Trojan Forum Forum Index Trojan Forum
Trojan and other JA music discussion forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

O.C. Roberts

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charlie Chalk
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 9:17 pm    Post subject: O.C. Roberts Reply with quote

Another low key Reggae artist. From his own website:

The man who is Owen aka O.C. Roberts was busy honing his craft in Kingston, Jamaica at The Bohemia, where he was the lead singer of the resident band The Mighty Titans. This cohesive band backed many artists such as Marcia Griffith, Dennis Brown, Bob Andy, The Wailing Souls, The Mighty Diamonds, The Tamlins, Lee Scratch Perry, Ken Booth, Sasafros, and Beres Hammond to name a few when they would perform at the club.

While performing at the Bohemia, O.C. was discovered by Dougie Rod Bryan, lead guitarist of The Revolutioniares recording band, who’s drummer was Sly Dunbar, and keyboard player was Ansle Collins. O.C. recorded the reggae version of Teddy Pendergrass’ smash hit “Wake Up Everybody” for Sonya Pottinger’s High Note Label. That version went on to hit #16 on the British Reggae Charts.

He went on to record “Funny Feelings”, “Living a Life” and “Hey You” for record label Electro Sun. All of those songs were backed by the tight sound of The Revolutionaires. O.C. then moved to Detroit and met a friend named Ian Allen (now at Universal Music Group) and Ira McLaughlin (formerly of Atlantic Records), and crafted a Reggae band together named The Samaritans.

The Samaritans quickly became the number 1 reggae band in Detroit for several years. The band shared the stage with Dennis Brown, Van Oats, Sugar Minord, Sammy Dread, and Sister Carol. The band won many awards for ‘Best Reggae Band’ including but not limited to 5 Metro Times Music Awards, 4 Local Source Awards, and 5 Metro Music Cafe Awards.

O.C. individually won 3 Metro Times Awards for ‘Best Reggae Vocalist’. His talents guided him into the studio with Motown hit songwriter Barrett Strong (“I Heard it Through the Grapevine”) and Patrick Amae. Not only is O.C. a great vocalist, he is an amazing host. He hosted concerts for Capleton, Beanie Man, Shaggy, Burning Spear, and Sizzla.

After the success of the band, O.C. took a hiatus to focus on radio for 12 years at 90.9 FM. Today he is back in the studio working on a brand new album including songs, “Made in Jamaica”, “Haters”, “Cut them Off”, and “Calling my name”.

Singer/Songwriter O.C.Roberts, has returned with full force and the fans are eager to hear his album and see this electrifying performer again. This is the most powerful album of his career to date! We are all excited to hear what O.C. has in store for us.

Wake Up Everybody:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5F4XtpUGq8

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/iloveoxfordutd/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=25&_trksid=p3984.m1543.l2654
Bosssounds
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy.

I only know him through 'Wake Up Everybody' on Grounation, which is a fine cover of the Teddy hit IMHO.
Zapatoo_the_Tiger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A new name to me (I think).

Thanks Andrew Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63rcdLeXiU8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFuYIi5-igc
DOWNTOWN
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bosssounds wrote:
Thanks Andy.

I only know him through 'Wake Up Everybody' on Grounation, which is a fine cover of the Teddy hit IMHO.

Same here...
RudePete
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DOWNTOWN wrote:
Bosssounds wrote:
Thanks Andy.

Same here...

+1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Trojan Forum Forum Index -> Artists All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: