/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1507117407&sr=1-1&refinements=p_n_date%3A182239031

I'm undecided Confused
Zapatoo_the_Tiger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Already have the 1 CD set...and don't enjoy "live" albums particularly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63rcdLeXiU8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFuYIi5-igc
99thfloor
Paradise

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you know that this was already released on LP (triple) back in December. Here is the old thread: http://forum.trojanrecords.com/viewtopic.php?t=13664
But judging by the responses the interest wasn't especially high, so I can see how it could have been missed and/or forgotten. Smile

I have never understood why Reggae fans are so anti-Live. Sure many Reggae concerts are underrehearsed and unsatisfactory for that reason, and there are also many bad recordings of live performances. But I can't believe that an artist and/or a band playing music live in person in itself can be seen as a bad thing, or is it?

This here is an excellent performance and the original album is right up there with any Classic Rock Live album of the 70's, and with this release you get more of a good thing (even if I think the new mixes are inferior).

I was never going to get that 3-LP set (I have only been streaming it so far), I have been waiting for this 2-CD, I knew it would come evetually.

Last edited by 99thfloor on Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
RudePete
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like (good) live albums, Reggae or otherwise..... "Live" and parts of Babylon By Bus are excellent, but I have so much DVD footage of BM & W's live (and I saw them at The Rainbow in '77) that I don't think I need any more....
Surprised
Zapatoo_the_Tiger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RudePete wrote:
I like (good) live albums, Reggae or otherwise...
I probably have about 20 live albums out of my whole lot.

Among ones I've liked since whenever have been "King Curtis Live At Fillmore West" (1970), "Betty Wright Live!" (1978) and Blue ÷yster Cult's "Some Enchanted Evening" (1978)...those are the ones that always spring immediately to mind, with honorable mentions to Rufus's "Live :Stompin' At The Savoy" (1983) and the Crusader's "Royal Jam" (1981).

...probably several I like thatI've forgotten.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63rcdLeXiU8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFuYIi5-igc
Andy C
I Am The Winner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

99thfloor wrote:
I hope you know that this was already released on LP (triple) back in December. Here is the old thread: http://forum.trojanrecords.com/viewtopic.php?t=13664
But judging by the responses the interest wasn't especially high, so I can see how it could have been missed and/or forgotten. Smile

I have never understood why Reggae fans are so anti-Live. Sure many Reggae concerts are underrehearsed and unsatisfactory for that reason, and there are also many bad recordings of live performances. But I can't believe that an artist and/or a band playing music live in person in itself can be seen as a bad thing, or is it?

This here is an excellent performance and the original album is right up there with any Classic Rock Live album of the 70's, and with this release you get more of a good thing (even if I think the new mixes are inferior).

I was never going to get that 3-LP set (I have only been streaming it so far), I have been waiting for this 2-CD, I knew it would come evetually.

Just listened to I Shot The Sheriff from the deluxe set. It's clear that the I-Three vocals are much weaker than on the original album. As deluxe was mixed from the original 2 track tape, that means the old 1975 LP must have had the vocals overdubbed later in the studio.
RudePete
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy C wrote:

Just listened to I Shot The Sheriff from the deluxe set. It's clear that the I-Three vocals are much weaker than on the original album. As deluxe was mixed from the original 2 track tape, that means the old 1975 LP must have had the vocals overdubbed later in the studio.

Interesting... IIRC Marcia missed this tour (pregnant?), so that's maybe why it sounded light....
99thfloor
Paradise

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I said above that I have the impression that "Reggae fans are so anti-Live", I didn't just mean in regards to live albums. I have also heard and read quite a few Reggae fans who say they don't enjoy live music in real life, that is going to a show to see a band play. Any thoughts on that?

There are basically two types of live albums, one is the type where the performer more or less replicates the studio arrangements, and that is a bit pointless to have on record, but the interesting type is the other one where the material is transformed in live performance, and I think Marley belongs in the latter category.

Zapatoo_the_Tiger wrote:
Among ones I've liked since whenever have been "King Curtis Live At Fillmore West" (1970), "Betty Wright Live!" (1978) and Blue ÷yster Cult's "Some Enchanted Evening" (1978)...those are the ones that always spring immediately to mind...

Wow, I never thought I'd find a B.÷.C. fan here (and one who spells the name with the "÷" even)! I am a huge fan and that is a very good album. Have you heard the earlier On Your Feet Or On Your Knees? They go well together since no songs are repeated.

Andy C wrote:

I think we may have met in a discussion of this subject on another forum. Wink

A two track tape in this case would be a mix-down tape, so nothing is mixed from two track. The liner notes says it's "mastered from the original two track analog master tapes", but has no mention of mixing.

I don't think it is known what source they had for this release, and there has now been a lot of speculation about where this mix comes from, since there are things that point to this not being a new remix from multi-tracks. A suggestion has been that this is a reference mix made at the time and that Universal do not have access to the actual multis. I do think that the mix on this is inferior to the original album.

RudePete wrote:
IIRC Marcia missed this tour (pregnant?), so that's maybe why it sounded light....

Yes, they are in fact the "I-Twos" at this show, and you're right Marcia is missing (I too have read that she was pregnant), on "Kinky Reggae" you hear Bob only introducing "sister Judy" and "sister Rita". I have read someone mentioning additional session work for the original album that included vocal overdubs by "Sue and Sunny", does anyone know anything about this?
RudePete
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

99thfloor wrote:
When I said above that I have the impression that "Reggae fans are so anti-Live", I didn't just mean in regards to live albums. I have also heard and read quite a few Reggae fans who say they don't enjoy live music in real life, that is going to a show to see a band play. Any thoughts on that?

I was at Reggae gigs almost every week back in the 70's and 80's and saw pretty much every singer/band that I wanted... One notable exception being Joe Higgs.. Sad . And, Ras Michael & The Sons Of Negus: I got to The Rainbow Theatre for their gig only to see "Cancelled" signs on the door..... Although somewhat less frequent these days, I still see live shows (original foundation artists usually) as and when.... Ken Boothe on the Thames Cruise next Year to look forward to... Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Trojan Forum Forum Index -> Re-presses / releases and re-issues / new vinyl All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: