Trojan Forum Forum Index Trojan Forum
Trojan and other JA music discussion forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Really unexpected reggae track you've heard on TV
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 100, 101, 102  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Trojan Forum Forum Index -> Music! Music! Music! (JA & other)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnnyprampram
Good Ambition

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wink
dubclash,

It was used on an ad.
I thought it was The Halifax, but if it wasn't them it was some Financial Instituition Shocked I remember thinking it was a strange choice. Exclamation
Lt. Ritchie
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might have been more appropriate for Barclays Bank, considering their origins Shocked
oldwah
Paradise

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Racetrack by Jackie Mittoo was used on the Cup a Soup ads.
If it was the advert set in an office.
dubclash
On Board

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you're both right (Slavery Days for Halifax......Racetrack for cup a soup....
Ritchie, whats the connection with Barclays & Slavery days? It went way over my head mate Confused
Lt. Ritchie
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something that the present management of Barclays Bank would probably prefer their customers not to know is that the company's roots can be traced back to the slave trade of the 18th Century. Two Liverpool brothers, Arthur and Benjamin Heywood made their fortune in the slave trade. With this, they formed the bank named Arthur Heywood Sons & Co. and further profits were made by offering long-term loans to the owners of Liverpool's slave ships. The Heywoods' bank was taken over by the Bank of Liverpool, which in turn was swallowed by Martin's Bank. Finally, the whole consortium was bought out by Barclays.

Another bank with roots in a murky past is the Midland Bank - (now HSBC). This can be traced back to Leyland's Bank - formed in 1807 by Thomas Leyland, one of the three richest men in Liverpool. (In the years 1872 to 1807, his business shipped almost 3500 slaves to Jamaica, and Leyland served three terms as Mayor of Liverpool.) In 1901, Leyland's bank merged with the North and South Wales Bank, which in turn was bought out by the Midland.

Incidentally, another successful Liverpool family were the Gladstones. John Gladstones was a slave-trader who wrote declamatory pro-slavery articles in the Liverpool Mercury newspaper, defending the business, and served as the City of Liverpool's Member of Parliament from 1818 to 1827. Interestingly enough, his son William dropped the "s" from the family name when he entered politics in 1835. William Gladstone became Prime Minister in 1868.
jay
On Board

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lt. Ritchie wrote:
Something that the present management of Barclays Bank would probably prefer their customers not to know is that the company's roots can be traced back to the slave trade of the 18th Century. Two Liverpool brothers, Arthur and Benjamin Heywood made their fortune in the slave trade. With this, they formed the bank named Arthur Heywood Sons & Co. and further profits were made by offering long-term loans to the owners of Liverpool's slave ships. The Heywoods' bank was taken over by the Bank of Liverpool, which in turn was swallowed by Martin's Bank. Finally, the whole consortium was bought out by Barclays.

Another bank with roots in a murky past is the Midland Bank - (now HSBC). This can be traced back to Leyland's Bank - formed in 1807 by Thomas Leyland, one of the three richest men in Liverpool. (In the years 1872 to 1807, his business shipped almost 3500 slaves to Jamaica, and Leyland served three terms as Mayor of Liverpool.) In 1901, Leyland's bank merged with the North and South Wales Bank, which in turn was bought out by the Midland.

Incidentally, another successful Liverpool family were the Gladstones. John Gladstones was a slave-trader who wrote declamatory pro-slavery articles in the Liverpool Mercury newspaper, defending the business, and served as the City of Liverpool's Member of Parliament from 1818 to 1827. Interestingly enough, his son William dropped the "s" from the family name when he entered politics in 1835. William Gladstone became Prime Minister in 1868.

IRIE Cool Cool
Dani_GR3007
On Board

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last year on the new year´s program on the catalonian television (TV3), we can see the clip of Millie´s song My boy lollipop, hand by hand with any kind of TV freaks from our country...
Zapatoo_the_Tiger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 8:11 am    Post subject: CYMANDE Reply with quote

Not strictly reggae, but certainly rooted with and musically sympathetic to it, I heard Cymande's "Bra" on a BBC TV London news item last night - can't remember the subject though Smile

I thought this was worth a mention as Cymande (with the notable exception of their much-sampled-and-featuring-on-many-retro-"cogniscenti"-type-70s-soul-and-funk-compilations-but-still-very-excellent "The Message") have been largely ignored, not only by the masses, but also in this forum.

Having said that, I do occasionally hear snippets of "Dove" on the radio or television - indeed it's the basis of one of Kinobe's tracks on their unusual "Soundphiles" album of a couple of years ago (Benjamin Zephaniah also features on another track on this album).

Cymande were a London-based band of Jamaicans, playing what they called "nyah rock" and made 3 albums. I guess because a) their music could not easily be categorised (by dinosaur organisations like the BBC) and b) Reggae was out of favour by 1972-73 - they got little or no UK airplay and their second album ("Second Time Round") was originally only obtainable as a U.S. import Shocked Shocked (Janus JLS3054 1973) - I don't know if that ever got a UK release.

A great band, I'd recommend their "Best Of..." (UK Sequel NEXCD202 1992) to anybody:
1. The Message - 1973
2. Brothers On The Slide - 1974
3. Dove - 1973
4. Bra - 1973
5. Fug - 1974
6. For Baby Ooh! - 1974
7. Rickshaw - 1973
8. Equitorial Forest - 1973
9. Listen - 1973
10. Getting It Back - 1973
11. Anthracite - 1974
12. Willie's Headache - 1974
13. Genevieve - 1974
14. Pon Der Jungle - 1974
15. Rastafarian Folk Song - 1973
16. One More - 1973
17. Zion I - 1973

...I wonder what happened to Messrs. Scipio, Patterson and the rest of the band... Question Question

(There, that's my 1,000th. post to this site off my chest)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63rcdLeXiU8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFuYIi5-igc
shinyboots
Get On The Ball

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in the US a regional cable tv provider used "A Message to you, Rudy" to promote their sports channels. It was a number of years ago and I don't recall which version it was, but was very surprised at the time.
Lt. Ritchie
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Shiny

I hope said company recompensed Mr Thompson for the use of his song Wink
Kofi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 3:47 pm    Post subject: CYMANDE Reply with quote

Greetings Zapatoo

I read on dis thread about a site call Iceberg and when you mention Cymande I thought I woulda put cymande + iceberg on google and sure nuff the details of the group come up Exclamation

Bra is an AFRICAN term for brother, though I knew that before I read the article. Don't know if you know Dollar Brand aka Abdullah Ibrahim but he had a big hit with a tune call Bra With Expert Timing about a breddah with excellent timing.

Peace out

Kofi
Zapatoo_the_Tiger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kofi wrote
Quote:
Bra is an AFRICAN term for brother, though I knew that before I read the article. Don't know if you know Dollar Brand aka Abdullah Ibrahim but he had a big hit with a tune call Bra With Expert Timing about a breddah with excellent timing.
I knew the term, Kofi, but don't know Dollar Brand / Abdullah Ibrahim Sad

malc
Paradise

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 8:04 am    Post subject: Eastenders again Reply with quote

Monday 23rd feb 2004 "city too hot" Lee Perry
Zapatoo_the_Tiger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On Eastenders last night (23rd. Feb.) Patrick put a CD on (called "Reggae Jammin'" I think) and made a reference to Scratch Perry, the "Upsetter" to the young scallywag who is stopping with them right now...

I didn't really catch the detail, nor the music Sad because I was on the phone at the time. Shocked

malc
Paradise

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was "city too hot" by Lee Perry, wonder if it available ? cos it sure ain't the one shown on Amazon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Trojan Forum Forum Index -> Music! Music! Music! (JA & other) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 100, 101, 102  Next
Page 2 of 102

Jump to: