Trojan Forum Forum Index Trojan Forum
Trojan and other JA music discussion forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A very Happy Birthday to the Reggae Sound!!! 50 Years!!!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Trojan Forum Forum Index -> Music! Music! Music! (JA & other)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
moreaxe
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:09 pm    Post subject: A very Happy Birthday to the Reggae Sound!!! 50 Years!!! Reply with quote

Dear All,

50 years ago this month, a selection of tunes came from Jamaica.
They were all fast - and they all had that pumping organ sound reggae
fans love so much!!

So let's wish Reggae Music a very Happy Birthday!!!

Take care, all the very best
Ray
RudePete
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And some (most?) of us were there to hear it.... Wink
moreaxe
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy A true - Pete!!!
Charlie Chalk
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't really know what Reggae was 50 years ago. That came a year or so later.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/iloveoxfordutd/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=25&_trksid=p3984.m1543.l2654
Bosssounds
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I didn't really know what Reggae was 50 years ago. That came a year or so later.

I must have known enough about it to have bought 'Reggae Chartbusters volume 1' around the middle of 1971. But I have no clear recollection of saying 'Reggae' was what I liked much before then. It may well have been a subconscious thing.
moreaxe
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly Marc, all I knew was that I liked it! Little did I know that it would just keep getting better and better!

All the very best
Ray
Zapatoo_the_Tiger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first Reggae tune I heard on the radio was probably the Versatiles' CHILDREN GET READY, somewhere in the Summer of 1968 while visiting my grandparents in Ramsgate.

I can't remember if I knew it as "Reggae", but the tune certainly stuck in my head (as did my memory of it, or else I wouldn't be posting this!)

The first one I bought was SWAN LAKE, later in 1968, having heard it on "Mike Raven's R & B Show" one warm-ish Sunday evening...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63rcdLeXiU8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFuYIi5-igc
Dr. Sploom
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: A very Happy Birthday to the Reggae Sound!!! 50 Years!!! Reply with quote

moreaxe wrote:
Dear All,

50 years ago this month, a selection of tunes came from Jamaica.
They were all fast - and they all had that pumping organ sound reggae
fans love so much!!

So let's wish Reggae Music a very Happy Birthday!!!

Take care, all the very best
Ray
Happy Birthday! Very Happy

I've been a fan, for 25 years worth, of the 50. Jealous, of you lot, that have been there, for the whole shebang. Wink

For me, Bob was the only Reggae act, there was, up until '91. He was the only one, that anyone, with good musical tastes, would ever play. Most likely, since he was the only one, they knew about. Laughing

Then, I discovered Desmond Dekker, and Del Morgan. And, that, was all she wrote.

I still get a chuckle, out of all of the boys, at my junior high, wanting to wear a white button down, with Levis, that came from the factory, with button on, red braces. Shoes had to be, either: Air Wair, or some form of brogues.

Most didn't know it was the Skinhead look. As, we all know, Skinheads=Neo-Nazi/White Supremists. Mr. Green

Me ma, forbade me, from wearing Air Wair. So, I got a loverly pair, of brown Bass brogues. Wore those things, for ages, and ages. To the point, the heel came off the shoe. That's when I got my first pair of Air Wair boots.

The other day, I came across, the jean jacket, I wore with the clobber. If I lose a stone or 4, I might just fit into it. Laughing

Ray's post, brings up the notion that, it seems as though, 2018, is going to be filled with lots of Reggae goodness, which should spill over, to 2019, and perhaps, 2020.

Smile

I hate Disneyland. It primes our kids for Las Vegas.
-Tom Waits
Dr. Sploom
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing, I can only imagine, how exciting, it had to of been, when you discovered this new sound, which didn't have a name, at the time. Very Happy

I think, that's one of the biggest problems I have, with music, these days.

No one, seems capable/willing to create a new sound. But then, it could be, the labels, don't want to shell out, except on, a sure thing. Confused

-Tom Waits
Zapatoo_the_Tiger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are very few true originals and innovators...since time, music has tended to evolve with artists, musicians and writers feeding their influences into the "new" music they create.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63rcdLeXiU8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFuYIi5-igc
moreaxe
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seth, great to hear from you. It's true for some the music was all bound up with the latest fashion. And when that changed - they left the music behind.

For other's it was always the music first. Strangely it was the BBC reggae music's arch enemy - who first turned me onto to reggae - it was the main news. And it was Desmond Dekker with a small band on stage out in the open somewhere in Jamaica.

Couldn't find no reggae on the BBC Radio, but Radio Luxembourg played it - and bit by bit it started to make sense. Desmond Dekker, The Maytals, The Pioneers, Jimmy Cliff. All produced by Leslie Kong! Then I started going to the local record shop Custom Radio - and then after that you couldn't keep me out of the place!!!

My next move was to try and find some info all these people!!! And you know to this day - I have never written much about the above. To my eternal shame!! Take care, all the very best - Ray
Dr. Sploom
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moreaxe wrote:
Seth, great to hear from you. It's true for some the music was all bound up with the latest fashion. And when that changed - they left the music behind.

For other's it was always the music first. Strangely it was the BBC reggae music's arch enemy - who first turned me onto to reggae - it was the main news. And it was Desmond Dekker with a small band on stage out in the open somewhere in Jamaica.

Couldn't find no reggae on the BBC Radio, but Radio Luxembourg played it - and bit by bit it started to make sense. Desmond Dekker, The Maytals, The Pioneers, Jimmy Cliff. All produced by Leslie Kong! Then I started going to the local record shop Custom Radio - and then after that you couldn't keep me out of the place!!!

My next move was to try and find some info all these people!!! And you know to this day - I have never written much about the above. To my eternal shame!! Take care, all the very best - Ray
I was 50/50, at first Ray. I loved the Skinhead clobber, and the music, equally. To me, you couldn't have one, without the other.

The problem for me was, most "Skinheads" were of the Punk and Oi! sort, in my neck of the woods, and there are only a handful of bands, from both genres, combined, that won't make me, leave the room, if played.

When I could find like minded people, they tended to like the Ska Revival stuff, more, which ain't my cuppa. Though, I appreciate it, greatly, that those groups, did turn lots of people, onto the original sounds.

Over time, though.....It became, more and more, about the music. Before, it became almost purely, about the music. I still keep a space open, in the heart, for Skinhead, as without that movement, I wouldn't have made so many, happy, happy memories.

I miss the days, when I could pop round, one of the many record shops in RVA, or go to a party, at someone's gaff, where we would discover each other, had a passion, for good music, and records.

I've ruined, many a house-party, due to that. Instead, of mingling with their guests, the person throwing the rave up, would be digging through their crates, both of us, rabbiting on, & on, about this song, or that artist, or whathaveyou.

Then, you have a goodly number of proper record shops, or thrift/jumble stores, where you could have a therapeutic dig, through crates of stuff, the proprietor, didn't know what they had. They just wanted it, to be gone, out of sight!

And, the fan-zines. Almost every music genre, under the sun, had an anorak(Jah bless us, every one), somewhere, that would put one together. Even if it were a one-off, it was a morale booster, as it meant, you had someone out there, you could relate to.

Such fun, and exciting times. Sigh. Salad days, indeed.

Smile

-Tom Waits
anbessa
Paradise

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RudePete wrote:

My parents hadn't met yet, so I had to wait a little longer... Very Happy

www.soulofanbessa.com
RudePete
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anbessa wrote:
RudePete wrote:

My parents hadn't met yet, so I had to wait a little longer... Very Happy

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Yep, one of the (very) few plusses to being of a certain age.... Surprised Wink
Charlie Chalk
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a shame that I missed out on Reggae from 'day one', but I did get in fairly early. There's no doubt that 'Liquidator' and 'Lizzy Reggae' were responsible for changing my life.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/iloveoxfordutd/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=25&_trksid=p3984.m1543.l2654
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Trojan Forum Forum Index -> Music! Music! Music! (JA & other) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: