Trojan Forum Forum Index Trojan Forum
Trojan and other JA music discussion forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Doctor Bird reissue: Justin Hinds & The Dominoes
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Trojan Forum Forum Index -> Re-presses / releases and re-issues / new vinyl
View previous topic :: View next topic  
99thfloor
Paradise

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mango Guava Reggae wrote:
Wonder if you refer the one included on Ranking Miss P compilation.

No, that is the Rocksteady version, and the three you listed there are the three common ones I mentioned.

I think the whole thing is a misunderstanding, I managed to find the old thread and it is something that Ray (moreaxe) said that caused the confusion: http://forum.trojanrecords.com/viewtopic.php?t=12543&start=30
Zapatoo_the_Tiger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RudePete wrote:
Bosssounds wrote:

Have to say I don't have anything on Dub Store and have never delved into its catalogue.

The Merritone compilations are fantastic... Lots of quality Rock Steady I never heard back in the day.... Smile
+ 1 - WRT volume 1 at least Cool Wink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63rcdLeXiU8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFuYIi5-igc
Dr. Sploom
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bosssounds wrote:
Quote:
Looks good:

+1
+2. The bonus tracks, make this, a winner, for me. "Sufferation 1969", alone, is worth a punt, if you didn't score the 45, a few years back. Wink

I hate Disneyland. It primes our kids for Las Vegas.
-Tom Waits
Mango Guava Reggae
Get On The Ball

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also open for suggestions regarding the Dub Stor Records reissues. From the point of view that I have only the two Bunny Wailer compilations. I also discovered the album Take It Easy by Hopeton Lewis in 2017...it is such a wonderful album. So far I have on my list the following listed below. If any other titles are a must, I will keep that in mind, and order them before the prices escalates.

Merritone Rock Steady Vol.1 (Shanty Town Curfew 1966-1967)
Merritone Rock Steady Vol.2 (This Music Got Soul 1966-1967)
Merritone Rock Steady Vol.3 (Ten Rare Singles 1966-1967)
Derrick Harriott Rock Steady (1966-1969)
Derrick Harriott Reggae, Funk & Soul (1969-1975)
Winston Riley Rock Steady & Early Reggae (1968-1969)
The Kingston Rock (Winston Jarrett/Horace Andy)
Grounation (Count Ossie & The Mystic Revelation Of Rastafari)
possibly go for some King Jammys'compilations, if track listing differ enough from the compilations issued by VP between 2006-2015.
Dr. Sploom
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mango Guava Reggae wrote:
I'm also open for suggestions regarding the Dub Stor Records reissues. From the point of view that I have only the two Bunny Wailer compilations. I also discovered the album Take It Easy by Hopeton Lewis in 2017...it is such a wonderful album. So far I have on my list the following listed below. If any other titles are a must, I will keep that in mind, and order them before the prices escalates.

Merritone Rock Steady Vol.1 (Shanty Town Curfew 1966-1967)
Merritone Rock Steady Vol.2 (This Music Got Soul 1966-1967)
Merritone Rock Steady Vol.3 (Ten Rare Singles 1966-1967)
Derrick Harriott Rock Steady (1966-1969)
Derrick Harriott Reggae, Funk & Soul (1969-1975)
Winston Riley Rock Steady & Early Reggae (1968-1969)
The Kingston Rock (Winston Jarrett/Horace Andy)
Grounation (Count Ossie & The Mystic Revelation Of Rastafari)
possibly go for some King Jammys'compilations, if track listing differ enough from the compilations issued by VP between 2006-2015.

Dub Store=quality sets.

The problem for me, is that, I don't have deep enough pockets, to afford everything, they're flogging. I reckon, I'd purchase around 95%, of what I've seen, over the 15 years, I've known about the label.

The sound is usually top notch. The liners, are usually, fairly good. Though, the translation from Japanese, to English, does at times, have been deciphering, what they mean. Which, is fine.....(see what I did, there?)

Tommy is a top bloke, and continually, blows my mind, at the things, he's able to get his hands, on, then release, for the world, to enjoy....... Wink

-Tom Waits
Mango Guava Reggae
Get On The Ball

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Sploom wrote:
Dub Store=quality sets...The problem for me, is that, I don't have deep enough pockets, to afford everything, they're flogging.

Same here I cannot get everything as there is too much being released (all labels combined). Unlike many who writes on this board, I have very little Jamaican music recorded prior to 1972, an area that I wasn't much drawn into in the past. I'm now realizing the treasure I was missing. I'm currently building that collection. And as you state, my pocked aren't wide enough, so I have to aim the the proper compilations. I am purchasing older compilations that are $$ before they get even more expensive, but at the same time, I try to get the ones that still have regular prices. By chance, I am not after the vinyls Exclamation Exclamation Surprised
Benj65
Get On The Ball

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey MGR, those Jammys Dub Store comps don't clash too much with the VP comps. I have 4 vols and I think they are great. Sound quality is top notch.

By searching hard online I managed to get them each for around GBP14 landed to UK. Not cheap.

I spent a couple of years or more a while ago trying to fill in rock steady and early reggae gaps in my collection (CD only). If you want any comments or advice on particular comps, just ask.
Dan Two Sevens
Get On The Ball

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know what happened to the volume 5 of Dub Store's excellent recent King Jammys series? It was due for release in spring 2017 but never came out.

I have the first 4, so for the 5th and final release not to come out would be slightly irritating considering the cover art and track listing is online!

Thks Confused
https://www.instagram.com/dantwosevens/
Mango Guava Reggae
Get On The Ball

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benj65 wrote:
Hey MGR, those Jammys Dub Store comps don't clash too much with the VP comps. I have 4 vols and I think they are great. Sound quality is top notch.

By searching hard online I managed to get them each for around GBP14 landed to UK. Not cheap.

I spent a couple of years or more a while ago trying to fill in rock steady and early reggae gaps in my collection (CD only). If you want any comments or advice on particular comps, just ask.

Thanks Benj65, I have listened to the Selector's Choice Volume 1 for the first time this week and was quite impress. In general, the digital area isn't too much my thing, but the compilation is really good and I think it will grow on me. I'll contact you directly. Very Happy
Zapatoo_the_Tiger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One can get used to digital after a while - I've come to like plenty (slowly but surely) in the last 15 years or so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63rcdLeXiU8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFuYIi5-igc
Mango Guava Reggae
Get On The Ball

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zapatoo_the_Tiger wrote:
One can get used to digital after a while - I've come to like plenty (slowly but surely) in the last 15 years or so.
Smile
ReggaeFire
Paradise

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Sploom wrote:
/quote]

Dub Store=quality sets.

The problem for me, is that, I don't have deep enough pockets, to afford everything, they're flogging. I reckon, I'd purchase around 95
The sound is usually top notch. The liners, are usually, fairly good

Many of the recent releases are now going for surpringly low prices, check out importcds.com they have the new ones for about $14 each. As for liner notes, they only have liner notes for the anthology sets, the straight album reissues are very barebones, just reproduction sleeves of the original. Not that I mind too much, but something to note.
Mango Guava Reggae
Get On The Ball

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ReggaeFire wrote:
Dr. Sploom wrote:
/quote]

Dub Store=quality sets.

The problem for me, is that, I don't have deep enough pockets, to afford everything, they're flogging. I reckon, I'd purchase around 95

Many of the recent releases are now going for surpringly low prices, check out importcds.com they have the new ones for about $14 each. As for liner notes, they only have liner notes for the anthology sets, the straight album reissues are very barebones, just reproduction sleeves of the original. Not that I mind too much, but something to note.

Thanks for the info!! Some are even at 13$
Dr. Sploom
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ReggaeFire wrote:
Dr. Sploom wrote:
/quote]

Dub Store=quality sets.

Thanks for the tips, Jon. Wink

-Tom Waits
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Trojan Forum Forum Index -> Re-presses / releases and re-issues / new vinyl All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: