Trojan Forum Forum Index Trojan Forum
Trojan and other JA music discussion forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Skinhead + Revive Reggae recommendations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 221, 222, 223 ... 225, 226, 227  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Trojan Forum Forum Index -> Recommendations / Reviews / Clunkers and stinkers!!!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr. Sploom
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought this, with some birthday dosh, last week. It's been on heavy rotation, since Friday:

https://www.discogs.com/Rupie-Edwards-Rupies-Gems/release/5764111

Which in turn, is comprised of these two killer LP's:

https://www.discogs.com/Rupie-Edwards-Rupies-Gems/release/3365329

https://www.discogs.com/Rupie-Edwards-Rupies-Gems-Chapter-II/release/2326079

Wink

That said, you get a darn good array, of some of the better tunes, Rupie was producer of, be it outright, or co-producer, as some tracks he shares that role, with someone else....

The musicians are top shelf, too, & it shows, on the music. Very Happy

This is a release, that will appeal to a wide array of listener. For the novice, it will open doors, into the wonderful world of Rupie Edwards' brand of Reggae. For those like me, it fills in some gaps.

Highlights are thick, on this set.....However, there are a few "clunkers" that are still, immensely listenable.....For me, Calypso King, & Shorty The President are the weakest links.....

What's especially nice, is that the Dubs are also included, as they were, on the LP's.

What's not so nice, is that there isn't any liner notes, or photos. Nothing. Not one twiglet.

That grouse aside, the music more than makes up for it. I'm assuming, based on the sounds, & not double checking dates, for each track, the years 1969-1974-ish are covered on this CD. As "Rupie's Gems I" came out in '74, & "Rupie's Gems II" came out, in '76.....A certain geezer, in Caversham, might be able to shed some light on this, as it's his fault, I've become a Rupie-ite.....Oh, the horror of it all! Mr. Green

Out of 5 stars, I give this set a 4.5. For me, Rupie's music, touches a wide variety of moods, with it's lyrics, and/or music. One second, you have an upbeat Skinhead friendly instro, putting you, in a good mood, the next, you're listening to something with somber music, or lyrics.....The bottom line is that, it's intelligence shines, on each tune, except on Shorty the Presidents. True, he sings about "every day life" in his world, but the constant singing of the chorus, over, and over, is what starts to grate, after a while....At least to me, & when you've been playing the CD, over and over for days on end....However, the riddim is still somewhat infectious enough.....Wink

One to get, despite Shorty, grating, from time, to time. Wink Smile

I hate Disneyland. It primes our kids for Las Vegas.
-Tom Waits
Dr. Sploom
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought this, with some birthday dosh, last week. It's been on heavy rotation, since Friday:

https://www.discogs.com/Rupie-Edwards-Rupies-Gems/release/5764111

Which in turn, is comprised of these two killer LP's:

https://www.discogs.com/Rupie-Edwards-Rupies-Gems/release/3365329

https://www.discogs.com/Rupie-Edwards-Rupies-Gems-Chapter-II/release/2326079

Wink

That said, you get a darn good array, of some of the better tunes, Rupie was producer of, be it outright, or co-producer, as some tracks he shares that role, with someone else....

The musicians are top shelf, too, & it shows, on the music. Very Happy

This is a release, that will appeal to a wide array of listener. For the novice, it will open doors, into the wonderful world of Rupie Edwards' brand of Reggae. For those like me, it fills in some gaps.

Highlights are thick, on this set.....However, there are a few "clunkers" that are still, immensely listenable.....For me, Calypso King, & Shorty The President are the weakest links.....

What's especially nice, is that the Dubs are also included, as they were, on the LP's.

What's not so nice, is that there isn't any liner notes, or photos. Nothing. Not one twiglet.

That grouse aside, the music more than makes up for it. I'm assuming, based on the sounds, & not double checking dates, for each track, the years 1969-1974-ish are covered on this CD. As "Rupie's Gems I" came out in '74, & "Rupie's Gems II" came out, in '76.....A certain geezer, in Caversham, might be able to shed some light on this, as it's his fault, I've become a Rupie-ite.....Oh, the horror of it all! Mr. Green

Out of 5 stars, I give this set a 4.5. For me, Rupie's music, touches a wide variety of moods, with it's lyrics, and/or music. One second, you have an upbeat Skinhead friendly instro, putting you, in a good mood, the next, you're listening to something with somber music, or lyrics.....The bottom line is that, it's intelligence shines, on each tune, except on Shorty the Presidents. True, he sings about "every day life" in his world, but the constant singing of the chorus, over, and over, is what starts to grate, after a while....At least to me, & when you've been playing the CD, over and over for days on end....However, the riddim is still somewhat infectious enough.....Wink

One to get, despite Shorty, grating, from time, to time. Wink Smile

-Tom Waits
Dr. Sploom
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got this on Friday, with some birthday dosh, as well:

https://www.discogs.com/Glen-Brown-Dubble-Attack-The-Original-Pantomine-Dee-Jay-Collection-1972-74/release/2677035

Wow. What else can I say? Oh yeah, this:

This is some of the best DJ/Toaster patter, I've ever heard, on some of the greatest riddims, that have ever come out of JA.

It's a crying shame, that Ian McCann(who dat? Mr. Green ) hits the nail, squarely on the head, via his highly intelligent, & thorough liner notes, when he tells us, this was music for the moment. I'm paraphrasing, of course, but his writings, do explain why Glen never made much money, from his records. Which is truly, a crying shame. I'd divulge more -but won't- as this set, needs to be in everyone's Reggae library -if not- everyone's music library, full stop.

Highlights start, with the first track, and end, with the last. For me, the best surprise, was the track, featuring Prince Hammer aka Berry Simpson. Another chap, whose name, should be more prolific, within the Reggae world.....As for the other DJ's, each hold their own, even against U Roy, & I Roy, when they were at the height of their craft, AFAIC. Thus, I can't pick a clear cut winner, in this musical "fisticuffs"! Laughing

As I already said, the music is top of the line. The musicians responsible, are a who's who of Reggae music. I imagine all and sundry, were paid well, with a few added "perks", keeping their spirits high, as I can find no flaws with the music, the mixing, or the arrangements.

It's sets like these, that helped make Greensleeves, one of the all time greats, at making sure, Reggae's legacy was kept alive, & well.....

I just wish, producers like Glen Brown, had been able to make a better living, from it, as he's not doing well, last I heard, and was on hard times.....Considering how much joy, he's brought into the world, via his music, & productions, this is a travesty. Sad

5 out of 5 stars. Go out, and get a copy, if you haven't already. Wink

-Tom Waits
Zapatoo_the_Tiger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Sploom wrote:
The musicians are top shelf, too
I know a few magazines like that Mr. Green

Thanks for that, I know most of the tracks, but I think a few escape me - perhaps Rupie was one of the unsung heroes when it came to early Reggae productions - turned out some top quality rhythms (and everyone's entitled to a clunker or two!), but doesn't seem to get mentioned very often, whether in here (and when I visited the places regularly, nor Pama, B&F or Chatty Mouth) or even FB.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63rcdLeXiU8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFuYIi5-igc
Dr. Sploom
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zapatoo_the_Tiger wrote:
Dr. Sploom wrote:
The musicians are top shelf, too
I know a few magazines like that Mr. Green

Thanks for that, I know most of the tracks, but I think a few escape me - perhaps Rupie was one of the unsung heroes when it came to early Reggae productions - turned out some top quality rhythms (and everyone's entitled to a clunker or two!), but doesn't seem to get mentioned very often, whether in here (and when I visited the places regularly, nor Pama, B&F or Chatty Mouth) or even FB.

I think Rupie is one of those people, that only a certain type of person 'gets". Glen Brown as well.

S1, Treasure Isle, & Scratch are all so much easier to obtain their product, while guys like Glen Brown, or Rupie, didn't seem to have the capital needed, to get their sounds out there, so their names would stick. It also shows us, just how much quality material was out there, as well....Not forgetting some folks, were better salesmen than others....Still, it's nice that releases like these, will let future generations, make up their minds, as to whether or not, these sounds are worthy of people, listening to. I'm hoping they say ,they are.

As for those magazines.....I always liked Mayfair. Wink

-Tom Waits
Zapatoo_the_Tiger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mayfair...almost "essential reading" back in the 70s.

Dr. Sploom
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zapatoo_the_Tiger wrote:
Mayfair...almost "essential reading" back in the 70s.
Very Happy

-Tom Waits
Dr. Sploom
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Rocksteady-Taking-Over-Orange-Street-1966-1968/release/7450595

Spied this, at a used CD shoppe, still in cello wrap, for the tidy sum, of $2.65! Shocked

I had to give it a punt! Laughing

As with the other two CD's, of Bunny Lee material, comprising the years 1966-1968, this one is just as good as the other two.

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Rocksteady-Fever/release/4328090

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Rocksteady-Hits-The-Town/release/4419880

Sound quality is solid, but there is next to nothing, when it comes to liners. All you get, is a brief synopsis, of how the terrible heatwave of the summer of '66, caused the public to demand, slower songs, so they could dance for all, or most, of the evening. They also tell us, how the "Big 3", lost their dominant hold, from the Ska years, when newer producers, appeared on the scene.

After that, all you get, is the personnel that was utilised, and a catalogue of what Kingston Sounds offers.

For me, it's nice to have a clean version of:

Glen Adams-Taking Over Orange Street
Lester Sterling-It Might As Well Be Spring
Ken Rose-Wall Flower
Glen Adams-I Remember

Kingston Sounds, doesn't have the greatest reputation(being an offshoot of Jamaican Recordings), however, if you can hoover these three sets up, at a bargain price, I don't think too much damage will be done.....Correct me, if I'm wrong.....
Wink

While nothing earth shattering(in terms of unreleased gems), is contained on this disc. What does comprise it, is first class Rocksteady, with shades of what was to come, with Reggay, on more than a few numbers.....While I love almost all Jamaican music, from the 1940's, to 1980's, it is the years 1962, 1966, 1968, & 1969, that have made the greatest impact, on me. So, this is right up my alley, even if, I already have vinyl copies, or some of the tunes, on other CD's.

Speaking of CD's, as with most, for folks like me, this is a gap filler. It is also a great way, to open the door to a newcomer, but, I reckon, the pickney of today, would rather DL their music, or go find it, on YT....So maybe, that's a moot point....Who knows? Rolling Eyes

4/5 stars, as lots of the tunes, have previously appeared, on more than a few, CD comps, over the last 25 years. The music, however, is 5/5 stars. Wink

-Tom Waits
Zapatoo_the_Tiger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although there weren't many gaps-to-be-filled on it, I did buy the "Rocksteady Fever" set - quite good as I recall, but not the others, as again, only a few I didn't have.

The lack of info inside always irritates, I have to either guess the year of some tracks or research for it, which is time-consuming.

Some good titles (with good tracks) on the label, especailly for those building a library of JA tunes.

I've read elsewhere that some of the releases are "suspect" *** in terms of the right to do so, but Frank (from KS) knows and works with Bunny Lee (or at least, did), so I wonder how that all works?

*** Also suspect in terms of track titles, e.g. that Ska album - forget what it's called, but I bought the LP (having read about the mis-titling) anyway, hoping fpr some new-to-my-ears material and some top tunes on there, except that I had pretty much all of them on other albums or singles.

Dr. Sploom
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zapatoo_the_Tiger wrote:
Although there weren't many gaps-to-be-filled on it, I did buy the "Rocksteady Fever" set - quite good as I recall, but not the others, as again, only a few I didn't have.

The lack of info inside always irritates, I have to either guess the year of some tracks or research for it, which is time-consuming.

Some good titles (with good tracks) on the label, especailly for those building a library of JA tunes.

I've read elsewhere that some of the releases are "suspect" *** in terms of the right to do so, but Frank (from KS) knows and works with Bunny Lee (or at least, did), so I wonder how that all works?

*** Also suspect in terms of track titles, e.g. that Ska album - forget what it's called, but I bought the LP (having read about the mis-titling) anyway, hoping fpr some new-to-my-ears material and some top tunes on there, except that I had pretty much all of them on other albums or singles.

I believe the Ska album, was by the Skatalites.....Also, lots of these releases, come off as having new/rare material/mixes, when that's not the case. Most of these sets, seem to contain Bunny Lee material exclusively, so I'm not the least bit surprised, there's a wee bit of dodgy-ness associated with it. Rolling Eyes

Still, the three Rocksteady sets, are a great way, to open the doors, for newcomers, or to fill gaps, for a few of us, old hands.....Overall, and despite my giving the set such high marks, there are better sets out there, in terms of having information, easily conveyed. Because, I too, do not like having to go on a search, when I get these releases, to help in that endeavour. Rolling Eyes

That said, the music is still 5 stars, on all of these sets. Mr. Green

-Tom Waits
Dr. Sploom
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Eight months, since I last got something, Reggae, to write about. Embarrassed

As most of you know, Christine Keeler, recently, passed on. So, when I came across "Scandal Ska", at a used CD/DVD shop, I checked out, the track listing, and despite the fact, this set, is fast pushing 30, there were still a goodly number of tracks, I didn't have.

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Scandal-Ska/release/7179525

Also, I did some research, and I don't think the following, are available, anywhere else, but on 45:

Robert Marley
Cornel Campbell
Ernest Ranglin
Skitter
Lloyd Clark
Kentrick Patrick-This tune, is featured, on the "essential listening-at the least", "Dancehall '63", from S1. The difference here is, on "DH63", you have King Stitt toasting.
Basil Gabbidon

I was reminded, I need to dig out "Trojan Battlefield", as Theo Beckford(RIP), cut some killer stuff! His tune, is also, on that set, as well. But, overall, there is very little overlap, with other sets, out there. At least, from what I was able to find, during my recce.
Wink

Sound-wise, there is a warning, that most of the tracks, on this set, were gleaned, from records, as the masters, were unavailable, for one reason, or another. However, I grew up, eating Rice Krispies, so the "snap-crackle-pop", on more than a few songs, is not a bad thing. Mr. Green

Liner-wise, Gaz Mayall, handles that, and does a fine job, setting the scene, with his sparse wording.

And, for those that don't know, this set, is the "Ska" soundtrack(there is an official soundtrack, which features 2 cuts, off this set), to the movie, "Scandal", which is a film based, on the Profumo scandal, that rocked the western world(mostly the UK-or so it seems), in the early '60's.

All said, and done, I give this set, a solid 4.5 out of 5 stars. This comp, will fill gaps for some, while introducing Ska, & proto-Ska, to others.

As for the film, I think it's decent cinema, and the comely Joanne Whalley, certainly, is easy on the eyes. Wink

-Tom Waits
Zapatoo_the_Tiger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have JUDGE NOT on a Trojan CD I think.

The scandal certainly rocked the UK, sex-spiced, security issues and Christine Keeper was a tidy lass fi true!

I remember the event well, but not the detail, I was only 10 years old.

Dr. Sploom
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zapatoo_the_Tiger wrote:
I have JUDGE NOT on a Trojan CD I think.

The scandal certainly rocked the UK, sex-spiced, security issues and Christine Keeper was a tidy lass fi true!

I remember the event well, but not the detail, I was only 10 years old.
I'm curious, as to what CD, that'd be. Wink

I imagine, what, with 1950's Britiain, being rather docile, by and large, when the Swinging 60's came round, it were a nice change of pace.

Ol' Christine, was a tidy lass, wasn't she? A damn good Ska tune, as well. Very Happy

-Tom Waits
Zapatoo_the_Tiger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JUDGE NOT appeared on 2011's "Trojan Presents: Ska" (Trojan - SPECXX2068)

...a lot of intrigue and frisson about it all...

Last edited by Zapatoo_the_Tiger on Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zapatoo_the_Tiger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zapatoo_the_Tiger wrote:
JUDGE NOT appeared on 2011's "Trojan Presents: Ska" (Trojan - SPECXX2068)
...I couldn't check last night, as I was on my tablet - difficult to type and no database on there.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Trojan Forum Forum Index -> Recommendations / Reviews / Clunkers and stinkers!!! All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 221, 222, 223 ... 225, 226, 227  Next
Page 222 of 227

Jump to: