Trojan Forum Forum Index Trojan Forum
Trojan and other JA music discussion forum
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Really unexpected reggae track you've heard on TV
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 98, 99, 100, 101  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Trojan Forum Forum Index -> Music! Music! Music! (JA & other)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Pete
Golden Festival


Joined: 15 May 2003
Posts: 2247

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zapatoo_the_Tiger wrote:
Haven't heard of either "Guerrilla" or "Guerrilla the Gardener" - I assume it's the Judy Mowatt (as "Julie Ann") song, in which case the former applies!
Driving home on Thursday I couldn't get a radio signal so ended up re tuning to Radio Two and to my surprise the first tune I heard was the Upsetters `Dig Your Grave' before the programme changed to a soul show with a smattering of reggae, Junior Murvin's `Cool Out Son' and Junior Gong's `Welcome To Jamrock.' Cool
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Trev
Golden Festival


Joined: 09 May 2003
Posts: 1232

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete wrote:
Zapatoo_the_Tiger wrote:
Haven't heard of either "Guerrilla" or "Guerrilla the Gardener" - I assume it's the Judy Mowatt (as "Julie Ann") song, in which case the former applies!
Driving home on Thursday I couldn't get a radio signal so ended up re tuning to Radio Two and to my surprise the first tune I heard was the Upsetters `Dig Your Grave' before the programme changed to a soul show with a smattering of reggae, Junior Murvin's `Cool Out Son' and Junior Gong's `Welcome To Jamrock.' Cool
The soul show was presented by one of the Fun Loving Criminals, and I could see why it seemed like a soul show but it also included the Faces and Hall & Oates so more of a personal choice thing.
And the Upsetters cut was `High Plains Drifter' which I'm sure you know is basically an alternate take of `Dig Your Grave'.
_________________
Not so clever Trevor checking the vibes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Zapatoo_the_Tiger
Site Admin


Joined: 12 May 2003
Posts: 61304
Location: Surrey (KT16)

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I remember, I'll put those 2 sevens side by side for a listen Wink
_________________
Play it nice and cool, son. Nice and cool! You know what I mean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63rcdLeXiU8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFuYIi5-igc
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
Fang Sheng
Music Is The Key


Joined: 11 Nov 2004
Posts: 149

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not on TV, so please excuse me, but I was in a large Boots (the chemist) shop last weekend in Mell Square, Solihull, and for some reason one of the perfume counters had a small PA speaker plugged in and playing a cool dub track reasonably loud. It was pleasant and quite surreal in equal measure


Cool
_________________
Life Has Surface Noise - John Peel
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RudePete
Golden Festival


Joined: 25 Jan 2008
Posts: 14832
Location: Reading

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fang Sheng wrote:
Not on TV, so please excuse me, but I was in a large Boots (the chemist) shop last weekend in Mell Square, Solihull, and for some reason one of the perfume counters had a small PA speaker plugged in and playing a cool dub track reasonably loud. It was pleasant and quite surreal in equal measure


Cool


Nice..... Smile
_________________
Blessed are the cheesemakers....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dr. Sploom
Golden Festival


Joined: 25 Dec 2007
Posts: 30177
Location: Commonwealth of Virginia

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RudePete wrote:
Fang Sheng wrote:
Not on TV, so please excuse me, but I was in a large Boots (the chemist) shop last weekend in Mell Square, Solihull, and for some reason one of the perfume counters had a small PA speaker plugged in and playing a cool dub track reasonably loud. It was pleasant and quite surreal in equal measure


Cool


Nice..... Smile
+1/ Reminds me of the time, 17 years ago, when I popped into a Harry & Davids, the then-missus worked at. Couldn't believe it, when I heard "Fire Coal Man", by the Wailings Souls, being played, on the PA, for the entire mall! Surprised
_________________
It seems that our brave new world is becoming less tolerant, spiritual and educated than it ever was when I was young.
-Lemmy Kilmister

I hate Disneyland. It primes our kids for Las Vegas.
-Tom Waits
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Zapatoo_the_Tiger
Site Admin


Joined: 12 May 2003
Posts: 61304
Location: Surrey (KT16)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Sploom wrote:
RudePete wrote:
Fang Sheng wrote:
Not on TV, so please excuse me, but I was in a large Boots (the chemist) shop last weekend in Mell Square, Solihull, and for some reason one of the perfume counters had a small PA speaker plugged in and playing a cool dub track reasonably loud. It was pleasant and quite surreal in equal measure


Cool


Nice..... Smile
+1/ Reminds me of the time, 17 years ago, when I popped into a Harry & Davids, the then-missus worked at. Couldn't believe it, when I heard "Fire Coal Man", by the Wailings Souls, being played, on the PA, for the entire mall! Surprised
The day I bought that single (on Banana and mis-credited to the Classics) was a sad day for me, as it was the day that that Arsenal beat Liverpool in the FA Cup Final in 1971 ( the sods won the double that year as well *grrr*)
_________________
Play it nice and cool, son. Nice and cool! You know what I mean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63rcdLeXiU8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFuYIi5-igc
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
northern ian
Warming Up The Scene


Joined: 12 Nov 2003
Posts: 298
Location: leeds

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zapatoo_the_Tiger wrote:
The day I bought that single (on Banana and mis-credited to the Classics) was a sad day for me, as it was the day that that Arsenal beat Liverpool in the FA Cup Final in 1971 ( the sods won the double that year as well *grrr*)
It was neck and neck in the league with us and in April we beat them 1-0 but sadly they scraped through
_________________
Divvint drop your dottle on the proggie mat!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Zapatoo_the_Tiger
Site Admin


Joined: 12 May 2003
Posts: 61304
Location: Surrey (KT16)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

northern ian wrote:
Zapatoo_the_Tiger wrote:
The day I bought that single (on Banana and mis-credited to the Classics) was a sad day for me, as it was the day that that Arsenal beat Liverpool in the FA Cup Final in 1971 ( the sods won the double that year as well *grrr*)
It was neck and neck in the league with us and in April we beat them 1-0 but sadly they scraped through

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1970%E2%80%9371_Football_League
_________________
Play it nice and cool, son. Nice and cool! You know what I mean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63rcdLeXiU8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFuYIi5-igc
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
Dr. Sploom
Golden Festival


Joined: 25 Dec 2007
Posts: 30177
Location: Commonwealth of Virginia

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A young fellow, popped into the senior centre, the other day, to pick up, his grandpa, wearing an Arsenal home jersey. I had to heckle him, which took him by surprise. I should've kept calm, and faked a British accent, and maybe, he'd pissed himself! Mr. Green

Also, after reading about the Trotters, of Bolton, being relegated to the Third Division.....It's nice to know, they're keep in form, with how it were, 45 years ago.....QPR, as well..... Rolling Eyes
_________________
It seems that our brave new world is becoming less tolerant, spiritual and educated than it ever was when I was young.
-Lemmy Kilmister

I hate Disneyland. It primes our kids for Las Vegas.
-Tom Waits
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Zapatoo_the_Tiger
Site Admin


Joined: 12 May 2003
Posts: 61304
Location: Surrey (KT16)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...good for the Trotters that the secured automatic promotion back to the Championship (second division) last season - at the first time of asking too, if memory serves Wink
_________________
Play it nice and cool, son. Nice and cool! You know what I mean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63rcdLeXiU8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFuYIi5-igc
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
Dr. Sploom
Golden Festival


Joined: 25 Dec 2007
Posts: 30177
Location: Commonwealth of Virginia

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zapatoo_the_Tiger wrote:
...good for the Trotters that the secured automatic promotion back to the Championship (second division) last season - at the first time of asking too, if memory serves Wink
They seem to be making progress. The whole deal with Reebok, shot their wad. They tried to compete, with the London clubs, & Man U, and it cost them, dearly. I was happy, just having them in the Premier, longer than anyone else. The relegations, weren't nice, to see....But, they were expected. The worst thing, for me, was seeing BIG Sam, as manager of Blackburn. Yeck! At least, it weren't Wolverhampton. Though, I understand, one can get a good curry, in Wolverhampton. Very Happy
_________________
It seems that our brave new world is becoming less tolerant, spiritual and educated than it ever was when I was young.
-Lemmy Kilmister

I hate Disneyland. It primes our kids for Las Vegas.
-Tom Waits
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Zapatoo_the_Tiger
Site Admin


Joined: 12 May 2003
Posts: 61304
Location: Surrey (KT16)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a damned good curry in Wolverhampton, but that was 40 years ago and I doubt I've been back there since.
_________________
Play it nice and cool, son. Nice and cool! You know what I mean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63rcdLeXiU8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFuYIi5-igc
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
Dr. Sploom
Golden Festival


Joined: 25 Dec 2007
Posts: 30177
Location: Commonwealth of Virginia

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zapatoo_the_Tiger wrote:
I've had a damned good curry in Wolverhampton, but that was 40 years ago and I doubt I've been back there since.
I haven't had a damned good (Indian)curry, in so long, I've forgotten. I did have a delicious Thai curry, 5 years ago.

Not many Thai's, or Indians, in my neck of the woods. And, "Taste of India" you get at the grocers, isn't the same, as having it, freshly made, in-house, at a family owned restaurant. Smile

Now, I want, some Tandoori chicken, & chips! Very Happy
_________________
It seems that our brave new world is becoming less tolerant, spiritual and educated than it ever was when I was young.
-Lemmy Kilmister

I hate Disneyland. It primes our kids for Las Vegas.
-Tom Waits
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
RudePete
Golden Festival


Joined: 25 Jan 2008
Posts: 14832
Location: Reading

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Sploom wrote:


Now, I want, some Tandoori chicken, & chips! Very Happy


Authentic Delhi spuds of course! Very Happy
_________________
Blessed are the cheesemakers....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Trojan Forum Forum Index -> Music! Music! Music! (JA & other) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 98, 99, 100, 101  Next
Page 99 of 101

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group