Trojan Forum Forum Index Trojan Forum
Trojan and other JA music discussion forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Very sad new regarding Mr. Charlie Reggae aka Ken Jones

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Trojan Forum Forum Index -> Archives
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mento Man
Music Is The Key

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:25 pm    Post subject: Very sad new regarding Mr. Charlie Reggae aka Ken Jones Reply with quote

I'm sorry to have to tell everyone this. I just receieved a phone call from Janine, Ken's (Charlie Reggae's) sister and of course immediately knew something was very very wrong.

She told me that yesterday around noon Ken was involved in a car accident whilst driving to pick up his son Harry and was killed. She was obviously very very upset and will be contacting people in his p.c.'s address book to let them know. Debbie and the kids Harry (J) and Olivia are coping, no doubt destroyed, having lost one of the most honest straight up, loving and generous people I have ever had the very good fortune to meet. Janine though obviously distraut told me that his end had been quick, and that the Police had told Debbie that he wouldn't have known much about it.

Charlie and I met here, a few years back now on the old message board. I was trying to track an entire Lp by about 4 lines of lyric, he placed it for me, did me a minidisc and I sent him some Treasure Isle 7s for his discography project. From that moment on he took it upon himself to 'educate me', & became as I've said many times here before, my Reggae Guru. He loved Jamaican music SO MUCH, co running Reggae Retro/Trybute record label for a time, writing some guides and discographies, and was only just recently putting his entire database online for those of us who like he, are obsessed by this music.

He had many contacts and friends involved with Jamaican music and will be sorely missed by them all.

In the last few years he had struggled with Early Onset Parkinson's disease, often becoming very frustrated by it, but nevertheless getting on with dealing with it, and not moping about too much. He kept strong and I admired him so much for it. The drugs often made him sleepy and more than one phonecall ended with me unable to raise him while listening remotely to his records going round and round, frantically sending him messages on MSN hoping that the noise would wake him up. He once told me that he had nodded off on to his keyboard and when he awoke there were 500 pages of the letter Z typed out...

But to me he was the bloke who would ring up at anytime of the day, and play me tunes down the phone until I had to go get some lunch, he was the mad man who would pull out some tiny obscure minute piece of information, or a story to go along with a tune. I owe so much to him.

The funeral has already been organised, and will take place in a village called East Woodlands just outside Frome in Somerset, where his family are from, next Wednesday the 30th at 2.30.

If anyone would like to send a card to the family, then please PM or e-mail me, and I will give you their Wantage address.

My heart goes out to his parents, Debbie and his two lovely kids.
Zapatoo_the_Tiger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is such sad news, Mike.

I only met Ken once, late last year, I was working in Newbury town and arranged to meet Ken (with Harry J) for a coffee - he was kind enough to bring along a number of UK and JA 7" singles for me - a very nice present indeed. We had a good chinwag for an hour or more, before going our separate ways.

As is often the case, we'd planned to meet again, though never quite got around to arranging it - and sadly now, never will.

Before that, we had conversed on line (via MSN) on quite a few occasions - sometimes philosophically about the music and other times just plain silly.

More recently, I'd had a few online chats with him and he seemed pleased at losing some weight (Ken was no lightweight in more ways than one) and was commenting about a book he was in the process of writing (I never did find out what it was about).

Unfortunately, I couldn't get MSN to work these last few weeks, so hadn't chatted with anyone online - I emailed Ken a couple of times, though I had no reply and had assumed he was so busy and too tired or maybe not in the best of health.

...and I believe he celebrated his 37th. birthday just a few days ago.

He is already sadly missed.

R.I.P. Ken Jones aka Charlie Reggae

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63rcdLeXiU8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFuYIi5-igc

Last edited by Zapatoo_the_Tiger on Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Moses
Bubble Up

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocking news indeed about a guy I spoke to only once but a real gentleman and family man he was.

Maybe we can get Trojan to release a compilation in his name?
Mento Man
Music Is The Key

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely, it was always something he wished to do, to write some notes for a Trojan release,... someone make it so, that would be SUCH a fitting tribute, pull some strings someone...
Ekki
I Am The Winner

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never met Ken personally, but he is responsible for really kicking the Jamaican Serenades series in the right direction.
I sent him my compilation of instrumentals (and of course there were only 4 or 5 tracks he didn't know) and 2 weeks later I recieved volume 2 with a nice cover and the subtitle " a tribute to my friend ekki helbig".
That was typical - what a sweet man & what a great loss.
My deepest thoughts to his family...
NorthernGordon
Good Ambition

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd only met Charlie twice in real life, but he was a fantastic host on both occasions. Pulling out tune after tune, making sure I had enough beer lol, and challenging me to a two player game of some obscure Japanese shootemup video game on one of his several video games machines.

We conversed a lot on the MSN Messenger service and swapped many a CDR. He'd just sent me a CDR of Bamboo 45s I didn't have and I had in my out tray a CD of the handful of Bamboo 45s that I owned that he didn't have, plus a few Banana titles to fill the disc.

I was just about to mail him sometime this week and ask what he was doing in the New Year as I'd planned to visit London regularly next year, taking advantage of cheap bus travel, and a detour to Wantage for the day was on the cards................

I've met a lot of good blokes through this shared love of Jamaican Music, and Charlie was right up there amongst the best.

R.I.P. Charlie mate.

Respect

Gordon
j j
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really sorry to hear that BMD. My heart goes out to everybody who's feeling this loss.

my respects to Charlie Reggae.RIP

j j
Intensified
Paradise

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a sad news !

I never met him but get in touch sometimes by mail and made some deal with him on Ebay .... Nice person.

What a Pity.... 37 years old Crying or Very Sad

R.I.P.
selektah twice
On Board

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie's love for the music and his generous personality shows when you look at how many of us he communicated with and how many of us he helped. I would have never even imagined he was only 37 years old. I'm crushed right know cause this morning I was thinking about contacting him regarding a song I had in my mind and which was on one of his compilations. I get to work and then I read this. R.I.P Charlie. We must give him the tribute he deserves.
Mento Man
Music Is The Key

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone here would like details of Charlie's funeral arrangements you can get in touch with me via the Blood and Fire message board, if the topic dissapears, just search for bmd. Zap can also pass on deets if you ask, as we can liase on that one.

Basically in Somerset Weds 3oth in the afternoon.
Zapatoo_the_Tiger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, indeed - I'm trying to make arrangements to be able to go (haven't got "clearance" yet) - anyone else wanting to, please get in touch with Mike or myself (as he says) and maybe we can meet somewhere on the way or arrange a car share or a pick up from a nearby railway station - or something...Wink

(As per the "Charlie Reggae" poll topic)

Ian Design
On Board

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi to all those who have posted about Kenn (Charlie Reggae)

I would consider myself one of his best friends, Olivia Godfater and is so nice to ready the response to the very tragic news about Kenn. I am at a loss, for he was the person you could call if you needed help, advise, a chat or even nothing just wanted to call.

He will be very missed, not just as a friend but someone who had a great influence on life. It is nice to see that he had so many good friends who cared for him and his family.

I pray for Debbie, Harry and Olivia that they pull thru this dark moment, and it is quotes from you all who help them.

Many thanks
Zapatoo_the_Tiger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, Ian Design - even though the circumstances are so sad...thanks for that...Wink

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Trojan Forum Forum Index -> Archives All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: