Trojan Forum Forum Index Trojan Forum
Trojan and other JA music discussion forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cod-Ska (US)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charlie Chalk
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:55 pm    Post subject: Cod-Ska (US) Reply with quote

Here we go folks, the sequel to Cod-Ska (UK). This is a YT playlist of mid-1960s US tracks, by artists not associated with Ska, but performed in a Ska style. More tracks to play with this time, and some real stinkers. However, there are some I really like.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3qfMx0uDGGwsjOjwdZtYLT5YtZzpK7yw

Any omissions?

Enjoy!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/iloveoxfordutd/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=25&_trksid=p3984.m1543.l2654
DOWNTOWN
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy.

The cod-ska [USA] tunes which i liked best are.

The Pussycats - Come On And Ska

Which rips off Eric "Monty" Morris & The Ska Kings - Oil In My Lamp...

Steve Alaimo - I Don't Wanna Cry
Charlie Chalk
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers. It appears that Steve Alaimo did a whole Ska album.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/iloveoxfordutd/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=25&_trksid=p3984.m1543.l2654
Dr. Sploom
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Cod-Ska (US) Reply with quote

Charlie Chalk wrote:
Here we go folks, the sequel to Cod-Ska (UK). This is a YT playlist of mid-1960s US tracks, by artists not associated with Ska, but performed in a Ska style. More tracks to play with this time, and some real stinkers. However, there are some I really like.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3qfMx0uDGGwsjOjwdZtYLT5YtZzpK7yw

Any omissions?

Enjoy!

Great stuff, Andy! A goodly number of artists, I recognise. It's been ages, since I heard a few of them. Some, I've never heard, so ta, for that! Smile

Charlie Chalk wrote:
Cheers. It appears that Steve Alaimo did a whole Ska album.
Yes. He was one of the first, "Blue Eyed Soul" artists, from the US, to boot. He had an all black backing band, when they tried making him, a crossover artist. The same with Linda Scott, IIRC. Ska hit big here, for a fleeting moment, between 1962-1964.

Most folks should notice, how close, the US stuff, sounds to what the Dragonaires, were proprietors, of, at that time. Remember, Byron, & the boys, were going to, most likely, be the faces of Jamaican music, when you were on holiday, in JA. Plus, Bryon had great contacts, in the US, IIRC. I think, thanks to the Blues Busters.

With so many US Navy personnel -active, and former- taking holiday's there, thanks to being stationed in JA, during WWII(so the RN, could be elsewhere), or thereafter, they'd bring Dragonaires LP's, back home, as a souvenir. And, don't forget, the other islands, too. Frank Guida was stationed in Trinidad, and fell in love, with Calypso, so a goodly amount, of Virginian Soul/Rock, from Tidewater, would have influences, from the Caribbean, within them.

Getting back, to Alaimo, he's had more success, as a producer, than as an artist. And, more folks know him, about his being a TV host, too.

A talented fellow, that just never had major success, in a short time. Medium success over a loooooooooong period, of time. In a nutshell. Smile

As for Ska, it's initial sweeping the US, burned white hot, from '62-'64, and was about to go out, when the '64 World's Fair, brought new life to it, but I think, it burned out, even quicker, thanks to that, and the opening phases, of the "British Invasion", which is how Ska, was effectively killed off.

FWIW, my dad, is from Tidewater. North of the James, in a city called Hampton. SE of Hampton, is where Norfolk, is, and where Frank Guida, was king. Despite his being reared, so close to Norfolk, my dad never heard of Ska, until recently. How he managed, to acquire so many Frank Guida produced 45's, and not understand, the Ska aspect to them, is beyond me....

But, the geography of the area, at that time, isolated each city, from one another, so it does make sense, of why he has/had such a sheltered perspective, now that I think about it.

Meanwhile, my mother, knows all about Ska, albeit, the "Popcorn" variety. I've played her Skatalites, and she likes it, but she doesn't consider it, Ska. That said, she's ga-ga, over the Dragonaires. So then, does she really know about, Ska? Or not? Rolling Eyes

As for any omissions, there are a few Andy, but I don't think those Guida productions are on YT, or elsewhere. And, the fellow I used to know, that introduced me, to them, I haven't spoken to, in over 7 years!

I do remember, a few numbers, featuring the Church Street 5, having "Ska/Caribbean" influences, one of which, I see, is on your playlist, as "Baby Earl(Swanson), & the Trini-dads". Which, is nothing more, than another name, for the Church Street 5, with maybe a few personnel changes, as it was a fluid line-up.

I'm also glad to see, Bill Deal and the Rhondels, on the list. This tune, was absolutely massive, throughout Tidewater, on down the coast, to NE Georgia, and the islands, off the coast of Savannah. This, and a few other tunes, helped form the "Beach Music" craze, that exists, to this day.

Though, I'll wager, less than 10%(and that's being generous), even know about the Ska/Soul connections/roots, of this music.

I'll babble some more, if'n more comes to mind!

Wink Smile

I hate Disneyland. It primes our kids for Las Vegas.
-Tom Waits
Charlie Chalk
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Doc.

Dr. Sploom
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie Chalk wrote:
Cheers Doc.
My pleasure. It's been wonderful, sitting here, grooving to some tunes, from my yoof. Wincing, at others.... Very Happy

-Tom Waits
Dr. Sploom
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished. A great over-view, of the genre! Wink

FWIW, "The Rhythm Kings-Burleska", can also be considered, a "Titty-Shaker", as this tune, was played at burlesque's, and go-go's, from coast to coast. What the dancers did, onstage, is up to your imagination, but "Titty-Shaker", sums it up, nicely. Smile

There's more out there, that can get added. I'll see what I can do, about finding those Guida productions. They were played heavily, at the Peppermint Beach Club(RIP), and other clubs around the Tidewater area's, cities.

As for the list, these were new, to me:

LESTER LANIN - WEST INDIES SKA [Philips 40217] 1964
Ray Barreto Ska Cha.

I loved them both. Will be on the look out, now.

Wink

Those that brought me back, memories(thanks to Mum):

THE FLEETWOODS - SKA LIGHT SKA BRIGHT
TRACEY DEY - Ska Doo Dee Yah
NEIL SEDAKA - THE JELLYFISH SONG
Woody Herman Orchestra - Come On And Ska
THE ANGELS jamaica joe
Teresa Brewer - My Boy Lollipop (1964)
The Marketts - Come See Come Ska
Annette Funicello - Jamaica Ska, The First Time

And, my Dad, is a BIG fan, of Bill Deal, & The Rhondels, so he brought those tunes, to my attention, early on.

Everything else, I learned about, on my own, yonks ago, but hadn't listened to lots of it, in a looooooong time.

Only one, that grated was Neil Sedaka. The man, my mum, still has a crush on. But then, she's the Virginian Annette Funicello, so I guess, it makes sense.
Rolling Eyes

I was also reminded, I need to speed up, the process, to nab those Mango Jones cuts....."Coffee Street Ska", is a stonker! Cool

-Tom Waits
Charlie Chalk
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tracey Dey track is my favourite.

Dr. Sploom
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie Chalk wrote:
The Tracey Dey track is my favourite.
Not my favourite, but one of them. Mongo's "Coffee Street Ska", takes that honour, with Lester Lanin. Smile

BTW, I've been looking for those Church Street Five tunes, and I can't find them online, anywhere. The one's I can find, you've already posted. But, they're others out there.

I'll keep digging, but all I seem to be finding, is the same two songs by "Baby" Earl, over and over, again. Rolling Eyes

I think one of them, was by a chap, that went by "Little Bill", or "Billy". Can't rightly say, as I'm drawing a near blank. Embarrassed

-Tom Waits
Charlie Chalk
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a few more to rip and put on YT, and I'm aware of 'Ska-Bobbi' by Al Jarreau and 'Ska-Ha' by Bill Justis, but I can't find them.

Dr. Sploom
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie Chalk wrote:
I have a few more to rip and put on YT, and I'm aware of 'Ska-Bobbi' by Al Jarreau and 'Ska-Ha' by Bill Justis, but I can't find them.
All I know is, one is on Raynard, the other's on, Smash. I may have heard the Bill Justis, on one of those recent "History/Story of Smash" sets. Though, I doubt it. Smile

Both should be good, especially, the Justis! Wink

-Tom Waits
Zapatoo_the_Tiger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Cod-Ska (US) Reply with quote

Thanks for all that info, Doc - sehr interessant!

Dr. Sploom wrote:
...my mother's ga-ga, over the Dragonaires.
...but is she ga-ga over Go-Go?

That's what I really want to know!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buXt-yyZEss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63rcdLeXiU8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFuYIi5-igc
Dr. Sploom
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Cod-Ska (US) Reply with quote

Zapatoo_the_Tiger wrote:
Thanks for all that info, Doc - sehr interessant!

Dr. Sploom wrote:
...my mother's ga-ga, over the Dragonaires.
...but is she ga-ga over Go-Go?

That's what I really want to know!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buXt-yyZEss
Not in the least. I like a bit of Go-Go, though. And, I'm glad you lot, across the sea, know about it. It's one of the last "regional" musics, left, in the US.

It's only BIG in the Washington Metro Area, with a small group of fans, in NYC. Outside those locales, it's popularity, is next to none. In fact, I've tried getting folks, in LA, into it.....I might as well, tried getting them, into Bavarian folk music..... Rolling Eyes

Trouble Funk.....Brings back memories, of my mis-spent youf. Very Happy

-Tom Waits
Zapatoo_the_Tiger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go-Go was popular in the UK for a year or two during the mid-80s - I don't have very much at all...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63rcdLeXiU8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFuYIi5-igc
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Trojan Forum Forum Index -> Have a listen!!! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: