Trojan Forum Forum Index Trojan Forum
Trojan and other JA music discussion forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

This Is Reggae Music (4CD Box Set) 2004 or 2005?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Trojan Forum Forum Index -> Recommendations / Reviews / Clunkers and stinkers!!!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mango Guava Reggae
Music Is The Key

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:00 am    Post subject: This Is Reggae Music (4CD Box Set) 2004 or 2005? Reply with quote

I'm slowly discovering the Trojan Re-Releases catalogue and making a few searches in my spare times. I thought the box set THIS IS REGGAE MUSIC was from November 9, 2004 because Amazon US and UK has that date then I saw a Newsletter on this forum dated April 4, 2005 mentioning this boxset to be issued in May 2005. I now understand and wanted to leave a written explanation, just in case someone goes through the same question in the future.

THE US VERSION was issued in late October or early November 2004
(October 26, 2004 or November 9, 2004)
Code: 06076-80470-2

THE UK VERSION was issued in late May or early June 2005
(May 23, 2005 or June 6, 2005)
Code: TJNBX254

This is unusual as all the other Trojan releases that I have checked between 2002-2005 were issued in the US a few weeks or months after the UK.
Mango Guava Reggae
Music Is The Key

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would also explain why the set is not interesting for the collectors. On other 4CD box sets, Trojan seems to always kept in mind to included some 'rarities', songs that were issued for the first time on CD or alternates takes. I haven't gone on a Track-By-Track checkup, but it seems there is nothing new on this set.
Zapatoo_the_Tiger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea about the US issue, but I can confirm that "This Is Reggae Music - The Golden Era 1960-1975" was logged in my database on 21-May-2005, therefore it was released no later than (say) a week before.

From your comment below, it looks like we can narrow the UK release date to the first half of May 2005.

From Discogs:

The UK Edition of this Box Set was issued after the US Edition, which is unusual for the Trojan releases. The US Edition was issued in late October or early November 2004 while the UK version was issued in late May or early June 2005.

https://www.discogs.com/Various-This-Is-Reggae-Music-The-Golden-Era-1960-1975/release/588921

I wonder if it was felt that the USA "needed" this set (being largely much less au fait with Jamaican music than us here in Blighty) more than the UK did?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63rcdLeXiU8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFuYIi5-igc
Mango Guava Reggae
Music Is The Key

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zapatoo_the_Tiger wrote:
I have no idea about the US issue, but I can confirm that "This Is Reggae Music - The Golden Era 1960-1975" was logged in my database on 21-May-2005, therefore it was released no later than (say) a week before.

I always use dates from official music websites. For UK releases I refer to Amazon UK even if it's not always accurate (two different or three different dates). I tend to understand that when Amazon list two dates with seven days difference, it's either A) First date when they received the 'Order form' and the second date being the street date or B) Trojan delivered the product one week after the planed released date.

In this case, they no longer have the original release date in their database, so I had to look elsewere. May 23 comes from Honto (Japan), June 6 comes from HMV Japan and Allmusic (USA). I agree, these are not fully reliable but they gave a sence of approximately when the box was released.

If it's in your database May 21, 2005, that means it's already on the market at that date? Meaning you've seen it in stores or a friend purchased it?
Mango Guava Reggae
Music Is The Key

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zapatoo_the_Tiger wrote:
I wonder if it was felt that the USA "needed" this set (being largely much less au fait with Jamaican music than us here in Blighty) more than the UK did?

That answer is only from my perspective and I might be wrong, but from my readings, I have the feeling that UK was way more exposed to reggae than USA. A box set like this one is directed at the same crowd as people that would purchase 'Young Gifted & Black' compilation, and this is regardless of the country as it's directed to people that doesn't know that area that well. I got that compilation (Y,G & B) when it was issued and even if I was listening at reggae for a while back then, the 1968-1974 Trojan catalogue wasn't much part of my collection, so the compilation did make sense. I remember that half the tunes were new to me at that time.

DISCOGS
I was the one who wrote the line that you quoted from the description in Discogs.
Mango Guava Reggae
Music Is The Key

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TROJAN US vs. TROJAN UK

I'm currently working on a database with each releases. During it's existence, TROJAN US was more or less reproducing the exact same releases as TROJAN UK with 4 to 9 weeks difference between released dates. In 99% of the cases, the UK comes before the US edition. So far, the only released that I have seen issued before in the US are: 'This Is Reggae Music' Box Set and 'Club Dread' soundtrack.

90% of the UK released end up being repressed by Trojan US with a different code & barcode. I can testify that there is a lot of these US reissues that are missing on Discogs. Trojan US decided not to print some of the releases as probably they thought that it wouldnít work with their market. Iím not finished yet as Iíve done 2002-2003-2004 and a part of 2005. These are the releases that (Iím mostly sure) were not printed for the US market.

YOUNG GIFTED & BLACK Vol.1 (2002) (TJDDD006)
YOUNG GIFTED & BLACK Vol.2 (2004) (TJODD184)
REGGAE LOVE SONGS Vol.1 (2003) (TDSAN001)
TIGHTEN UP Vol.5 (2002) (TJCCD049)
WORK YOUR SOUL Vol.1 (2003) (TJDCD069)
COOL RULER: THE DEFINITIVE COLLECTION (Gregory Isaacs) (2003) (TJDDD131)
REBEL RADIO (2004) (TJDDD167)
TROJAN EXPLOSION (2004) (TJCCD141)
GOOD THING GOING (The Best Of Sugar Minott) (2004) (TJACD210)
DAT (The Best Of Pluto Shervington) (2004) (TJACD178)
PLEASE DONĒT MAKE ME CRY (Winston Groovy) (2004) (TJACD196)
COOL COOL RIDER (Beenie Man) (2004) (TJACD187)
IT KEEPS RAININí (The Best Of Bitty McLean) (2004) (TJCCD138)
MUSIC IN THE AIR (Matumbi) (2005) (TJDDD227)
JAH ROCK STYLE (Jackie Mittoo) (2005) (TJCCD302)
LIVING MY CULTURE (Mike Brooks) (2005) (TJDDD303)
FREEDOM, THE ANTHOLOGY (Clancy Ecless) (2005) (TJDDD297)

When it comes to the 3CD Box Sets, itís far more complicated. As it was more expensive to print these box sets than regular CDs, Trojan US had to make sure a decent amount of copies would be ordered by the stores before going to the printer. In majority of the cases, they chose to order the UK edition and put a US barcode sticker over the UK barcode. According to the pictures I was able to locate, 23 box sets were printed, 34 were released with stickers. Iím still missing the information for 12 box sets, meaning wasnít able to locate a picture of the back with a sticker that prove it wasnít printed.
Zapatoo_the_Tiger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mango Guava Reggae wrote:
If it's in your database May 21, 2005, that means it's already on the market at that date? Meaning you've seen it in stores or a friend purchased it?
Yes - I never enter details into my database before I've actually got the disc(s) and the likelihood is that I bought it online, although not from Amazon (I only placed 1 order from them in 2005), more likely from hmv.com or play.com - unlikely to have bought from the Trojan website as those prices were usually a little more than the aforementioned.

Last edited by Zapatoo_the_Tiger on Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zapatoo_the_Tiger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zapatoo_the_Tiger wrote:

That answer is only from my perspective and I might be wrong, but from my readings, I have the feeling that UK was way more exposed to reggae than USA. A box set like this one is directed at the same crowd as people that would purchase 'Young Gifted & Black' compilation...
...being a much smaller country, the general logistics of exposure through many years was probably much simpler Wink

DISCOGS
I was the one who wrote the line that you quoted from the description in Discogs.
Laughing Laughing

Zapatoo_the_Tiger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TROJAN US vs. TROJAN UK

I'm currently working on a database with each releases. During it's existence, TROJAN US was more or less reproducing the exact same releases as TROJAN UK with 4 to 9 weeks difference between released dates. In 99% of the cases, the UK comes before the US edition. So far, the only released that I have seen issued before in the US are: 'This Is Reggae Music' Box Set and 'Club Dread' soundtrack...
An arduous and thankless task I think, with only personal satisfaction to show for it?

Keep up the good work Cool

Mango Guava Reggae
Music Is The Key

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, it's for personal purpose. If anyone would like it when it's finished, I could share it.

During the past 12 months, I've collected the 69 box sets. That was quite a task to get them in a 'Near Mint' condition at a reasonable price ('reasonable' considering what some sellers are now asking for) But I had a lot of fun collecting them.

I am now realising how much quality music there is under the Trojan umbrella and decided to collect more. At the moment, my budget is not permitting, but in a few months I will start searching for some of the nice compilations that were issued between 2002 and 2007.
Zapatoo_the_Tiger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some happy hunting beckons..maybe also some frustrations!

Good luck!

Dr. Sploom
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zapatoo_the_Tiger wrote:

From your comment below, it looks like we can narrow the UK release date to the first half of May 2005.

From Discogs:

The UK Edition of this Box Set was issued after the US Edition, which is unusual for the Trojan releases. The US Edition was issued in late October or early November 2004 while the UK version was issued in late May or early June 2005.

https://www.discogs.com/Various-This-Is-Reggae-Music-The-Golden-Era-1960-1975/release/588921

Yes. It was needed more, in the US, as more people only think of Bob, when it comes to Reggae, sadly. Rolling Eyes

I hate Disneyland. It primes our kids for Las Vegas.
-Tom Waits
Dr. Sploom
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zapatoo_the_Tiger wrote:

Good luck!
Yes. It will be a roller coaster, of emotions. But, it will be worth it, in the end, I reckon. Wink

-Tom Waits
Dr. Sploom
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zapatoo_the_Tiger wrote:
TROJAN US vs. TROJAN UK

I'm currently working on a database with each releases. During it's existence, TROJAN US was more or less reproducing the exact same releases as TROJAN UK with 4 to 9 weeks difference between released dates. In 99% of the cases, the UK comes before the US edition. So far, the only released that I have seen issued before in the US are: 'This Is Reggae Music' Box Set and 'Club Dread' soundtrack...
An arduous and thankless task I think, with only personal satisfaction to show for it?

Keep up the good work Cool
+1. Smile

-Tom Waits
Mango Guava Reggae
Music Is The Key

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zapatoo_the_Tiger wrote:

Good luck!

You probably make reference to the zillion duplicates of songs. I know. That is mainly why I initially didn't gave too much attention to Trojan compilations because of the duplicates. I once studied the Bob Marley catalogue and lost interest in the label because of the way they marketed their products.

But I have to say that I am now gaining back interest that I lost 15 years ago as it's only a matter of choosing the right products with them, that is the reason why I'm making that document to better select what I will chose to purchase as some of the prices are starting to be quite expensive.

Outside of the 69 box sets, I currently have approx. 40 Trojan CDs and the nice 4CD box set 'Story of Trojan' that was issued in 2011.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Trojan Forum Forum Index -> Recommendations / Reviews / Clunkers and stinkers!!! All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: