Trojan Forum Forum Index Trojan Forum
Trojan and other JA music discussion forum
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ken Boothe - Got To Get Away

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Trojan Forum Forum Index -> Re-presses / releases and re-issues / new vinyl
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Zapatoo_the_Tiger
Site Admin


Joined: 12 May 2003
Posts: 61689
Location: Surrey (KT16)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:50 pm    Post subject: Ken Boothe - Got To Get Away Reply with quote

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Got-Get-Away-Ken-Boothe/dp/B074XTXW7D/ref=pd_cart_recs_2_3?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B074XTXW7D&pd_rd_r=2MYRV9K6ZNQGWH2TBHAE&pd_rd_w=Numw1&pd_rd_wg=J4dQO&psc=1&refRID=2MYRV9K6ZNQGWH2TBHAE

Reissue of the late 70s Phil Pratt thing...handsome rhythms, but no bonus tracks.
_________________
Play it nice and cool, son. Nice and cool! You know what I mean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63rcdLeXiU8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFuYIi5-igc
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
Zapatoo_the_Tiger
Site Admin


Joined: 12 May 2003
Posts: 61689
Location: Surrey (KT16)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vinyl, CD and download...
_________________
Play it nice and cool, son. Nice and cool! You know what I mean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63rcdLeXiU8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFuYIi5-igc
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
Andy C
I Am The Winner


Joined: 25 May 2004
Posts: 472
Location: Dartford

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got this today. Somewhat mixed feelings: I've always liked these over-looked recording by Ken from 1978, and this showcase is a good enough in its own right with 3 songs in vocal, DJ and dub workouts.

The original vinyl LP seemed to be reasonably obscure [and therefore expensive] for some time. Trojan opted to issue the tracks on Who Get's Your Love [TRLS164], a strange mish-mash of an album with the title song, This Love and Got To Get Away joined by You're No Good, African Lady and Artibella to make up the set.

Phill Pratt issued a very satisfying 8 track album called Disco Reggae, with Who Gets Your Love, Got To Get Away and This Love from the Showcase set and 5 other 1978 tracks; a recut of Freedom Street, Tears From My Eyes, What You Gonna Do, Nobody's Fault But Mine, Tell Me What You Gonna Do and the title song.

A shame then that this new CD didn't explore the Disco Reggae set for bonus tracks and alternate mixes. The sleeve notes are the usual career overview rather than detailing the actual release. I analysed the tracks in Traders Little Helper to check whether the source was from mp3, and it returned results suggesting they were lossless with only 49% probability.
Sad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Zapatoo_the_Tiger
Site Admin


Joined: 12 May 2003
Posts: 61689
Location: Surrey (KT16)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't been tempted...
_________________
Play it nice and cool, son. Nice and cool! You know what I mean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63rcdLeXiU8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFuYIi5-igc
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
Dr. Sploom
Golden Festival


Joined: 25 Dec 2007
Posts: 30518
Location: Commonwealth of Virginia

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy C wrote:
Got this today. Somewhat mixed feelings: I've always liked these over-looked recording by Ken from 1978, and this showcase is a good enough in its own right with 3 songs in vocal, DJ and dub workouts.

The original vinyl LP seemed to be reasonably obscure [and therefore expensive] for some time. Trojan opted to issue the tracks on Who Get's Your Love [TRLS164], a strange mish-mash of an album with the title song, This Love and Got To Get Away joined by You're No Good, African Lady and Artibella to make up the set.

Phill Pratt issued a very satisfying 8 track album called Disco Reggae, with Who Gets Your Love, Got To Get Away and This Love from the Showcase set and 5 other 1978 tracks; a recut of Freedom Street, Tears From My Eyes, What You Gonna Do, Nobody's Fault But Mine, Tell Me What You Gonna Do and the title song.

A shame then that this new CD didn't explore the Disco Reggae set for bonus tracks and alternate mixes. The sleeve notes are the usual career overview rather than detailing the actual release. I analysed the tracks in Traders Little Helper to check whether the source was from mp3, and it returned results suggesting they were lossless with only 49% probability.
Sad
Thanks Andy. This synopsis is greatly appreciated. Wink
_________________
It seems that our brave new world is becoming less tolerant, spiritual and educated than it ever was when I was young.
-Lemmy Kilmister

I hate Disneyland. It primes our kids for Las Vegas.
-Tom Waits
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Zapatoo_the_Tiger
Site Admin


Joined: 12 May 2003
Posts: 61689
Location: Surrey (KT16)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+ 1.

Thanks, Andy Cool
_________________
Play it nice and cool, son. Nice and cool! You know what I mean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63rcdLeXiU8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFuYIi5-igc
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
j j
Golden Festival


Joined: 07 Sep 2003
Posts: 2462
Location: NZ

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Andy C,

I'm a bit dim sometimes ('sometimes" I hear in the background) & haven't got a head for numbers , can someone explain

"and it returned results suggesting they were lossless with only 49% probability. "

Does that mean it is taken from mp3, or as it's only 49% it's not exactly sure it's from mp3?

thanks for any help & for the great revue Smile
_________________
j j
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Andy C
I Am The Winner


Joined: 25 May 2004
Posts: 472
Location: Dartford

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

49% probability that it's not from a lossless source. So 51% likely to be compromised in some way.

I claim to be no expert on these things either, but given the other Phill Pratt CDs show the same or similar results, there is obviously something going on with the source of the Ken Boothe and Al Campbell releases.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
j j
Golden Festival


Joined: 07 Sep 2003
Posts: 2462
Location: NZ

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy - maybe Pratt no longer has the tapes? Crying or Very Sad
_________________
j j
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mark123p
On Board


Joined: 21 May 2017
Posts: 46
Location: The Couch

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He can borrow my record. Original tapes are not often used in reggae for re-issues I think.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Zapatoo_the_Tiger
Site Admin


Joined: 12 May 2003
Posts: 61689
Location: Surrey (KT16)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does Phil Pratt still operate that vegetarian restaurant in Harlesden?
_________________
Play it nice and cool, son. Nice and cool! You know what I mean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63rcdLeXiU8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFuYIi5-igc
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Trojan Forum Forum Index -> Re-presses / releases and re-issues / new vinyl All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group