Trojan Forum Forum Index Trojan Forum
Trojan and other JA music discussion forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Skinhead + Revive Reggae recommendations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 220, 221, 222 ... 225, 226, 227  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Trojan Forum Forum Index -> Recommendations / Reviews / Clunkers and stinkers!!!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zapatoo_the_Tiger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I think I meant the "December 2015 RSG!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63rcdLeXiU8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFuYIi5-igc
Dr. Sploom
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zapatoo_the_Tiger wrote:
Actually, I think I meant the "December 2015 RSG!"
No worries. I remembered him playing it, at one of the specials. I think it was 2015, though. Wink

I hate Disneyland. It primes our kids for Las Vegas.
-Tom Waits
Dr. Sploom
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.discogs.com/Royals-Pick-Up-The-Pieces/release/1341237

Picked this up, in near mint condition, for a mere 0.487895. Or $.61, in US dollars. At first, I wasn't going to get it, as the Royals are worth much more than that.....But, it occurred to me, someone "upstairs", might've had a hand, in my coming across, this super bargain, so I parted, with the required lolly.

When this came out, 15 years ago, I was in my "Skinhead Reggae, or else" phase, of my life. I certainly appreciated a few of the tunes, but Roots was something I gave a wide berth, to.

I remember when Plan 9 Records, got a copy of it, to feature in the machine they had, that let you preview, what was on the CD's, they were flogging as specials for the week, and/or month. My missus at the time, had just gotten me two Ben Sherman's -my first Bennies- in fact, so I remember the day, well. Smile

Over the years, my appreciation of Roots grew, & I've been hoovering up, lots of sets, I gave a miss, all those years ago. I feel a wee plonkerish, but better late, than never, right? Rolling Eyes

All of that said, the important part is what you get, on this set. Via the music, & what's in the booklet.

The music is sublime. The lyrics are heartfelt, & intelligent. And, the vocal delivery is some of the best, you will ever hear.

The liner notes, offer a lovely insight into the history of the group, namely Roy Cousins, & how he, & the ever changing Royals(members, & group name), worked for this producer, or with this artist, that became better known elsewhere. However, there are a few sentences, that were a hard to read, due to "typos". Still, these don't hinder too badly, what the author, Harry Hawke, is trying to convey. Wink

The set also features the wonderful photography of Dave Hendley(RIP), whose death, I still can't believe, is so recent. Sad

Highlights abound, throughout, but for me, the best of the lot is: "Down Comes the Rain". Ridiculously infectious melodies, & the lyrics are a hoot! Also, you get two different versions, of two tunes: "When You Are Wrong", & "Make Believe". Both versions, are top. Smile

I liked that Harry Hawke made it clear, that Roy Cousins, has tried to do it, his way, & has paid the price, for not toeing the line. For his independent attitude, Roy Cousins/The Royals, is/are only known, by a few people. Harry hoped this set, would do something, to change that.

It's 15 years later, & I guess it has, somewhat. I've seen "Pick Up the Pieces" re-issued on Pressure Sounds in 2015, & again on Tamoki Wambesi. But still, there are lesser artists, or groups, who continue to have the "stardom" within the 'Retro-Reggae world'. Or so it seems. Rolling Eyes

For me, I give this set 4.5 stars out of 5. I think it's essential listening at the least, but should be in the library of anyone, who considers themselves a fan of Reggae.

As I've said earlier, the lyrics are very intelligent, and able to help one, visualise what the group is singing about, in your mind's eye. Something, very few groups, of any genre, can do to me..... Wink

-Tom Waits
Dr. Sploom
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, you may recognise "Only For A Time", as being "Things Gotta Change", by the Pioneers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbjmEQul0L8
Pioneers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAcwXBLvu5E
Royals

Sound similar, don't they?
Wink

Here's the one from the set:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJzzGXBmDHo

Wink

-Tom Waits
Zapatoo_the_Tiger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't had that "Pick Up The Pieces" PS album all that long either.

Dr. Sploom
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zapatoo_the_Tiger wrote:
I haven't had that "Pick Up The Pieces" PS album all that long either.
IIRC, you plumped for the 2015 re-issue. Wink

Is it one you play often? Or at all? I know how massive that stack of CD's, & records is! I reckon when you finally get to retire, you'll be able to whittle it down, set by set, or record, by record. Smile

-Tom Waits
Zapatoo_the_Tiger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Sploom wrote:
Is it one you play often? Or at all? I know how massive that stack of CD's, & records is!
yes, you've answered your question Very Happy

Dr. Sploom
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zapatoo_the_Tiger wrote:
Dr. Sploom wrote:
Is it one you play often? Or at all? I know how massive that stack of CD's, & records is!
yes, you've answered your question Very Happy
Thought so. Mr. Green

-Tom Waits
j j
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn 61 cents !!!! Now that is a bloody good bargain Doc!

j j
Dr. Sploom
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

j j wrote:
Damn 61 cents !!!! Now that is a bloody good bargain Doc!

j j
Disc was like new, too. Jewel case was in excellent nick, as well. I can't be sure, but I think it's a 2015 re-issue, as I don't see CD's 15+ years old, in that kind of nick, unless they are deadstock, & still wrapped in the cellophane. It also helps to live in a country, where Reggae isn't on the radar, except in certain regions. New York, Ohio, California, Florida, Hawaii, Alaska..... Wink

-Tom Waits
Dr. Sploom
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Spirit-Of-69-The-Boss-Reggae-Sevens-Collection/master/1058630

A well presented offering. The box is heavy-weight card stock. The record sleeves, are heavy-weight card stock, as well. Insert isn't too flimsy, or rigid. The liner notes, by Michael de Konigh(RIP), are well done, albeit short. However, you are still given a goodly amount of information, in that short space. Wink

Some lovely photos, & artwork from the era, adorns the insert, as well. Smile

Musically speaking, you are treated to some very nice sounds, which are, for the most part, very Skinhead friendly. However, I'm a wee confused why single 3 would feature a slow Soul ballad, when the set is flogged as: "The Boss Reggae Sevens Collection".....Soul Jazz influence, perhaps? Mr. Green

That grouse aside, the rest of the set, features singles with the upbeat, & jumpy riddims, that got the youth of Britain excited in the tail-end of the 1960's. Well, those in the know, at least.....The rest of British youth was into something else.....Razz

For me, it's great to have vinyl copies of: "Apollo 11", "Love Love Every Day", "Freedom Sound"(the highlight of the set!), "Come Look Here", & "Easy Sounds".

Some have said the sound quality, is great. I cannot go against that, except with my single 7, featuring Tyrone Evans(as Tyrone Davis on here). You can hear, what sounds like my needle dragging across the 45! It's the only single of the lot, that has this problem, which is a good thing. I'm a wee miffed, but it's not the end of the world. Rolling Eyes

My only other grouse is that I'm sick to death of "Ali Baba" by John Holt. It's never been one of my favourites, even the version! But, "Freedom Sound" more than compensates, for this.

Now, while this set is clearly aimed at those, of a Skinhead persuasion, it can be easily enjoyed by anyone, into good music. Even Derrick Harriott's Soul offering, isn't bad. It's just out of place, to me....Good thing the flip features some toe tapping Reggae.... Laughing

Overall, I give the set, a solid 4 out of 5 stars. However, I don't think this would make for a good starting point, into the "Sounds of Skinhead"......As this is more appropriate for those, who were there in '69, or have been into these types of sounds for better part of a decade. Then again, YT seems to have sped up the process of "maturation" in regards to being able to find, & appreciate, different types of music.....So I may be off, with my assertion, there..... Laughing

Finally, I am glad, that this effort, of the late Michael de Konigh, was able to get issued. I can only wish, that he'd been here, on the 13th, when it finally was issued to the general public. I for one, will miss his contributions, to a genre of music, I've held close to my heart, for the better part of a quarter century......I can only imagine, if he was able to put together a second volume, of "Spirit of '69"...... Sad

But, at least we have, what we have! Smile

-Tom Waits

Last edited by Dr. Sploom on Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zapatoo_the_Tiger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to read, Doc - and not the first to mention a sound problem with the Tyrone Evans.

Still haven't unwrapped mine and will bide my time...

Dr. Sploom
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zapatoo_the_Tiger wrote:
Good to read, Doc - and not the first to mention a sound problem with the Tyrone Evans.

Good to know I'm not the only one, I guess....Then again, I don't like hearing there's a flaw with this set. Rolling Eyes

-Tom Waits
Zapatoo_the_Tiger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Sploom wrote:
Zapatoo_the_Tiger wrote:

Good to know I'm not the only one, I guess....Then again, I don't like hearing there's a flaw with this set. Rolling Eyes
I have this on original Trojan single, but don't recall anything out of the ordinary with the sound.

Dr. Sploom
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zapatoo_the_Tiger wrote:
Dr. Sploom wrote:
Zapatoo_the_Tiger wrote:

I have this on original Trojan single, but don't recall anything out of the ordinary with the sound.
I don't think there is a problem, with the Trojan original, IIRC. It's been ages since I last heard that 45, get rinsed at a do, though.... Wink

The good part, about the Tyrone Evans 45, with "SO69", is that it's not a particular favourite of mine. I don't dislike it, like I do "Ali Baba", but I don't love it like I do "Apollo 11", or "Freedom Sound".....And, those 45's, thankfully, offer no sound anomalies.....Still would be nice, if all 45's, produced optimal sound, especially if one is going to have to shell out the dosh, for these crowdfunding schemes...... Rolling Eyes

-Tom Waits
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Trojan Forum Forum Index -> Recommendations / Reviews / Clunkers and stinkers!!! All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 220, 221, 222 ... 225, 226, 227  Next
Page 221 of 227

Jump to: