Trojan Forum Forum Index Trojan Forum
Trojan and other JA music discussion forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Definitive Reggae Poll
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Trojan Forum Forum Index -> 'The' Reggae Poll
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zapatoo_the_Tiger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can hear Ernest Ranglin's guitar style on loads of old Ska and pre-Ska tunes, bof69.

I wouldn't have heard of him either back in 1969-70 if it hadn't been for Bamboo's SOLID GOLD LP, I wouldn't have heard the wonderful SURFIN' - a long-time favourite - for some years.

I have a couple of his albums (the Trojan one and "Below The Bassline")and they're good, though laid back.

ER also arranged Millie's MY BOY LOLLIPOP recording session, though he didn't play on it and also did something, I can't exactly remeber what, for Theo Beckford's EASY SNAPPIN' (released in 1959, but allegedly recorded maybe as early as 1956)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63rcdLeXiU8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFuYIi5-igc
carlo
Get On The Ball

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:15 am    Post subject: ERNEST! Reply with quote

I HAVE HEARD SOME GREAT STUFF WITH HIM ON IT! SKA, STUDIO ONE ROCKSTEADY AND ROOTS TUNES! BOSS REGGAE (DYNAMIC) BUT I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN A FEW YEARS BACK PEOPLE WENT CRAZY FOR HIM, ABOUT THE TIME HE DIED!! HE'S GOOD ON HEART OF THE CONGO'S! HE WAS AROUND EARLY ON, HE'S A NAME THAT PEOPLE LIKE TO DROP WHEN THEY WANT TO SOUND LIKE THEY REALY KNOW THERE STUFF AT DINNER PARTY'S MAYBE! Laughing
carlo
Get On The Ball

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:20 am    Post subject: ERNEST! Reply with quote

SEE ZAPATOO CAN TELL YOU! AND I JUST LEARNT A FEW THINGS I DIDNT KNOW ABOUT HIM!! AND I FORGOT SURFIN!! Cool
Zapatoo_the_Tiger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: ERNEST! Reply with quote

carlo wrote:
... A FEW YEARS BACK PEOPLE WENT CRAZY FOR HIM, ABOUT THE TIME HE DIED!! HE'S GOOD ON HEART OF THE CONGO'S! HE WAS AROUND EARLY ON, HE'S A NAME THAT PEOPLE LIKE TO DROP WHEN THEY WANT TO SOUND LIKE THEY REALY KNOW THERE STUFF AT DINNER PARTY'S MAYBE! Laughing
Who do you mean, Carlo?

RudePete
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: ERNEST! Reply with quote

Zapatoo_the_Tiger wrote:
carlo wrote:
... A FEW YEARS BACK PEOPLE WENT CRAZY FOR HIM, ABOUT THE TIME HE DIED!! HE'S GOOD ON HEART OF THE CONGO'S! HE WAS AROUND EARLY ON, HE'S A NAME THAT PEOPLE LIKE TO DROP WHEN THEY WANT TO SOUND LIKE THEY REALY KNOW THERE STUFF AT DINNER PARTY'S MAYBE! Laughing
Who do you mean, Carlo?

Surely not Ernest, as he's still alive and pluckin'..... Cool
carlo
Get On The Ball

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:06 am    Post subject: ernest jamaican music! Reply with quote

is it true that rocksteady was the result of a particuarly hot (by jamaican standards) summer?!! Cool i like to think so! peter tosh was a great guitarist too! boris gardner or gardener, my ability to spell ceases sometimes with names!, anyone know of any lesser known, great jamaican musicians, guitarists?
carlo
Get On The Ball

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:23 am    Post subject: ernest is alive! Reply with quote

that is very strange i just checked and it seems he is alive and yet i was sure i read that he passed away in the early 000's! thankyou for correcting me! apologies to anyone who thought i was right, he was kind of rediscoverd around early 000's! obviousely i dont go to the right dinner party's! Embarrassed
RudePete
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: ernest jamaican music! Reply with quote

carlo wrote:
is it true that rocksteady was the result of a particuarly hot (by jamaican standards) summer?!! Cool i like to think so! peter tosh was a great guitarist too! boris gardner or gardener, my ability to spell ceases sometimes with names!, anyone know of any lesser known, great jamaican musicians, guitarists?

Peter Tosh, though a great singer/songwriter (one of my favourites) was never a great guitarist. Although I do like his rhythm guitar style. Boris Gardiner was/is a virtuoso bass guitarist. Lynn Taitt was the main man in the Rock Steady era, and had a very distinctive style. However, the most talented Reggae guitarist I've ever seen/heard is Steven "Cat" Coore of Third World. He was a classicaly trained cellist too. All IMHO obviously! Wink
Zapatoo_the_Tiger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: ernest jamaican music! Reply with quote

RudePete wrote:
Lynn Taitt was the main man in the Rock Steady era, and had a very distinctive style.
He's da man!

Don't forget Jah Jerry Hines (Skatalites) and the oh-so distinctive (almost as distinctive as Lynn Tait) licks of the master, Lynford 'Hux' Brown.

Zapatoo_the_Tiger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and Boris's surname is "Gardiner" Wink

carlo
Get On The Ball

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:50 pm    Post subject: GARDINER Reply with quote

Embarrassed Confused THANKYOU ZAPATOO!!!!!!!!!! Cool
carlo
Get On The Ball

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:30 pm    Post subject: MUSICIAN Reply with quote

OF COURSE JERRY HINES! LYN TAIT I MUST HAVE HEARD! BUT NOT HIS NAME! CAT CORE OR CAT CLAW, YES! TOSH GREAT SONGWRITER AND A GREAT GUITARIST! Cool 'HUX' GOT SOMETHING WITH HIM ON, CANT THINK AND DONT WANT TO REPEAT MY RECENT MISTAKES, DEFINITELY HEARD HIM THOUGH! THANKS PETE! Cool
Zapatoo_the_Tiger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not mistakes, Carlo - just gaps...

Hux Brown can be unmistakeably heard on tunes like MONKEY MAN, SAMFIE MAN, MUSICAL MADNESS, Paul Simon's MOTHER AND CHILD REUNION among a zillion other tracks...

carlo
Get On The Ball

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:00 pm    Post subject: HUX Reply with quote

A HA, OK! DONT KNOW SAMFIE MAN? MUSICAL MADNESS NOT SURE? THANKS! MIND THE GAPS! Cool
RudePete
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: HUX Reply with quote

carlo wrote:
A HA, OK! DONT KNOW SAMFIE MAN? MUSICAL MADNESS NOT SURE? THANKS! MIND THE GAPS! Cool

We all have gaps.... Just of varying sizes!! Cool Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Trojan Forum Forum Index -> 'The' Reggae Poll All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: