Trojan Forum Forum Index Trojan Forum
Trojan and other JA music discussion forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vin Morgan

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charlie Chalk
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject: Vin Morgan Reply with quote

Jamaica Observer:

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/entertainment/vin-morgan-gives-thanks_105999?profile=1119

Vin Morgan gives thanks

By Simone Morgan-Lindo, Observer reporter, Thursday, July 27, 2017

AFTER 50 years in the industry, veteran producer/musician Vincent Morgan has released his debut album called Vin Morgan Meet Lone Ark: Give Thanks.

Released on June 6, the 12-track set comprises six vocals and six instrumentals. It is produced by Roberto Sanchez and Hervie Brizec of France's Iroko Records. Singer Boris Gardener is credited as arranger.

Morgan explained why his debut project took him half-a-century to materialise.

“For years I was focused on teaching people how to sing properly and how to play music. I am not only a producer, but a musician and singer. I also used to played in a band called the Soul Defenders. I had released other singles, but my focus was mainly on being a musician,” he told the Jamaica Observer.

He said the album was done on vinyl and digital platforms.

“We decided to release it using both platforms because vinyl records are back at the top and are in high demand in the European reggae market. We also know the importance of online promotions, so a digital version was very much needed,” Morgan continued.

'Give Thanks' was released in France and is currently being distributed in England and Japan by Burning Bush Records.

“There are no barriers on this project. It is not centred around social issues alone, but speaks about life and love. Anyone from any religion can listen as the message in each song speaks a universal language. This album is an example for the younger set of singers that they have to understand their roles as entertainers and be careful of what they put on record. Record cannot wipe off, so whatever you record now cannot be erased 20 years later,” he said.

Side A of the vinyl contains songs like Thanks a Lot, This Train, and Gimmie the Vibes. Side B boasts Bingiman, Can't Complain and Won't Surrender.

Morgan hails from Linstead in Catherine. A founding member of hometown band Soul Defenders, he played keyboards and drums. It also comprised guitarist Ronald “Privy” Campbell and bassist Festus Walker. Freddie McKay and Nana McLean were the band's vocalists.

The band was formed in 1968 and worked as backing band for producer Clement Dodd at his Brentford Road-based Studio One recording facility.

“We have recorded with Culture, Dennis Brown, Horace Andy, Burning Spear, Wailing Souls, Alton Ellis, The Heptones. Our first session at Studio One saw us recording seven singles, four of which became instant hits,” Morgan told the Jamaica Observer.

Among those hit songs are Picture on the Wall by Freddie McKay (on which Hill played percussion) and Selection Train by the Selective Few. Soul Defenders also served as backing band for Culture from 1985 when he toured Europe and North America.

The band disbanded in 1985, but reunited six years later for Studio One's 35th anniversary celebration.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/iloveoxfordutd/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=25&_trksid=p3984.m1543.l2654
Zapatoo_the_Tiger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was well aware of VM as part of the Soul Defenders but only have 2 tunes credited to him (both versions and both Studio 1) BORDERLINE and CLINGING TO THE MEMORIES

Thanks Andy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63rcdLeXiU8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFuYIi5-igc

Last edited by Zapatoo_the_Tiger on Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dr. Sploom
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastically talented, fellow. Not much, featuring the Soul Defenders, I don't like. And, I love the tunes, Vin sings lead on. Ta, Andy! Very Happy

I hate Disneyland. It primes our kids for Las Vegas.
-Tom Waits
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Trojan Forum Forum Index -> Artists All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: