Trojan Forum Forum Index Trojan Forum
Trojan and other JA music discussion forum
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

This Is Reggae Music (4CD Box Set) 2004 or 2005?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Trojan Forum Forum Index -> Recommendations / Reviews / Clunkers and stinkers!!!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Mango Guava Reggae
Warming Up The Scene


Joined: 06 Jan 2017
Posts: 200
Location: Canada

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Sploom wrote:
Yes. It was needed more, in the US, as more people only think of Bob, when it comes to Reggae, sadly. Rolling Eyes


Same here in Quebec. Majority of people that were exposed to reggae only know Bob Marley through the 'Legend' compilation and a few songs that were played on commercial radio. Honestly speaking, I rarely met someone that even knew who Peter Tosh was.

Outside of the five to ten Bob Marley songs, this is what 'reggae' will mean to people here: RED RED WINE (UB40), SWEAT (A LA LA LA LA LONG) (Inner Circle), I CAN SEE CLEARLY NOW (Jimmy Cliff), HAKUNA MATATA (Jimmy Cliff), GET BUSY (Sean Paul), GIMME THE LIGHT (Sean Paul), BABY I LOVE YOUR WAY (Big Mountain), SUNSHINE REGGAE (Laid Back), BAD BOYS (Inner Circle) and maybe WHEN THE NIGHT FEELS MY SONG (Bedouin Soundclash) and a few more that gain commercial radio airplay. I'm not exaggerating. People that grew up listening to the late 70's and 80's music will know some songs that were played on radio with reggae influence, but they will not be able to link it to reggae. I'm thinking of bands/artists like The Police, Men At Work, Blondie, Culture Club, Eddy Grant, Elvis Costello.

The only people that have really been exposed through reggae were the ones that made a conscious effort of discovering more than the 'Legend' compilation or heard reggae at home through their brothers' & sisters' collection, at a friend's place or if they were lucky, on college radio.
_________________
Host of the radio university program 'Mangue Goyave Reggae' at CFAK
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Dr. Sploom
Golden Festival


Joined: 25 Dec 2007
Posts: 30507
Location: Commonwealth of Virginia

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mango Guava Reggae wrote:
Zapatoo_the_Tiger wrote:
Some happy hunting beckons..maybe also some frustrations!

Good luck!


You probably make reference to the zillion duplicates of songs. I know. That is mainly why I initially didn't gave too much attention to Trojan compilations because of the duplicates. I once studied the Bob Marley catalogue and lost interest in the label because of the way they marketed their products.

But I have to say that I am now gaining back interest that I lost 15 years ago as it's only a matter of choosing the right products with them, that is the reason why I'm making that document to better select what I will chose to purchase as some of the prices are starting to be quite expensive.

Outside of the 69 box sets, I currently have approx. 40 Trojan CDs and the nice 4CD box set 'Story of Trojan' that was issued in 2011.
Add to that statement, the fact that, some of those sets, are selling for silly prices, these days. Wink
_________________
It seems that our brave new world is becoming less tolerant, spiritual and educated than it ever was when I was young.
-Lemmy Kilmister

I hate Disneyland. It primes our kids for Las Vegas.
-Tom Waits
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Dr. Sploom
Golden Festival


Joined: 25 Dec 2007
Posts: 30507
Location: Commonwealth of Virginia

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mango Guava Reggae wrote:
Dr. Sploom wrote:
Yes. It was needed more, in the US, as more people only think of Bob, when it comes to Reggae, sadly. Rolling Eyes


Same here in Quebec. Majority of people that were exposed to reggae only know Bob Marley through the 'Legend' compilation and a few songs that were played on commercial radio. Honestly speaking, I rarely met someone that even knew who Peter Tosh was.

Outside of the five to ten Bob Marley songs, this is what 'reggae' will mean to people here: RED RED WINE (UB40), SWEAT (A LA LA LA LA LONG) (Inner Circle), I CAN SEE CLEARLY NOW (Jimmy Cliff), HAKUNA MATATA (Jimmy Cliff), GET BUSY (Sean Paul), GIMME THE LIGHT (Sean Paul), BABY I LOVE YOUR WAY (Big Mountain), SUNSHINE REGGAE (Laid Back), BAD BOYS (Inner Circle) and maybe WHEN THE NIGHT FEELS MY SONG (Bedouin Soundclash) and a few more that gain commercial radio airplay. I'm not exaggerating. People that grew up listening to the late 70's and 80's music will know some songs that were played on radio with reggae influence, but they will not be able to link it to reggae. I'm thinking of bands/artists like The Police, Men At Work, Blondie, Culture Club, Eddy Grant, Elvis Costello.

The only people that have really been exposed through reggae were the ones that made a conscious effort of discovering more than the 'Legend' compilation or heard reggae at home through their brothers' & sisters' collection, at a friend's place or if they were lucky, on college radio.
'Bout the same down here, in Virginia. Rolling Eyes Wink
_________________
It seems that our brave new world is becoming less tolerant, spiritual and educated than it ever was when I was young.
-Lemmy Kilmister

I hate Disneyland. It primes our kids for Las Vegas.
-Tom Waits
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Zapatoo_the_Tiger
Site Admin


Joined: 12 May 2003
Posts: 61681
Location: Surrey (KT16)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and cod Reggae is a whole 'nother topic Wink Wink
_________________
Play it nice and cool, son. Nice and cool! You know what I mean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63rcdLeXiU8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFuYIi5-igc
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
Dr. Sploom
Golden Festival


Joined: 25 Dec 2007
Posts: 30507
Location: Commonwealth of Virginia

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zapatoo_the_Tiger wrote:
...and cod Reggae is a whole 'nother topic Wink Wink
Quite! Best served, dipped in beer batter, with chips, and peas on the side. Mr. Green
_________________
It seems that our brave new world is becoming less tolerant, spiritual and educated than it ever was when I was young.
-Lemmy Kilmister

I hate Disneyland. It primes our kids for Las Vegas.
-Tom Waits
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Mango Guava Reggae
Warming Up The Scene


Joined: 06 Jan 2017
Posts: 200
Location: Canada

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zapatoo_the_Tiger wrote:
Mango Guava Reggae wrote:
If it's in your database May 21, 2005, that means it's already on the market at that date? Meaning you've seen it in stores or a friend purchased it?
Yes - I never enter details into my database before I've actually got the disc(s) and the likelihood is that I bought it online, although not from Amazon (I only placed 1 order from them in 2005), more likely from hmv.com or play.com - unlikely to have bought from the Trojan website as those prices were usually a little more than the aforementioned.


Thanks. I've updated my comment on Discogs.
_________________
Host of the radio university program 'Mangue Goyave Reggae' at CFAK
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Mango Guava Reggae
Warming Up The Scene


Joined: 06 Jan 2017
Posts: 200
Location: Canada

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Sploom wrote:
Zapatoo_the_Tiger wrote:
...and cod Reggae is a whole 'nother topic Wink Wink
Quite! Best served, dipped in beer batter, with chips, and peas on the side. Mr. Green


Smile
_________________
Host of the radio university program 'Mangue Goyave Reggae' at CFAK
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Mango Guava Reggae
Warming Up The Scene


Joined: 06 Jan 2017
Posts: 200
Location: Canada

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zapatoo, To your knowledge, is there a reggae fan that have documented the Trojan repress on CD? I noticed this past weekend that there is no pattern for the repress, therefore difficult to spot the original from the repress, specially when advertised on eBay without a picture of the back. This is what I've noticed so far:

FIRST SITUATION
The repress has sa different code AND a different barcode.
Easy to spot

SECOND SITUATION
The repress has same code (ex. TJDDD257) but different barcode.
Easy to spot

THIRD SITUATION
The repress has same code and same barcode.
One of the way to difference them is when the website is change to
www.trojanrecords.com and there is BMG in the copyright text.

Trojan could have made it much easier for us to be able to difference the original pressings... they could have used one pattern and changed the barcode and/or the code. Some of the original releases that were issued with a slipcard also have a slipcard in the repress, but not all of them. Again
_________________
Host of the radio university program 'Mangue Goyave Reggae' at CFAK
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Zapatoo_the_Tiger
Site Admin


Joined: 12 May 2003
Posts: 61681
Location: Surrey (KT16)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if such a thing has been documented, MGR.

Where it has been difficult to identify a re-pressed/reissued CD it might have been because of "old stock" being used (in the same way that it can be difficult to spot 7" re-presses because old labels and stampers were used - step forward, Studio 1!) and where necessary - presumably for legal reasons, a sticker being put onto the original "cover".
_________________
Play it nice and cool, son. Nice and cool! You know what I mean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63rcdLeXiU8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFuYIi5-igc
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
Mango Guava Reggae
Warming Up The Scene


Joined: 06 Jan 2017
Posts: 200
Location: Canada

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK thanks!
_________________
Host of the radio university program 'Mangue Goyave Reggae' at CFAK
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Dr. Sploom
Golden Festival


Joined: 25 Dec 2007
Posts: 30507
Location: Commonwealth of Virginia

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Help me out here, forum members.....There's a fellow, from Normandie, who has a Trojan page, where they've documented the CD's, that were issued, during the 00's. I used to have the page, bookmarked, then the PC crashed. It's a wonderful website, though my French is rather lacking. I can't for the life of me, remember, the forum member, that put the place together. He used to post here, regularly, 10+ years ago. MGR, might be able to use the info on this site! Smile
_________________
It seems that our brave new world is becoming less tolerant, spiritual and educated than it ever was when I was young.
-Lemmy Kilmister

I hate Disneyland. It primes our kids for Las Vegas.
-Tom Waits
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Zapatoo_the_Tiger
Site Admin


Joined: 12 May 2003
Posts: 61681
Location: Surrey (KT16)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may have been "Lord" who used to post here...I vaguely remember the page - very colourful, as I recall.
_________________
Play it nice and cool, son. Nice and cool! You know what I mean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63rcdLeXiU8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFuYIi5-igc
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
Zapatoo_the_Tiger
Site Admin


Joined: 12 May 2003
Posts: 61681
Location: Surrey (KT16)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Sploom wrote:
Help me out here, forum members.....There's a fellow, from Normandie, who has a Trojan page, where they've documented the CD's, that were issued, during the 00's. I used to have the page, bookmarked, then the PC crashed. It's a wonderful website, though my French is rather lacking. I can't for the life of me, remember, the forum member, that put the place together. He used to post here, regularly, 10+ years ago. MGR, might be able to use the info on this site! Smile
This? (via "Lord")

http://mytrojanspace.eklablog.com/
_________________
Play it nice and cool, son. Nice and cool! You know what I mean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63rcdLeXiU8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFuYIi5-igc
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
Dr. Sploom
Golden Festival


Joined: 25 Dec 2007
Posts: 30507
Location: Commonwealth of Virginia

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zapatoo_the_Tiger wrote:
Dr. Sploom wrote:
Help me out here, forum members.....There's a fellow, from Normandie, who has a Trojan page, where they've documented the CD's, that were issued, during the 00's. I used to have the page, bookmarked, then the PC crashed. It's a wonderful website, though my French is rather lacking. I can't for the life of me, remember, the forum member, that put the place together. He used to post here, regularly, 10+ years ago. MGR, might be able to use the info on this site! Smile
This? (via "Lord")

http://mytrojanspace.eklablog.com/
Bull's Eye! Nice one, Joe! Wink Very Happy

There's some stuff on it, that might be of interest, to LC-H, too! Smile
_________________
It seems that our brave new world is becoming less tolerant, spiritual and educated than it ever was when I was young.
-Lemmy Kilmister

I hate Disneyland. It primes our kids for Las Vegas.
-Tom Waits
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Mango Guava Reggae
Warming Up The Scene


Joined: 06 Jan 2017
Posts: 200
Location: Canada

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Sploom wrote:
Help me out here, forum members.....There's a fellow, from Normandie, who has a Trojan page, where they've documented the CD's, that were issued, during the 00's. I used to have the page, bookmarked, then the PC crashed. It's a wonderful website, though my French is rather lacking. I can't for the life of me, remember, the forum member, that put the place together. He used to post here, regularly, 10+ years ago. MGR, might be able to use the info on this site! Smile


Thanks to Dr.Sploom & Zapatoo! Yes I've seen the page last week when I was surfing. It's really well documented.
_________________
Host of the radio university program 'Mangue Goyave Reggae' at CFAK
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Trojan Forum Forum Index -> Recommendations / Reviews / Clunkers and stinkers!!! All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group