Trojan Forum Forum Index Trojan Forum
Trojan and other JA music discussion forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cod-Reggae
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charlie Chalk
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:34 pm    Post subject: Cod-Reggae Reply with quote

At long last, we have the final part of the Cod Trilogy! This one has resulted in me being swamped with suggestions on FB, and there has been quite a bit of contention! The playlist currently runs to just over 50 tracks, but there are probably 100s or even 1000s of other contenders:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3qfMx0uDGGztFUi_W_R8FLmLJ7UepkUe

Enjoy!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/iloveoxfordutd/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=25&_trksid=p3984.m1543.l2654
RudePete
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Form an orderly queue..... Mr. Green
Charlie Chalk
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some great tracks on this one - seriously! Wink

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/iloveoxfordutd/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=25&_trksid=p3984.m1543.l2654
Dr. Sploom
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This ought to be, the most sadomasochistic, of the trio. Twisted Evil

No need, to pop round the massage parlour, folks.....Andy's taken the time, to compile this set, for you to save a few bob! Mr. Green

I have tomorrow off, so I look forward to hearing what's on offer..... Wink

I hate Disneyland. It primes our kids for Las Vegas.
-Tom Waits
Zapatoo_the_Tiger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot about Chubby's REGGAE MY WAY, which (on Pye International) has graced my collection since its release.

I didn't see Earth & Fire's WEEKEND (a long time favourite and mentioned by someone in the FB thread)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63rcdLeXiU8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFuYIi5-igc
Charlie Chalk
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zapatoo_the_Tiger wrote:
I forgot about Chubby's REGGAE MY WAY, which (on Pye International) has graced my collection since its release.

I didn't see Earth & Fire's WEEKEND (a long time favourite and mentioned by someone in the FB thread)

I'm still working on it Joe. Annoyingly, one of the videos in the playlist suddenly disappeared - removed by YT or the uploader - and I'm trying to work out which song it is!

Zapatoo_the_Tiger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Andy Cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63rcdLeXiU8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFuYIi5-igc
Dr. Sploom
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tuning in..... Smile

-Tom Waits
Dr. Sploom
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made it to Chris Andrews. Have to take a break, as that was hard graft, for me. Still, it was very interesting, as I am even more perplexed, as to why more folks, didn't get into Reggae, especially, with the likes of the Beatles, Stones, & Clapton, championing it..... Confused

Picks of the litter for me have been: Paul Simon, Johnathan Richman, & Typically Tropical. But, I already like those, to begin with.

A great surprise: Georgie Fame & Alan Price - Don't Hit Me When I'm Down

I'm usually not a fan of ol' Georgie's vocals....On here, it works for me.

Smile

-Tom Waits
Dr. Sploom
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Locomotive-Rudi's In Love, is blocked in the States..... Rolling Eyes

I've heard it, though.... Wink

Oh lord, is Streisand! Gotta go hide! Mad

-Tom Waits
Charlie Chalk
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Sploom wrote:
Made it to Chris Andrews. Have to take a break, as that was hard graft, for me. Still, it was very interesting, as I am even more perplexed, as to why more folks, didn't get into Reggae, especially, with the likes of the Beatles, Stones, & Clapton, championing it..... Confused

Picks of the litter for me have been: Paul Simon, Johnathan Richman, & Typically Tropical. But, I already like those, to begin with.

Smile

I bought the GF & AP 'pon release. I wasn't a fan of 'Rosetta', but I liked this one.

A lot of debate on FB as to whether or not I should include Paul Simon and Roy C, as they both use Jamaican musicians, but I think they belong on this set.

I don't believe I had heard William Bell's original cut of 'LFYL' before I added it here - very nice.

Dr. Sploom
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie Chalk wrote:
Dr. Sploom wrote:

Smile

I bought the GF & AP 'pon release. I wasn't a fan of 'Rosetta', but I liked this one.

A lot of debate on FB as to whether or not I should include Paul Simon and Roy C, as they both use Jamaican musicians, but I think they belong on this set.

I don't believe I had heard William Bell's original cut of 'LFYL' before I added it here - very nice.

I can see the logic, on both sides, in regards to Paul Simon, and Roy C.
For me, I feel the point of these tunes, is to make what is essentially, a niche music, more accessible, to the masses, that normally wouldn't, if at all, give it a chance.

I can't stand UB40. However, I am appreciative of their making Reggae accessible, to those, that normally wouldn't have bothered, to indulge.

But then, I try and look at all angles, to begin with. Something, most folks, can't do, for one reason, or another.

Further, the fact that Paul Simon, and Roy C, were able to utilise Jamaican musicians, should show us, how interesting it can get, when different cultures, can come together, to create something.

That said, Robert Palmer, was already a heralded artist, by the time, he got down to JA, to have Scratch, record him. Now, normally, I give Palmer's music, a swerve....However, that infectious Black Ark sound, made Palmer's vocal stylings, accessible for me. In fact, I am convinced that Perry's brilliance, at that time, could have resulted in lots of artists, I'd usually give a swerve, sound good to me!

Also, I've had another go with the set....38, through 52. Again, some hard graft for me, at times. But, I am impressed how many pop artists, tried their hand, at the Reggae sound, and at times....Came off sounding bona fide! Looking forward, to the final leg....53-61.

Smile

-Tom Waits
Dr. Sploom
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got to Tom Rush!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I completely forgot about this tune! We had a discussion about it, years ago, as it was played on the Chris Bopst Show(RIP)! I had to play "Blood & Fire", for comparison's sake.....Some folks, still didn't get it. Rolling Eyes

Glad you included it.... Wink

Also, loved seeing that Johnny Reggae art. I reckon it's Jonathan King, but comes off looking like Jeff Goldblum....Mr. Green

I read the comments, on that one....Saddened, some folks can't wrap their heads around historical documents, regardless, of what happens, behind the scenes. I'd love to ask Balch, if they support slavery. As the device they used, to type those comments, was most likely made in China, so clearly Balch is promoting slavery. Though, they'd probably not understand, what I was doing.... Rolling Eyes

-Tom Waits
Charlie Chalk
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Sploom wrote:
Just got to Tom Rush!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I completely forgot about this tune! We had a discussion about it, years ago, as it was played on the Chris Bopst Show(RIP)! I had to play "Blood & Fire", for comparison's sake.....Some folks, still didn't get it. Rolling Eyes

Glad you included it.... Wink

Also, loved seeing that Johnny Reggae art. I reckon it's Jonathan King, but comes off looking like Jeff Goldblum....Mr. Green

I read the comments, on that one....Saddened, some folks can't wrap their heads around historical documents, regardless, of what happens, behind the scenes. I'd love to ask Balch, if they support slavery. As the device they used, to type those comments, was most likely made in China, so clearly Balch is promoting slavery. Though, they'd probably not understand, what I was doing.... Rolling Eyes

I just ignored his second comment - you can't airbrush history. JK may be a nasty piece of work, but his songs were part of my childhood.

Dr. Sploom
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished. Got a real chuckle, out of John Bird's ditty as Idi Amin.....And, the Russ Abbott, was funny, too! Laughing

Glad, the 2nd Locomotive tune, worked. Pretty good stuff, from that, which I've heard. Sad, the first video, didn't work....But, oh well....No worries. Wink

The last 1/3 of the entire set list, was made up of tunes, I'd never heard, or hadn't in a very long time.....

Overall, the majority weren't my cuppa. But, there were more than a few, that were. Can't add much else, to what I've already written, on previous posts.

Glad you took the time, to compile it! Thank you, very much, Andy! Very Happy

-Tom Waits
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Trojan Forum Forum Index -> Have a listen!!! All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: