Trojan Forum Forum Index Trojan Forum
Trojan and other JA music discussion forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looks Like EB Reggae Is Out of Business

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Trojan Forum Forum Index -> Music! Music! Music! (JA & other)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr. Sploom
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:26 pm    Post subject: Looks Like EB Reggae Is Out of Business Reply with quote

Haven't been able, to access the website, today. Was going to see what they had left, I could hoover up, with Christmas money. For the most part, I had great luck with EBR. I know others, had a problem, or two....Maybe more. But, I never had a bad experience.

I'm not surprised, I couldn't go to the page, as we've discussed it looked like, he was throwing in the towel, for a few months now. I also, mentioned recently, I had over $1,000 worth of stuff, in a saved cart, which only a few days ago, had everything in the cart, "Out of Stock".

RIP, EB Reggae.

Neutral

I hate Disneyland. It primes our kids for Las Vegas.
-Tom Waits
Zapatoo_the_Tiger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realise it will be a musical loss to some, but not me, as I never used Ernie B and rarely visited the website.

Correspondence from him in this topic (plus a few replies):

http://www.bloodandfire.co.uk/db/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=48635

For those not interested in what he wrote (I didn't read it all), here it is...

Over at Blood & Fire, Ernie B wrote:
Hi All,

I am sad to officially report to you what is obvious: EBrecords (formally Ernie B's Reggae) will be closing soon. Trying to grow and maintain the company proved to be impossible for me due to the highly contentious partnership (two owners is one too many, especially family). I couldn't keep it glued together any longer. As a last ditch effort I sold my half ownership to my brother back in 2015 (and promptly put my proceeds back into the business) but even that didn't fix it.

I feel very bad for the customers and vendors because at the end of the day it was you who were 99% responsible for it's amazing success. That's why I hung in there for so long and put every last drop of energy and money I had into it (besides the fact that I didn't want to go out and get a real job!).

I am starting over with a new company, called Millions of Records. You can sign up for emails on my website but it's not taking orders yet (http://www.MillionsOfRecords.com). Please sign up for the emails asap - important to keep you in the loop (it's going to be a fun loop to be in). Website will be accepting orders in about a month.

My new website will be a lame, simple website at first. I might as well be honest, the new website is super simple and lacks some important features. It will function OK but it's very simplistic. Please bear with me while I work on the "real" website while this lame one is providing me with some desperately needed income at the start. After I gain some momentum I will launch the redesigned/upgraded website with all of the great features EBrecords.com had, plus many more (and without the kinks and idiosyncrasies of course).

I sure wish I could have kept EBrecords going. It's a lot of work starting from scratch! Luckily, and I mean VERY lucky, I have made a lot of friends who have reggae collections and they are letting me sell some of their records on consignment through my new website. Some pretty crazy reggae oldies! Thousands and thousands of killer 70s-80s singles and LPs. Lots of CDs too. Way more used reggae than Ernie B's ever had. Someone also consigned a huge stock (over 100,000 units) of tapes and CDs (all genres) so overall there will be a great selection of all genres on all formats, new and used. Records stores will have a field day as well. It's good to have friends because without them I would have no records to sell!

With your help I can build this up to even better than what Ernie B's was in it's heyday. That's my goal. It's going to take a while because I literally have to start from the ground up. I've done it before though so it will be easier this time.

Thank you for all of your support. You wouldn't believe the emails I am getting from customers; the support is almost overwhelming! That keeps me going. I promise to put in some serious effort in providing great selection, prices and service.

That was a wild 24-year roller coaster ride, mostly at the top (a lot of fun watching cartloads of reggae ship in and out every day). The roller coaster never went down, actually it crashed at the top and left me dangling over the edge. I finally just let myself drop to the pavement. I'm OK though and I'm ditching the roller coaster and boarding the rocket-ship while we build this up again. Rockets rise slowly during liftoff so please hang in there a bit while I get this going. The good news is that as I am typing this message I am surrounded by records - I don't know where to start! Give me records and a computer and that's all I need.

It's fun to get your emails after you open your boxes. I always loved your stories and anecdotes about record you bought from me. If you are like me you can remember exactly where and when you bought every record in your collection. I hope you join in on the fun, I can't play all these records myself!

Best regards to all,

Ernie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63rcdLeXiU8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFuYIi5-igc
Dr. Sploom
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that, Top Kick. I rarely head to B&F, these days, so had no idea, he'd posted that. Or if it was mentioned on here, it didn't stick. Rolling Eyes

I completely understand, about not buying from EB. I used to frequent online merchants, from the UK, quite heavily, 7+ years ago, but the postage hikes, have made it, too expensive for me, to do so. At least with EB, I could still afford the postage. Seems to be the norm, for whatever country, one lives in. If you order from within one's borders, one gets a cheaper rate......Silly me, thinking technology, was supposed to make life better, and cheaper...... Rolling Eyes

-Tom Waits
Charlie Chalk
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't bought from Ernie B for many years.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/iloveoxfordutd/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=25&_trksid=p3984.m1543.l2654
Zapatoo_the_Tiger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first reason I didn't buy from Ernie B's was because I won't deal in dollars, having got my fingers burned online a dozen or so years ago...

...and my mate Kev used to buy frequently from them - a dozen or more at a time, until the Post Office decided to start charging him (and others) import duty, which made the overall cost prohibitive...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63rcdLeXiU8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFuYIi5-igc
ReggaeFire
Paradise

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They closed on Christmas Eve. At the end they was really nothing of value left, and even that they sold most of. The last week they were selling everything at 90% off, so many of those worthless Jet Star releases were being sold for less then 10 cents each. Even at that price I wasn’t interested.

Still I did end up with a fairly large haul over the past 6 months. Lots of Reggae Fever 45s which I would never buy at full retail price, but at $4-$5 I went for. I probably bought 75 45s, 25 CDs and maybe 10 LPs.

I hopeful that Ernie’s new business will pick up where he left off, it should be up and running in a few months.
RudePete
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie Chalk wrote:
I haven't bought from Ernie B for many years.

Same here, but I bought a fair amount until the shipping charges became ridiculous....
BAFF BOOM
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another one bites the dust,never ordered from EB as the postage was ridiculously high,sad 😞😞
Mango Guava Reggae
Music Is The Key

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Living in Canada, I've ordered many times from EB Records. I'd rather purchased from him than Amazon or similar. And the prices were top notch. The shipping cost were affordable and the service was excellent. I have rarely had problem with custom fees, maybe once or twice. I think it was when the shipping went through FedEx. The minute I used 'US Mail Priority International', I don't recall having custom fees issues. I really miss the store. He's a hard working man and I will give him my support for his new business.

I've received a similar email from Ernie himself (early December). It wasn't written from the perspective of 'Person to person', but more from the perspective of 'Thanks for your support and let me explain what happen (sent to several customers)'. It's quite a longer explanation. As he's talking about several issues, including some with business partnership with his brother, it may not be appropriate to post the complete story on the board. For customers who miss the store you will appreciate the story behind the store. You can contact me and I will post the message to you directly.

EB: I am wishing you all the best with this new store you are starting!
Dr. Sploom
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ReggaeFire wrote:
They closed on Christmas Eve. At the end they was really nothing of value left, and even that they sold most of. The last week they were selling everything at 90% off, so many of those worthless Jet Star releases were being sold for less then 10 cents each. Even at that price I wasn’t interested.

Still I did end up with a fairly large haul over the past 6 months. Lots of Reggae Fever 45s which I would never buy at full retail price, but at $4-$5 I went for. I probably bought 75 45s, 25 CDs and maybe 10 LPs.

I hopeful that Ernie’s new business will pick up where he left off, it should be up and running in a few months.
Nice one, on getting those RF 45's. I had at least 2 dozen, in the cart, before he closed up shop. Wink

I was planning on getting half, with Christmas money..... Rolling Eyes

-Tom Waits
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Trojan Forum Forum Index -> Music! Music! Music! (JA & other) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: