Trojan Forum Forum Index Trojan Forum
Trojan and other JA music discussion forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Skinhead + Revive Reggae recommendations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 222, 223, 224 ... 227, 228, 229  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Trojan Forum Forum Index -> Recommendations / Reviews / Clunkers and stinkers!!!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr. Sploom
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zapatoo_the_Tiger wrote:
JUDGE NOT appeared on 2011's "Trojan Presents: Ska" (Trojan - SPECXX2068)

...a lot of intrigue and frisson about it all...
Thanks for that, Joe. It seems, he's listed as "Bob Marley", on that set.....I figured, my query of "Robert Marley" would automatically, have things for "Bob" pop up, too.....

I need to dig that set out.....It's got a lovely track listing. Smile

I hate Disneyland. It primes our kids for Las Vegas.
-Tom Waits
Zapatoo_the_Tiger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not bad at all Cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63rcdLeXiU8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFuYIi5-igc
Dr. Sploom
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a rough week, and a half. My dog passed last Monday, thanks to lymphoma, then I got reprimanded at the museum, twice, in one day, soon after. So, I've been in need, of a morale booster. And, it arrived yesterday, in the post.

Behold! A wonderful offering, from Cherry Red's, Dr.Bird label:

https://www.cherryred.co.uk/product/no-more-heartaches-what-am-i-to-do/

For newcomers, it features probably the best, Harry J offered between '68-'69, and clearly shows, why Reggae became "the sound of now", for the Skinheads, wot with the chugging, Idareyounottodancetothis, music.

For others, it features some gems, not previously found, on anything Trojan has offered, since the original LP's, were issued!

Highlights abound, but for me, the best, were those that surprised me, as they were by Tony Scott. He's not an artist, I rank, in the upper echelon, of Reggae music. But, "Saturday Night", has the qualities, of a top recording star. A shame, he didn't release more tunes, that utilise his limited vocal range, better. I think, he'd of lasted a whole lot longer......

Also, it's nice to finally have a digi version of "Zumbelly", as the only copies, I've come across, are: over-priced, and not in the best nick.

Along with the great music, you get well researched, liner notes. The wording, is very appealing, as to what Squires Lambourn, and Griffiths, are trying to convey, to the general public.

One get's the feeling, if Dr.Bird, were to release an "NMH/WAITD?-Anoraks Edition", you would get the full monty, of the duo, as they would also be able to tell you all about the labels, the matrix numbers of the discs, etc, etc. -in great detail- , something, most folks get glassy eyed, and slack jawed over, when one starts rabbiting, about things, they have no idea about, or probably care.

I can only hope, Squires Lambourn, and Griffiths, in the future, are able to collaborate on a book, aimed squarely at fellow Reggae anoraks. Yes, there will quite a few people, who will bitch, and moan, about the book, as they simply "don't get it". But, that's okay. The book ain't for them, it's for us. Think of Basil Fawlty, when he declared: "this, is mine". Mr. Green

A five, out of five, star release. While, I already had 3/4's, of the set, on past Trojan compilations, it was nice to finally have both of these LP's, on one CD. And, the liner notes, label scans, and other Trojan related memorabilia, included, have me convinced, Dr.Bird, is trying to be the 21st century version of, JG.

Which, is a good thing, as Dr.Buster Dynamite, and Aad Van Der Hoek's liners, made those releases, quite special, for me: Great music, liners full of information, and images, that lent itself well, to how JG, marketed Reggae, to your average punter.

Cool

The pleasantries aside, I'm still not convinced, it's Glen Adams, on "Rich In Love". And, I don't hear the Conquerors on "Zumbelly", either. On the former, I hear Glen Brown, and the latter....The Scorchers? With Dennis' vocal delivery altered, as Keble Drummond did, while masquerading as "Herbie Carter"? Confused

The nice thing is, Squires Lambourn & Griffiths, are fairly amiable fellows, so any disagreement, will be handled in a pleasant dialog. This is due, in no small part, to their being mates with Caversham's "Skull-Krusher Schaeffert", who will sort you out, if you get well out of order, with them. Mr. Green

-Tom Waits
j j
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc , so sorry to hear about your dog. Did you have him/her for a long time?
They surely are great companions, never judging, always loving, probably the best friend a man could ever have.

my sincere sympathys

j j

p.s great review btw
Zapatoo_the_Tiger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So soory to hear about your dog, Seth - I hope he/she had enjoyed a long and carefree life...

Still haven't played that CD - biiiig pile of unplayed CDs indoors!

Dr. Sploom
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

j j wrote:
Doc , so sorry to hear about your dog. Did you have him/her for a long time?
They surely are great companions, never judging, always loving, probably the best friend a man could ever have.

my sincere sympathys

j j

p.s great review btw
Ta, jj. She was a 2002 model. Got lymphoma right before Christmas, and went downhill, soon come. Was rough seeing her, at the end, as she'd become so bony. She was still defiant, at the end. Couldn't walk, but if you helped her, she'd walk to her water bowl, for a drink.

Towards the end, she barked at me, to let me know, it was time for her to go. I think she was also telling me, "for all those times, you'd pull my tail, I have a surprise for you, later." And, boy, did she ever.....Two loo rolls, and several wash clothes later, I was able to bury her.....Mr. Green

The Dr.Bird CD, couldn't have arrived, at a better time.....It's been on heavy rotation, and has been quite the morale booster. Wink

-Tom Waits
Dr. Sploom
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zapatoo_the_Tiger wrote:
So soory to hear about your dog, Seth - I hope he/she had enjoyed a long and carefree life...

Still haven't played that CD - biiiig pile of unplayed CDs indoors!
Yes. She had a good life, at least to me, she did. I'm not fluent in Jack Russell, though. Wink

As for the CD, it's well worth, an afternoon, or evening in. And, I'm looking very much, to owning the other sets, Andy & Marc, do the liners for. It was a very enjoyable, reading what they had to tell us. Cool Cool

-Tom Waits
Dr. Sploom
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://trojanrecords.tmstor.es/cart/product.php?id=33335

Spied this, in a used CD shoppe, and paid just under 2 quid, for the lot! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I didn't really need it, but having a digi version of "Look Who A Buss Style", by the Meditators, is rather nice. Wink

Musically speaking, what you have here, is the companion, to the re-issue of "Monkey Business". Both sets, are squarely aimed, at presenting the sounds, that made being a Skinhead so much fun, back in the late '60's, and early '70's. For me, 90%(or so it seems) of both sets, has been reused, so often by Trojan, over the last quarter century, I'd dearly love to know: Is there anything "new", in the Trojan vault(s), for those of us, still wanting more, more, more! Of that infectious Reggae sound, championed by British Skinheads? Confused

That grouse aside, these two sets, should easily put to doubt, what Skinhead's are really about. But sadly, humans are flawed creatures, so the whole Skinheads=Reggae equation, will most likely, do nothing, but confuse most people. Rolling Eyes

Which is sad, when you think about it. For well over 20 years, there have been a plethora of Skinhead friendly, Reggae sets, put together, by Trojan, and a few other labels.

"Skinhead Jamboree", has to still be, the best single CD, put together, for this sub-genre of Reggae. "Skinhead Revolt", a close 2nd. And, also available as an LP!

"Dancehall '69", "Monkey Business", and "More Monkey Business" are deadlocked, for being the best 2-CD affair. Even if, "Monkey Business" was originally released in '80, as an LP. Wink

The two "Monkey's", cover the more mainstream stuff(though there are a few "rare" ditties), while "D'69", delves into the "rare" sounds.

The Trojan "Skinhead Reggae" box set, for me, is still the best multi-disc compilation, as it mixes both rare, and more popular sounds, together, in a rather nice track listing. At least, to me. Wink

"Dawning of An Era-The Birth of Skinhead Reggae", and "Reggae Pressure-Boss Sounds 1968-1970", are my two favourites, however. Both compilations, are filled with gems(rare & mainstream), though, good luck, finding both, at a sane price. Particularly, the latter. Mad Rolling Eyes

Trojan's "Boss Reggae", is another that is top notch, though the inclusion of Nat Cole's "Pack of Cards", still has me, scratching my head, over that.....faux paus. Mr. Green

As LC-H's liners, for "MMB" state -more or less- there has been an uptick, in the number of people, associating, or re-associating with the sounds, presented on all of these sets, I have listed, for the better part, of a decade. It's rather nice, to know, some folks, can see the value, of the music, or lyrics, each of these songs, contains.

For me, most have been an integral part of my life, for a quarter of a century, and at this point, I doubt they will cease to be, until I die.

Therefore, I give "MMB" 5/5 stars. And, declare it: Essential listening, at the least.

The presentation, really added to the overall experience, as the label scans, photos, and artwork, were first class! And, LC-Hs' liner notes, do a great job, of expressing what this/these "Monkey" sets, are trying to showcase/portray.

Smile

-Tom Waits
Zapatoo_the_Tiger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a pretty good "steal", Seth - great going - I don't think I have LOOK WHO A BUSS STYLE digitally, just the UK Success label...

Dr. Sploom
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zapatoo_the_Tiger wrote:
That was a pretty good "steal", Seth - great going - I don't think I have LOOK WHO A BUSS STYLE digitally, just the UK Success label...
Yes. I feel like, Dennis Moore. I guess, I should start calling my car, "Concord", and steal lupins. Mr. Green

-Tom Waits
Zapatoo_the_Tiger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Sploom wrote:
Yes. I feel like, Dennis Moore. I guess, I should start calling my car, "Concord", and steal lupins. Mr. Green
Just in case anyone doesn't know, here's a short sketch...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbtVaTWs6II

Dr. Sploom
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zapatoo_the_Tiger wrote:
Dr. Sploom wrote:
Just in case anyone doesn't know, here's a short sketch...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbtVaTWs6II
Mr. Green

BTW, seems I got it for less than 3 quid. Not 2. Sorry, 'bout that mix up. Rolling Eyes

-Tom Waits
Zapatoo_the_Tiger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still a good "nab" Cool

Dr. Sploom
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zapatoo_the_Tiger wrote:
Still a good "nab" Cool
Aye. I think I'm still in the Dennis Moore Zone, quid be damned. Mr. Green

-Tom Waits
Dr. Sploom
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spied this beauty, at the same CD shoppe, I grabbed "More Monkey Business"(and paid, about the same, too):

https://www.discogs.com/Roland-Alphonso-Something-Special-Ska-Hot-Shots/master/164003

The music is sublime, from pillar to post. The styles ranging, from JA R&B, on through, to the late, Rocksteady sounds, favoured, at Brentford Road, in/around 1968. Particularly, early 1968. Smile

Throughout the liners, one is treated to a plethora of information, about some of the "adventures", Roland took part in. Along with, the wonderful information, you are also treated to some outstanding photos, of Roland, playing with the various groups/bands, he was at times, associated with. My favourite, has to be the photo of him, with the newly formed Soul Bros., who are playing one of their first gigs, immediately following, the Skatalites, break up. The photo, was published on the 27th August, 1965, in: The Star. So, this could in fact, be a photo of the Soul Bros. playing, just before the Skatalites broke up, as the notes state, they were already gigging, at the time, of the Skatalites demise.

Also, the photos with Clue J in them, make me wish, I had an album of his material, as the Blues Blasters, were a top JA group, in the early days. Smile

Starting the festivities off, the late Clement Dodd, wrote a wonderful piece(18 years to the day! ), commemorating the life of his childhood friend, Rolando Alphonso. Sir D, tells us, of his growing up with Roland, as their mothers were both friends. In time, they grew apart, but eventually, got back together, to make some music together.

Following Dodd's lovely words, the liner notes, take on, a wonderful format, breaking things up, by various decades, and then, pointing out, this or that, pertaining to those years. The saddest part, comes at the end of the booklet, when Roland's death, is described. I can still remember hearing about his falling, on the 2nd November, 1998. It was a huge shock, to the people, I'd fallen in with, at the time. The day of his death, was a massive blow to our morale, as for most of us, The Skatalites, were at the least, a favourite band. Sad

Getting back, to the booklet, the end product, is a akin to what JG, were flogging, with their releases around this time. As most will already know, I am a BIG proponent of CD releases, coming with a fat booklet, filled with information, photos, and the like. It's nice to see Cherry Red's Dr.Bird, is following suit. Wink

Overall, I give this set 5/5 stars, and declare it needs to be in the library, of anyone who considers themselves, a fan of music. The sounds on this disc, give a brief glimpse of: how, why, and when JA pop music, started to move past the barriers, the traditional musics of JA, had set up, decades prior. It shows an island race, at the forefront, of making some of the heppest sounds, the world has ever known. And, for those late to the show, better late, than never. Wink

One to most definitely, give a punt, as you get some different mixes, and a few tunes, "new to CD", or never released before. Which, in some cases, still holds true, nearly two decades, later. Smile

-Tom Waits
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Trojan Forum Forum Index -> Recommendations / Reviews / Clunkers and stinkers!!! All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 222, 223, 224 ... 227, 228, 229  Next
Page 223 of 229

Jump to: