Trojan Forum Forum Index Trojan Forum
Trojan and other JA music discussion forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Goodbuy second hand record shop
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Trojan Forum Forum Index -> Music! Music! Music! (JA & other)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

is this really theend of an era , no more second hand record shops
end of an era
87%
 87%  [ 7 ]
goodbuy record shop
12%
 12%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 8

bossof69
I Am The Winner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:14 am    Post subject: Goodbuy second hand record shop Reply with quote

Laughing Hi Zappatoo , its your boss of 69 reggae skinhead here, long time no hear , shxx man how long has it been since i bored people with my little story's from the good old skinhead days, I asked if you thought the old days of the record shop had gone , the pulsating heart missing a beat time when one found that very reggae record that you have been hunting for for years, and you would grab it tight and not let anybody near it or they take their life in their hands , touch my record and you die , its mine , i found it , then the practically run all the way home to get it on the turn table and blast the whole street with this sw- eet reggae sound , then clean it a hundred times between plays, put it in a nice new cardboard cover and talk to it ,your mine i knew i would find you , we'll from what i remember you didn't agree, but its here they are closing faster than pubs , yes sellenby at south harrow has gone , the one at north watford , gone , and around London they starting to disappear , it will be e bay , amazon , and such like , but the end of an era as far as the old second hand record shop is concerned Crying or Very Sad err i hope i have wrote this in the right place , ain't been on here for so long Rolling Eyes
Zapatoo_the_Tiger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morning guv' - as you say, long time no "see".

I'll move this to the main forum.

I think you're right about the second-hand record shops, what with places like ebay.

We've got one in Cherstey, but it's really a room, rather than a shop.

There isn't much Reggae (but a good bit of Soul and Disco), though there's plenty of Pop and Rock.

It's very cramped and none too comfortable if there's anyone else in - I haven't dropped by there for a few months.

One reason there isn't much Reggae was because one time I was in there, I asked the bloke where it all was and he said "If I get any decent Reggae, it goes straight on ebay".

I still enjoy going to Peckings every 8 or 9 months and picking up about 30 singles, though these are new discs (though often re-presses).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63rcdLeXiU8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFuYIi5-igc
downbeat
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sellanby's went about a year or so ago - sad loss for south Harrow, now replaced with yet another asian supermarket I think, either that or another restaurant. I hardly go to South Harrow any more apart from occasionally to the tube station.
ebay seems to be the nemesis of the high st. shop - not just record shops, but all kinds of second hand or bric-a-brac shops are disappearing, and ebay seems to be thriving. You can get anything through it, and I think it's quite ominous that this virtual trading post seems to be making profit on every item which is transacted through it's website without doing a thing apart from maintaining the site.
People are buying and selling through ebay on a massive scale, yet there is supposedly no money around, while business rates on shop premises are so prohibitively high that small traders are finding it increasingly difficult to survive.
I just heard that Google have taken down all mainstream UK videos from youtube because they refuse to pay the PRS a reasonable royalty for using artists work.
Are these American based monopolies trying to strip every cent they can fleece from every corner of the globe? Is there no regulation to curb the avaricious leeches from draining the life-blood out of every little nook and cranny that struggling people have traditionally scraped a maegre living from?
We have all been taken in by the wondrous world of the web, but is there a darker side that we haven't yet begun to realise?
Credit Crunch? Free market economies? I don't know about any of it any more.
Paranoid rant over!!!

On a brighter note, I found a great little second hand record shop in Herne Bay (Kent) recently, with LOADS of reggae records, singles and albums. Most of it was quite mainstream, but some of the albums would be worth a look. Unfortunately there was very little in the shop that I either didn't have or didn't want, but if you're in the area, it's certainly worth a visit. Cool

http://profile.myspace.com/no1station
Zapatoo_the_Tiger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

downbeat wrote:
Sellanby's went about a year or so ago - sad loss for south Harrow...
And a "landmark" I'd always look out for on my occasional journeys that way - the last time being for someone's 50th. Birhday party in the White Horse!

It's no consolation to say that maybe Sellanby dun great to hang on as long as it did!.

When I worked in Northolt, we'd make monthly lunchtime trips to Sellanby's - I spent a few quid in there between the late 70s and mid 80s, yet the only thing I remember with any certainty that I bought there was Herbie Hancock's milestone HEADHUNTERS L.P.

I don't use ebay.

RudePete
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zapatoo_the_Tiger wrote:

I don't use ebay.

If I had your collection Joe, I probably wouldn't either! Wink Smile Cool
Bosssounds
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that 'B Side The C Side' in Herne Bay DB? Got a few things off their website, which they've now merged into one of those awful 'host' domains where you can only search for things.

I have one shop I go to every month if dosh permits where some of the stuff is very reasonable. Usually, sellers have a blind spot with one particular era. While I miss that wonderful physical experience of searching through boxes of vinyl and finding something I've been looking for, if it hadn't been for the 'bay I wouldn't have tracked down half the elusive things I have. I no longer buy the `67-70 tunes much and am more into the `70s side where things are generally less sought after and a lot cheaper ('Light of Saba' not included Rolling Eyes ).
RudePete
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bosssounds wrote:
I no longer buy the `67-70 tunes much and am more into the `70s side where things are generally less sought after and a lot cheaper ('Light of Saba' not included Rolling Eyes ).

Me too Marc. Just got myself a lovely copy of Cutting Razor by The Versatiles on DIP for 15. (The B side is Black Belt Jones by Lee Perry). I do love Junior Byles' voice. Cool
downbeat
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is called that Marc, the shop is stuffed full of records of all descriptions - proper old-school. He has crates of Reggae, but they're mainly the stuff we've all got - lots of Judge Dread singles. He had some classic old albums though, mostly ranging between 10-20. Definitely worth a visit I'd say.

http://profile.myspace.com/no1station
Zapatoo_the_Tiger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RudePete wrote:
If I had your collection Joe, I probably wouldn't either! Wink Smile Cool
It's neither so large nor impressive, Pete.

The main thing is that I bought most (around 80-85 per cent) at the time of release or within a couple of years of it.

I've never felt a great need to hunt down original vinyl *** since I've been there and done that, so to speak.

However, if I happen across a record or two that catches my eye or takes my ear, then I'm very happy Wink

*** The one recent exception was that I always wanted a 7" single of RAM JAM and bought it off one of Pete Smith's ("Pete S" in Pama) lists for a tenner back in November:

RudePete
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't that weird. That was one of the 45's I flogged in my clearout a few years back! Confused
I just didn't have the money in the late 60's and early 70's to buy records in any quantity. I didn't start full time work until 1975, so that's why the bulk of my singles are from that period. No bad thing of course! Wink
Zapatoo_the_Tiger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RudePete wrote:
Isn't that weird. That was one of the 45's I flogged in my clearout a few years back! Confused
Co-in-ci-dence Exclamation Shocked

The circle is now complete...Cool

Bosssounds
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been after 'Cutting Razor' for a while Pete Rolling Eyes Excellent taste. 'Rasta Train' on DIP is another tune.
claudio
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything to do with "Stepping Razor" which is also known as "Cutting Razor"?
selecter B
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zapatoo_the_Tiger wrote:
RudePete wrote:
Co-in-ci-dence Exclamation Shocked

The circle is now complete...Cool

It was the first Coxsone label 45 I bought. Confused
RudePete
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

claudio wrote:
Anything to do with "Stepping Razor" which is also known as "Cutting Razor"?

The same tune Claudio. Written by Joe Higgs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Trojan Forum Forum Index -> Music! Music! Music! (JA & other) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: