Trojan Forum Forum Index Trojan Forum
Trojan and other JA music discussion forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Monkey Business CD
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Trojan Forum Forum Index -> Recommendations / Reviews / Clunkers and stinkers!!!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zapatoo_the_Tiger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bosssounds wrote:
We've all got the tracks of course but here they all are in one place. And no Judge Dread or commercial silliness either.
It was still on Amazon for a Lady, so I've bagged it, mainly for Marc's comment above - both the "all in one place" and the "no Judge Dread or commercial silliness" remarks Wink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63rcdLeXiU8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFuYIi5-igc
Dr. Sploom
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zapatoo_the_Tiger wrote:
Bosssounds wrote:
We've all got the tracks of course but here they all are in one place. And no Judge Dread or commercial silliness either.
It was still on Amazon for a Lady, so I've bagged it, mainly for Marc's comment above - both the "all in one place" and the "no Judge Dread or commercial silliness" remarks Wink
I've read some reviews, where his absence is a glaring failure on the compilers part.....Mr. Green

I hate Disneyland. It primes our kids for Las Vegas.
-Tom Waits
Zapatoo_the_Tiger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't read those reviews Wink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63rcdLeXiU8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFuYIi5-igc
Dr. Sploom
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zapatoo_the_Tiger wrote:
I wouldn't read those reviews Wink
Frustrating, yet funny, all at once. Rolling Eyes Wink

-Tom Waits
trojanskin1969
Paradise

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bosssounds wrote:
Quote:
How's that booklet, with this updated edition Question Smile

Pretty good actually. I did find this on an odd comment though about Reggae after the Skinheads had died out:

"Reggae in the UK eventually evolved into Lover's Rock, which was a long way from the sounds of '69".

For me, LR was only ever a particular genre of the music. There was UK Roots and other British-produced music that was just recognisable as Reggae: the Mexicano, Roy Shirley, Tito Simon, Owen Gray, The Marvels, The Cimarons, The Blood Sisters etc etc. Some of them may have dabbled in it here and there, but Lover's wasn't the only show in town.

Yeah totally agree, I think at the time of writing my thoughts were stuck, in a genre based scene. Skinhead reggae made a big impact on the British public, and by 72 roots music already had a good foothold in this country. But for me Lovers Rock which i feel is a British genre was the next real sound change which was going to influence reggae as a whole. Which i suppose doesn't come across really in one sentence. With limited time and only so many words write it in, The spec was to influence the casual buyer, that would perhaps buy or look into Trojans future releases. I was humbled to be asked to do it and i hope i caught a pen picture of the skinhead scene back then and now. Hope this explains my error, and you could also add Judge dread to the list above. Love him or hate him, he influenced a lot of people.
Dr. Sploom
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trojanskin1969 wrote:
Bosssounds wrote:
Quote:
How's that booklet, with this updated edition Question Smile

Pretty good actually. I did find this on an odd comment though about Reggae after the Skinheads had died out:

"Reggae in the UK eventually evolved into Lover's Rock, which was a long way from the sounds of '69".

For me, LR was only ever a particular genre of the music. There was UK Roots and other British-produced music that was just recognisable as Reggae: the Mexicano, Roy Shirley, Tito Simon, Owen Gray, The Marvels, The Cimarons, The Blood Sisters etc etc. Some of them may have dabbled in it here and there, but Lover's wasn't the only show in town.

Yeah totally agree, I think at the time of writing my thoughts were stuck, in a genre based scene. Skinhead reggae made a big impact on the British public, and by 72 roots music already had a good foothold in this country. But for me Lovers Rock which i feel is a British genre was the next real sound change which was going to influence reggae as a whole. Which i suppose doesn't come across really in one sentence. With limited time and only so many words write it in, The spec was to influence the casual buyer, that would perhaps buy or look into Trojans future releases. I was humbled to be asked to do it and i hope i caught a pen picture of the skinhead scene back then and now. Hope this explains my error, and you could also add Judge dread to the list above. Love him or hate him, he influenced a lot of people.

I wound up plumping, for it, and haven't regretted it. I thought the liners, brought new life, to a 1980 compilation. It also helped, having the bonus tracks, too.

Comparing liners, this is right up there, with what was included, with the "Skinhead Reggae Box Set", "Skinhead Jamboree", "Dancehall '69", & "Skinhead Revolt". I gave the set, a review, too....It's over on the "Skinhead & Revive Recommendations" thread. Somewhere. Smile

-Tom Waits
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Trojan Forum Forum Index -> Recommendations / Reviews / Clunkers and stinkers!!! All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: