Trojan Forum Forum Index Trojan Forum
Trojan and other JA music discussion forum
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

More Skinhead and Revive Reggae recommendations
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Trojan Forum Forum Index -> Recommendations / Reviews / Clunkers and stinkers!!!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Dr. Sploom
Golden Festival


Joined: 25 Dec 2007
Posts: 30516
Location: Commonwealth of Virginia

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:51 am    Post subject: More Skinhead and Revive Reggae recommendations Reply with quote

I'm starting this thread, to give some reviews, and recommendations of music, I bought prior to joining Trojan Forum......I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone has to say, in the days ahead! Wink
_________________
It seems that our brave new world is becoming less tolerant, spiritual and educated than it ever was when I was young.
-Lemmy Kilmister

I hate Disneyland. It primes our kids for Las Vegas.
-Tom Waits
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Dr. Sploom
Golden Festival


Joined: 25 Dec 2007
Posts: 30516
Location: Commonwealth of Virginia

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Ethiopians - Reggae Hit The Town

Trojan CD #CDTRL 434 1999
Record date : 196X-7X

Album style : rock steady, roots, group vocal

Playlist :
Owe Me No Pay Me
Cool It Amigo
Fire A Mus Mus Tail
Reggae Hit The Town
I'm Not A King
What A Big Surprise
My Testimony
Buss Your Mouth
Mek You Go On So
Here I Come
Praise Far I
What A Pain
Lot Wife
Sound Of Our Forefathers
Starvation
Israel Want Be Free
What We Gonna Do
Promises
Big Belly Horse
Jericho
Big Splish Splash
Build A Bridge
(I Want To Be) A Better Man
Conquering Lion
Knowledge Is Power
Another Moses


My first Ethiopians release, I bought on CD.....if you were to only buy a single CD of theirs, this would be it! I'm assuming LCH did the liner notes, because no one is mentioned, as to who they are by! Brief, but informative, all the same...Wink

Overall, sound quality is good! You can tell, they did use vinyl sources for quite a few tunes, as they lack punch....in fact, the first track sounds like it's being played on a Dansette! Surprised

Some tape hiss is present on almost every track, but it diminishes once the music starts....

Every tune is a winner....nothing is a dud. Has anyone ever noticed, that their Rocksteady material sounds like their Reggae material, which sounds like their Roots Reggae sound? Mr. Green

Overall, I give this release a 4.5.....it's a shame it lacks more umph in sound....because, this is the Ethiopians we're talking about, and they are a 5 star group....but, despite the slight shortcomings of the sound, this is still worth a punt, to fill gaps, or introduce someone to the wonderful sounds, of the Ethiopians!

Wink
_________________
It seems that our brave new world is becoming less tolerant, spiritual and educated than it ever was when I was young.
-Lemmy Kilmister

I hate Disneyland. It primes our kids for Las Vegas.
-Tom Waits
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Dr. Sploom
Golden Festival


Joined: 25 Dec 2007
Posts: 30516
Location: Commonwealth of Virginia

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Various Artists - Dry Acid (Lee Perry Productions)

Trojan CD #CDTRL 398 1998
Record date : 1968-69

Album style : early reggae, solo vocal, group vocal, instrumental

Playlist :
Denzil Laing - Beware Of The Vampire
Val Bennett - Barbara
The Upsetters - Prison Sentence
The Ethiopians - Not Me
The Ethiopians - Cut Down
The Mellotones - Uncle Desmond
The Inspirations - Down In The Park
The Inspirations - Love Oh Love
Eric Monty Morris - Can't Get No Peace
The Upsetters - For A Few Dollars More
The West Indians - Strange Whisperings
The Upsetters - A Taste Of Killing
Carl Dawkins - Hard To Handle
The Upsetters - My Mob
Ernest Wilson - Freedom Train
Pat Kelly - Dark End Of The Street
Pat Kelly - Since You Are Gone
The Upsetters - Return Of The Ugly
David Isaacs - Till I Can't
Peter Tosh & U Roy - Rightful Ruler
The Upsetters - I Caught You
Eric Donaldson - Never Get Away
Busty Brown - A Broken Heart
Count Sticky & The Upsetters - Dry Acid
The Reggae Boys - Selassie
The Mellotones - Facts Of Life

Producer : Lee Perry


My favourite Lee Perry single CD release, that Trojan ever issued. This one is a barn burner, from pillar to post!

Liner notes are nicely done by LCH, and are brief, but informative... Wink

Vinyl sources, were most likely used for the majority of tracks, if not all, as you can hear the tape hiss, & white noise, to go with the snap, crackle, and pop, on these tunes....but, that's okay in my book.... Wink

Also, a few tunes, push the envelope of the bass, so the bass becomes slightly distorted....most likely when it was mastered by the Upsetter....I'm wagering, it was the sound he tinkered around, to get it....but, who knows?! Kind of adds to the tunes...especially, the Monty Morris track about his guppy problem! Laughing

Highlights abound on this set of Boss Reggae!

A release I rate as essential listening, giving it 5 out of 5 stars! One to give a punt, if you haven't already! Good luck, finding a copy, though....
Smile
_________________
It seems that our brave new world is becoming less tolerant, spiritual and educated than it ever was when I was young.
-Lemmy Kilmister

I hate Disneyland. It primes our kids for Las Vegas.
-Tom Waits
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Dr. Sploom
Golden Festival


Joined: 25 Dec 2007
Posts: 30516
Location: Commonwealth of Virginia

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tennors and Friends-Reggae Girl

Trojan CD #TJDDD 434 2007
Playlist :
The Tennors - Reggae Girl
The Harmonians - Oh My Baby
The Tennors - (Rub Me) Khaki
Ronnie Davis & The Tennors & Tommy McCook - The Stage
Clive's All Stars - Donkey Trot
Roman Stewart & The Tennors & Tommy McCook & The Supersonics - While I Was Walking
Eric Monty Morris - He Is Back
The Tennors - Ride Your Donkey
Cliff Smith - I'm Gonna Make It
The Harmonians - Go Your Way
The Tennors - Grampa
The Tennors - Cleopatra
Karl Bryan & Johnny Moore - Parapinto
Charlie Organaire & Tommy McCook & The Supersonics - Copy Me Donkey
Winston Wright & The Mules - Puzzle
Delroy Jones & The Tennors - Double Attack
Karl Bryan - The Creeper
The Tennors - Massie Massa
Karl Bryan & Johnny Moore - Cool Hand Luke
Delroy Jones - Donkey Skank
Clive's All Stars - San Sebastian
The Tennors - You're No Good
Eric Monty Morris - A Little Bit Of This
Eric Monty Morris - Deportation
The Tennors - Do The Reggae
The Pacesetters - Nimrod Leap

The Tennors - (Born To Be A) Sufferer
Eric Monty Morris & The Viscounts - Shame Face
Jackie Bernard & The Tennors & The Viscounts - Little Things
Jackie Bernard & The Tennors & The Viscounts - Another Scorcher
Vin Gordon - Tribute To Don Drummond
The Fabion & The Tennors - V-Rocket
The Tennors - My Baby
The Inspirations - Wonder Of Love
The Inspirations - Cinderella
The Kingstonians - I Am Just A Minstrel
The Kingstonians - Yesterday
The Tennors - Making Love
The Tennors - Festival Knocks
The Tennors - Baff Boom
Karl Bryan & Johnny Moore - Stagger Back
The Tennors - Sign Of The Times
The Tennors - Feel Bad
The Tennors - True Brothers
The Tennors - I Want Everything
The Pacesetters - Bits And Pieces
The Tennors - Cherry
The Tennors - I've Got Soul
The Tennors - (So Very) Hard To Believe
The Tennors - Doctor's Medley
Ronnie Davis & The Tennors - Run Come
Ronnie Davis & The Tennors - Baby Come Home

Comment :
this CD reissue covers the 1968-75 area


Of the Trojan Fan Club releases, this, and the Hippy Boys are my favourites....with this one edging out the Hippy's because of the sheer amount of music, featured!
Cool Cool

Harry Hawke's liner notes are impeccable, and so is the music! Every tune is a boss sound! The closest to a grouse I come, is "While I Was Walking"....which isn't a bad tune...it's just every other track on here, is so good! Rolling Eyes

The liner folds out, and feature some nice label scans, and photos for added flair....

A release that takes my 5 star rating scale, and blows it up! Twisted Evil Cool

At this point, I'd be willing to pay up to 40 quid for a copy of this....as long as it was in New, Mint, or Near Mint condition....otherwise, adjust accordingly....but, rest assured, it will be money well spent.... Wink

One of those releases, where a true lover of good music, should have a copy of "Reggae Girl", in their library....and, with Jackie Bernard, and the Kingstonians, featured on this reissue.....can it get much better? For me, no....Jackie Bernard is the King of Reggae, and the Kingstonians are the best Reggae group, ever....Believe it! Cool Cool Cool Very Happy

And, FWIW, if any of you, don't ever score a copy, I plan on being buried with mine, so if you can pry it from my cold, dead hands, you can have mine! Beware though! I might be the guppy that comes out to play, when you give this a rinse, every time! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Laughing
_________________
It seems that our brave new world is becoming less tolerant, spiritual and educated than it ever was when I was young.
-Lemmy Kilmister

I hate Disneyland. It primes our kids for Las Vegas.
-Tom Waits
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Dr. Sploom
Golden Festival


Joined: 25 Dec 2007
Posts: 30516
Location: Commonwealth of Virginia

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hippy Boys-Reggae with the Hippy Boys

http://www.amazon.com/Trojan-Fanclub-Reggae-With-Hippy/dp/B000F6ZFS6/ref=tmm_acd_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1407555057&sr=8-1

My other favourite Trojan Fan Club release....this is what Boss Reggae is all about, and why Skinheads lapped this LP up!

Listening to the soundies, you can hear why! Cool Cool Cool

The liner notes are nicely done by MdK, full of information, and which fold out, with lovely photos, a label scan, and some adverts, from the time, this LP originally came out, for added enjoyment......Smile

Like the "Tennors and Friends-Reggae Girl" reissue, this set destroys my 5 star grading scale, then Moonhops over the remains....never was a death made so glorious! Laughing

As you can surmise, this is essential listening, with nary a duff tune, but highlights would have to be "Nurse J'kel", and "Shang I"....

Lord have mercy!!!! Sonia Pottinger certainly knew how to record music, not noise! Harry Mudie, eat your heart out, sir! Cool Cool
_________________
It seems that our brave new world is becoming less tolerant, spiritual and educated than it ever was when I was young.
-Lemmy Kilmister

I hate Disneyland. It primes our kids for Las Vegas.
-Tom Waits
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Dr. Sploom
Golden Festival


Joined: 25 Dec 2007
Posts: 30516
Location: Commonwealth of Virginia

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Various Artists - Dancehall '69 (40 Skinhead Reggae Rarities)

Trojan CD #TJDDD 081 2003
Record date : 1969

Album style : early reggae, solo vocal, group vocal, instrumental

Playlist :
Bunny Lee All Stars - Warfare
Busty Brown - Fight For Your Right
The Medetators - Soul Fight
Victors - Reggae Buddy
Karl Bryan - Red Ash
Hortense Ellis - My Last Date
The Hippy Boys - What's Your Excuse
Bunny Lee All Stars - Annie Pama
Lloyd Charmers - In The Spirit
The Hippy Boys - Peace Maker
The Soul Twins - Cherrie
Roland Alphonso - One Thousand Tons Of Megaton
The Hippy Boys - Reggae Pressure
The Reggae Boys - Ba Ba
Glen Adams - Power Cut
The Hippy Boys - Dreams To Remember
Max Romeo & The Hippy Boys - Clap Clap
Roland Alphonso - Musical Resurrection
Derrick Morgan - The Conqueror
Tommy McCook - The Saint Aka The Saints Go Marching In

The Prophets - Revenge Of Eastwood
King Horror - Zion I
Desmond Riley - Tear Them
Des All Stars - Walk With Des
Corporation - Walking Thru' Jerusalem
Dandy - Shake Me Wake Me
Tea House From Emperor Roscoe
Sir Collins - Black Panther
Music Doctors - Going Strong
Sonny Binns - Boss A Moon
Music Doctors - Music Doctor, Chapter 1
The Rudies - The Split
The Cimarons - Kick Me Or I'll Kick You
King Horror - Cutting Blade
Joe Mansano - The Thief
Hot Rod All Stars - Return Of The Bad Man
Des All Stars - Black Scorcher
Music Doctors - Bush Doctor
The Rudies - Devil's Lead Soup
Dice the Boss-Your Boss DJ



One of the best sets out there, for Skin'ead friendly music. The liner notes, by MdK, are well done, and informative, and the fold out liner has some great photos, newspaper clippings, graphics, and label scans....

This is one of those sets, that is a gap filler, or an introduction to some of the best Reggae music, ever recorded.....I dare you to tell me, "Reggae Buddy", isn't one of the best Reggae tunes, ever recorded.... Wink

The sound quality on this set, is wonderful....and, the music more or less, sounds as fresh, as the day it was recorded....well, at least to these ears.... Laughing

Some of the tracks may have been gleened off vinyl sources, because I can hear some light tape hiss, until the music starts, on some tracks....but, this seems to be a handful of tunes, at best....

Nary a duff tune, though a few aren't as good as the bulk of tunes, included on the compilation....."The Conqueror" isn't duff, but, the fact that it is merely a Rocksteady tune, sped up, so Derrick Morgan sounds like he's been huffing helium, is rather funny....Razz

I rate this a 5 out of 5 stars, and class this as essential listening, because it showcases why Reggae music, was so popular with Skin'eads, until things became more, and more Rastafarian....and, the cult more or less, died out...

One to give a punt, if you haven't done so, already!

Cool Cool Cool
_________________
It seems that our brave new world is becoming less tolerant, spiritual and educated than it ever was when I was young.
-Lemmy Kilmister

I hate Disneyland. It primes our kids for Las Vegas.
-Tom Waits
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Bosssounds
Golden Festival


Joined: 14 May 2003
Posts: 9595
Location: Near sunny Southend-on-Sea

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The Ethiopians - Reggae Hit The Town

Trojan CD #CDTRL 434 1999
Record date : 196X-7X

Album style : rock steady, roots, group vocal

Playlist :
Owe Me No Pay Me
Cool It Amigo
Fire A Mus Mus Tail
Reggae Hit The Town
I'm Not A King
What A Big Surprise
My Testimony
Buss Your Mouth
Mek You Go On So
Here I Come
Praise Far I
What A Pain
Lot Wife
Sound Of Our Forefathers
Starvation
Israel Want Be Free
What We Gonna Do
Promises
Big Belly Horse
Jericho
Big Splish Splash
Build A Bridge
(I Want To Be) A Better Man
Conquering Lion
Knowledge Is Power
Another Moses


Overall, sound quality is good! You can tell, they did use vinyl sources for quite a few tunes, as they lack punch....in fact, the first track sounds like it's being played on a Dansette!



I wonder whether they used the Rio 45 (very dull sounding, like most from `66/`67) or a Trojan comp (was it 'Leaving Me Standing'?), where you wouldn't obviously get a great range?

You've been busy for sure Seth! Look forward to reading your other reviews.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Zapatoo_the_Tiger
Site Admin


Joined: 12 May 2003
Posts: 61681
Location: Surrey (KT16)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Sploom wrote:
[color=yellow]The Ethiopians - Reggae Hit The Town[/color
In terms of tune quality, you rarely go wrong with the Ethiopians, especially in the 6-7 from 1966.

I don't have this compilation, but (upon a quick glance) I have at least almost all the tracks somewhere or other and the tape hiss you mention I don't especially recall in these "somewhere or other" places.

Probably worth shelling out for if you want/need an Ethiopians introduction.

Let's have a label scan - "Eathopians" always makes me chuckle, I imagine the conversation in the Pama office starting off something like, "Hey Lloyd, how do you spell Ethiopians?":



...and this one - although how "Muss" became wrong...


_________________
Play it nice and cool, son. Nice and cool! You know what I mean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63rcdLeXiU8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFuYIi5-igc
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
Zapatoo_the_Tiger
Site Admin


Joined: 12 May 2003
Posts: 61681
Location: Surrey (KT16)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Sploom wrote:
Various Artists - Dry Acid (Lee Perry Productions)

Trojan CD #CDTRL 398 1998
Record date : 1968-69
It's a definite good one and as you know Seth, another I never picked up.

I think all but CUT DOWN grace my collection in some way.

Stellar track list, "classic" era, but presumably not easy to find for a decent price...
_________________
Play it nice and cool, son. Nice and cool! You know what I mean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63rcdLeXiU8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFuYIi5-igc
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
Zapatoo_the_Tiger
Site Admin


Joined: 12 May 2003
Posts: 61681
Location: Surrey (KT16)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Sploom wrote:
Tennors and Friends-Reggae Girl

Trojan CD #TJDDD 434 2007


...snipped...

And, FWIW, if any of you, don't ever score a copy, I plan on being buried with mine, so if you can pry it from my cold, dead hands, you can have mine! Beware though! I might be the guppy that comes out to play, when you give this a rinse, every time! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Laughing
There you have it.

One to be bought without question.

Purists may prefer only the hard-to-find LP, a wonderful luxury to have - I wish I'd bought a copy when it was on sale in "my" shop back in 1970 - but the Tennors didn't really strike me as an interesting name/band then - if only I'd realised that PRESSURE AND SLIDE on the "Reggae Special" and mis-credited to the Jennors was actually the Tennors, things might have been different, but as a 17-year-old, I didn't consider that mistakes on record labels existed Confused Confused
_________________
Play it nice and cool, son. Nice and cool! You know what I mean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63rcdLeXiU8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFuYIi5-igc
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
Zapatoo_the_Tiger
Site Admin


Joined: 12 May 2003
Posts: 61681
Location: Surrey (KT16)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Sploom wrote:
Hippy Boys-Reggae with the Hippy Boys

http://www.amazon.com/Trojan-Fanclub-Reggae-With-Hippy/dp/B000F6ZFS6/ref=tmm_acd_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1407555057&sr=8-1

My other favourite Trojan Fan Club release....this is what Boss Reggae is all about, and why Skinheads lapped this LP up!

Listening to the soundies, you can hear why! Cool Cool Cool

The liner notes are nicely done by MdK, full of information, and which fold out, with lovely photos, a label scan, and some adverts, from the time, this LP originally came out, for added enjoyment......Smile

Like the "Tennors and Friends-Reggae Girl" reissue, this set destroys my 5 star grading scale, then Moonhops over the remains....never was a death made so glorious! Laughing

As you can surmise, this is essential listening, with nary a duff tune, but highlights would have to be "Nurse J'kel", and "Shang I"....

Lord have mercy!!!! Sonia Pottinger certainly knew how to record music, not noise! Harry Mudie, eat your heart out, sir! Cool Cool
I agree with all of that!
_________________
Play it nice and cool, son. Nice and cool! You know what I mean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63rcdLeXiU8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFuYIi5-igc
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
Zapatoo_the_Tiger
Site Admin


Joined: 12 May 2003
Posts: 61681
Location: Surrey (KT16)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Sploom wrote:
Various Artists - Dancehall '69 (40 Skinhead Reggae Rarities)

Trojan CD #TJDDD 081 2003
Record date : 1969

Album style : early reggae, solo vocal, group vocal, instrumental

Playlist :
Bunny Lee All Stars - Warfare
Busty Brown - Fight For Your Right
The Medetators - Soul Fight
Victors - Reggae Buddy
Karl Bryan - Red Ash
Hortense Ellis - My Last Date
The Hippy Boys - What's Your Excuse
Bunny Lee All Stars - Annie Pama
Lloyd Charmers - In The Spirit
The Hippy Boys - Peace Maker
The Soul Twins - Cherrie
Roland Alphonso - One Thousand Tons Of Megaton
The Hippy Boys - Reggae Pressure
The Reggae Boys - Ba Ba
Glen Adams - Power Cut
The Hippy Boys - Dreams To Remember
Max Romeo & The Hippy Boys - Clap Clap
Roland Alphonso - Musical Resurrection
Derrick Morgan - The Conqueror
Tommy McCook - The Saint Aka The Saints Go Marching In

The Prophets - Revenge Of Eastwood
King Horror - Zion I
Desmond Riley - Tear Them
Des All Stars - Walk With Des
Corporation - Walking Thru' Jerusalem
Dandy - Shake Me Wake Me
Tea House From Emperor Roscoe
Sir Collins - Black Panther
Music Doctors - Going Strong
Sonny Binns - Boss A Moon
Music Doctors - Music Doctor, Chapter 1
The Rudies - The Split
The Cimarons - Kick Me Or I'll Kick You
King Horror - Cutting Blade
Joe Mansano - The Thief
Hot Rod All Stars - Return Of The Bad Man
Des All Stars - Black Scorcher
Music Doctors - Bush Doctor
The Rudies - Devil's Lead Soup
Dice the Boss-Your Boss DJ



One of the best sets out there, for Skin'ead friendly music. The liner notes, by MdK, are well done, and informative, and the fold out liner has some great photos, newspaper clippings, graphics, and label scans....

This is one of those sets, that is a gap filler, or an introduction to some of the best Reggae music, ever recorded.....I dare you to tell me, "Reggae Buddy", isn't one of the best Reggae tunes, ever recorded.... Wink

The sound quality on this set, is wonderful....and, the music more or less, sounds as fresh, as the day it was recorded....well, at least to these ears.... Laughing

Some of the tracks may have been gleened off vinyl sources, because I can hear some light tape hiss, until the music starts, on some tracks....but, this seems to be a handful of tunes, at best....

Nary a duff tune, though a few aren't as good as the bulk of tunes, included on the compilation....."The Conqueror" isn't duff, but, the fact that it is merely a Rocksteady tune, sped up, so Derrick Morgan sounds like he's been huffing helium, is rather funny....Razz

I rate this a 5 out of 5 stars, and class this as essential listening, because it showcases why Reggae music, was so popular with Skin'eads, until things became more, and more Rastafarian....and, the cult more or less, died out...

One to give a punt, if you haven't done so, already!

Cool Cool Cool
I agree with all of that as well, except your comment about REGGAE BUDDY being one of the best Reggae tunes ever recorded Wink
_________________
Play it nice and cool, son. Nice and cool! You know what I mean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63rcdLeXiU8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFuYIi5-igc
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
Zapatoo_the_Tiger
Site Admin


Joined: 12 May 2003
Posts: 61681
Location: Surrey (KT16)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bosssounds wrote:
Quote:
The Ethiopians - Reggae Hit The Town

Trojan CD #CDTRL 434 1999
Record date : 196X-7X

Album style : rock steady, roots, group vocal

Playlist :
Owe Me No Pay Me
Cool It Amigo
Fire A Mus Mus Tail
Reggae Hit The Town
I'm Not A King
What A Big Surprise
My Testimony
Buss Your Mouth
Mek You Go On So
Here I Come
Praise Far I
What A Pain
Lot Wife
Sound Of Our Forefathers
Starvation
Israel Want Be Free
What We Gonna Do
Promises
Big Belly Horse
Jericho
Big Splish Splash
Build A Bridge
(I Want To Be) A Better Man
Conquering Lion
Knowledge Is Power
Another Moses


Overall, sound quality is good! You can tell, they did use vinyl sources for quite a few tunes, as they lack punch....in fact, the first track sounds like it's being played on a Dansette!



I wonder whether they used the Rio 45 (very dull sounding, like most from `66/`67) or a Trojan comp (was it 'Leaving Me Standing'?), where you wouldn't obviously get a great range?

You've been busy for sure Seth! Look forward to reading your other reviews.
Good point, Marc and probably correct Wink
_________________
Play it nice and cool, son. Nice and cool! You know what I mean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63rcdLeXiU8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFuYIi5-igc
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
Bosssounds
Golden Festival


Joined: 14 May 2003
Posts: 9595
Location: Near sunny Southend-on-Sea

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Tennors and Friends-Reggae Girl

Trojan CD #TJDDD 434 2007
Playlist :
The Tennors - Reggae Girl
The Harmonians - Oh My Baby
The Tennors - (Rub Me) Khaki
Ronnie Davis & The Tennors & Tommy McCook - The Stage
Clive's All Stars - Donkey Trot
Roman Stewart & The Tennors & Tommy McCook & The Supersonics - While I Was Walking
Eric Monty Morris - He Is Back
The Tennors - Ride Your Donkey
Cliff Smith - I'm Gonna Make It
The Harmonians - Go Your Way
The Tennors - Grampa
The Tennors - Cleopatra
Karl Bryan & Johnny Moore - Parapinto
Charlie Organaire & Tommy McCook & The Supersonics - Copy Me Donkey
Winston Wright & The Mules - Puzzle
Delroy Jones & The Tennors - Double Attack
Karl Bryan - The Creeper
The Tennors - Massie Massa
Karl Bryan & Johnny Moore - Cool Hand Luke
Delroy Jones - Donkey Skank
Clive's All Stars - San Sebastian
The Tennors - You're No Good
Eric Monty Morris - A Little Bit Of This
Eric Monty Morris - Deportation
The Tennors - Do The Reggae
The Pacesetters - Nimrod Leap

The Tennors - (Born To Be A) Sufferer
Eric Monty Morris & The Viscounts - Shame Face
Jackie Bernard & The Tennors & The Viscounts - Little Things
Jackie Bernard & The Tennors & The Viscounts - Another Scorcher
Vin Gordon - Tribute To Don Drummond
The Fabion & The Tennors - V-Rocket
The Tennors - My Baby
The Inspirations - Wonder Of Love
The Inspirations - Cinderella
The Kingstonians - I Am Just A Minstrel
The Kingstonians - Yesterday
The Tennors - Making Love
The Tennors - Festival Knocks
The Tennors - Baff Boom
Karl Bryan & Johnny Moore - Stagger Back
The Tennors - Sign Of The Times
The Tennors - Feel Bad
The Tennors - True Brothers
The Tennors - I Want Everything
The Pacesetters - Bits And Pieces
The Tennors - Cherry
The Tennors - I've Got Soul
The Tennors - (So Very) Hard To Believe
The Tennors - Doctor's Medley
Ronnie Davis & The Tennors - Run Come
Ronnie Davis & The Tennors - Baby Come Home

Comment :
this CD reissue covers the 1968-75 area

Of the Trojan Fan Club releases, this, and the Hippy Boys are my favourites....with this one edging out the Hippy's because of the sheer amount of music, featured!


Harry Hawke's liner notes are impeccable, and so is the music! Every tune is a boss sound! The closest to a grouse I come, is "While I Was Walking"....which isn't a bad tune...it's just every other track on here, is so good!

The liner folds out, and feature some nice label scans, and photos for added flair....

A release that takes my 5 star rating scale, and blows it up!

At this point, I'd be willing to pay up to 40 quid for a copy of this....as long as it was in New, Mint, or Near Mint condition....otherwise, adjust accordingly....but, rest assured, it will be money well spent....

One of those releases, where a true lover of good music, should have a copy of "Reggae Girl", in their library....and, with Jackie Bernard, and the Kingstonians, featured on this reissue.....can it get much better? For me, no....Jackie Bernard is the King of Reggae, and the Kingstonians are the best Reggae group, ever....Believe it!

And, FWIW, if any of you, don't ever score a copy, I plan on being buried with mine, so if you can pry it from my cold, dead hands, you can have mine! Beware though! I might be the guppy that comes out to play, when you give this a rinse, every time!


Actually, people were paying big money for it just months after it was issued. I got mine from Juno (the only place that still had copies) for a full price of 12.99 or whatever it was.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BAFF BOOM
Golden Festival


Joined: 25 Jul 2007
Posts: 3468
Location: Southampton

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh look,Baff Boom is on the Tennors cd,what a great title,seriously,that is a cracking cd,highly recommended.
_________________
Step across,and meet the boss
............................................
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Trojan Forum Forum Index -> Recommendations / Reviews / Clunkers and stinkers!!! All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group