Trojan Forum Forum Index Trojan Forum
Trojan and other JA music discussion forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Really unexpected reggae track you've heard on TV
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 98, 99, 100, 101  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Trojan Forum Forum Index -> Music! Music! Music! (JA & other)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pete
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zapatoo_the_Tiger wrote:
Haven't heard of either "Guerrilla" or "Guerrilla the Gardener" - I assume it's the Judy Mowatt (as "Julie Ann") song, in which case the former applies!
Driving home on Thursday I couldn't get a radio signal so ended up re tuning to Radio Two and to my surprise the first tune I heard was the Upsetters `Dig Your Grave' before the programme changed to a soul show with a smattering of reggae, Junior Murvin's `Cool Out Son' and Junior Gong's `Welcome To Jamrock.' Cool
Trev
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete wrote:
Zapatoo_the_Tiger wrote:
Haven't heard of either "Guerrilla" or "Guerrilla the Gardener" - I assume it's the Judy Mowatt (as "Julie Ann") song, in which case the former applies!
Driving home on Thursday I couldn't get a radio signal so ended up re tuning to Radio Two and to my surprise the first tune I heard was the Upsetters `Dig Your Grave' before the programme changed to a soul show with a smattering of reggae, Junior Murvin's `Cool Out Son' and Junior Gong's `Welcome To Jamrock.' Cool
The soul show was presented by one of the Fun Loving Criminals, and I could see why it seemed like a soul show but it also included the Faces and Hall & Oates so more of a personal choice thing.
And the Upsetters cut was `High Plains Drifter' which I'm sure you know is basically an alternate take of `Dig Your Grave'.
Zapatoo_the_Tiger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I remember, I'll put those 2 sevens side by side for a listen Wink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63rcdLeXiU8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFuYIi5-igc
Fang Sheng
Music Is The Key

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not on TV, so please excuse me, but I was in a large Boots (the chemist) shop last weekend in Mell Square, Solihull, and for some reason one of the perfume counters had a small PA speaker plugged in and playing a cool dub track reasonably loud. It was pleasant and quite surreal in equal measure

Cool
RudePete
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fang Sheng wrote:
Not on TV, so please excuse me, but I was in a large Boots (the chemist) shop last weekend in Mell Square, Solihull, and for some reason one of the perfume counters had a small PA speaker plugged in and playing a cool dub track reasonably loud. It was pleasant and quite surreal in equal measure

Cool

Nice..... Smile
Dr. Sploom
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RudePete wrote:
Fang Sheng wrote:

Cool

Nice..... Smile
+1/ Reminds me of the time, 17 years ago, when I popped into a Harry & Davids, the then-missus worked at. Couldn't believe it, when I heard "Fire Coal Man", by the Wailings Souls, being played, on the PA, for the entire mall! Surprised

I hate Disneyland. It primes our kids for Las Vegas.
-Tom Waits
Zapatoo_the_Tiger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Sploom wrote:
RudePete wrote:
Fang Sheng wrote:

Cool

Nice..... Smile
+1/ Reminds me of the time, 17 years ago, when I popped into a Harry & Davids, the then-missus worked at. Couldn't believe it, when I heard "Fire Coal Man", by the Wailings Souls, being played, on the PA, for the entire mall! Surprised
The day I bought that single (on Banana and mis-credited to the Classics) was a sad day for me, as it was the day that that Arsenal beat Liverpool in the FA Cup Final in 1971 ( the sods won the double that year as well *grrr*)

northern ian
Warming Up The Scene

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zapatoo_the_Tiger wrote:
The day I bought that single (on Banana and mis-credited to the Classics) was a sad day for me, as it was the day that that Arsenal beat Liverpool in the FA Cup Final in 1971 ( the sods won the double that year as well *grrr*)
It was neck and neck in the league with us and in April we beat them 1-0 but sadly they scraped through
Zapatoo_the_Tiger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

northern ian wrote:
Zapatoo_the_Tiger wrote:
It was neck and neck in the league with us and in April we beat them 1-0 but sadly they scraped through

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1970%E2%80%9371_Football_League

Dr. Sploom
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A young fellow, popped into the senior centre, the other day, to pick up, his grandpa, wearing an Arsenal home jersey. I had to heckle him, which took him by surprise. I should've kept calm, and faked a British accent, and maybe, he'd pissed himself! Mr. Green

Also, after reading about the Trotters, of Bolton, being relegated to the Third Division.....It's nice to know, they're keep in form, with how it were, 45 years ago.....QPR, as well..... Rolling Eyes

-Tom Waits
Zapatoo_the_Tiger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...good for the Trotters that the secured automatic promotion back to the Championship (second division) last season - at the first time of asking too, if memory serves Wink

Dr. Sploom
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zapatoo_the_Tiger wrote:
...good for the Trotters that the secured automatic promotion back to the Championship (second division) last season - at the first time of asking too, if memory serves Wink
They seem to be making progress. The whole deal with Reebok, shot their wad. They tried to compete, with the London clubs, & Man U, and it cost them, dearly. I was happy, just having them in the Premier, longer than anyone else. The relegations, weren't nice, to see....But, they were expected. The worst thing, for me, was seeing BIG Sam, as manager of Blackburn. Yeck! At least, it weren't Wolverhampton. Though, I understand, one can get a good curry, in Wolverhampton. Very Happy

-Tom Waits
Zapatoo_the_Tiger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a damned good curry in Wolverhampton, but that was 40 years ago and I doubt I've been back there since.

Dr. Sploom
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zapatoo_the_Tiger wrote:
I've had a damned good curry in Wolverhampton, but that was 40 years ago and I doubt I've been back there since.
I haven't had a damned good (Indian)curry, in so long, I've forgotten. I did have a delicious Thai curry, 5 years ago.

Not many Thai's, or Indians, in my neck of the woods. And, "Taste of India" you get at the grocers, isn't the same, as having it, freshly made, in-house, at a family owned restaurant. Smile

Now, I want, some Tandoori chicken, & chips! Very Happy

-Tom Waits
RudePete
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Sploom wrote:

Now, I want, some Tandoori chicken, & chips! Very Happy

Authentic Delhi spuds of course! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Trojan Forum Forum Index -> Music! Music! Music! (JA & other) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 98, 99, 100, 101  Next
Page 99 of 101

Jump to: