Trojan Forum Forum Index Trojan Forum
Trojan and other JA music discussion forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Releases I'd Like To See From Universal/Trojan
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Trojan Forum Forum Index -> Archives
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Freedomsounds
On Board

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject: Releases I'd Like To See From Universal/Trojan Reply with quote

Laurence Cane-Honeysett's recent post on the site got me thinking about how the "releases" thread deserves to be started anew in light of the various catalog reconfigurations headed our way.
"As a fan, the prospect of combining two of the world’s largest Reggae catalogues filled me with immense excitement, presenting as it did the possibility of creating some truly exciting releases....in the spring of 2008, there were signs of a new beginning for Trojan. Work commenced once more on the release schedule, while plans emerged to upgrade the website and make much of the back catalogue available as downloads. As for what Trojan’s long-term future will be of course only time will tell."
As well as having access to Island, Mango, Tuff Gong, etc. Universal has many vintage tracks from smaller labels at it's disposal, i.e. - a lot of material to combine with the existing Sanctuary catalog.
So this is my proposal - let's start thinking about the best ways to release this material and also start asking questions about how it will be released. I have a feeling that under Universal, Trojan is going to have to seriously reconsider it's previous modes of production. Can we continue to expect "Reggae Rarities" box sets or limited-edition fan club releases? Is a downloadable version of a rare track preferable to a physical copy? When and where can we learn about this new 2008 "release schedule"? Will Trojan become coordinated with Hip-O Records or Island/Def Jam? What can we expect aside from the obvious Bob Marley bonanza?

I don't have time right now to research a possible tracklist, but I will be first in line to buy a comprehensive Lee Perry Productions box set.
Let's get the ball rolling.
Zapatoo_the_Tiger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Releases I'd Like To See From Universal/Trojan Reply with quote

Sticky status applied...

Freedomsounds wrote:
Is a downloadable version of a rare track preferable to a physical copy?
No! No! and thrice No!

We Reggae fans love the tactility of a disc.

Well, if it helps sales and there are some who are happy to have the abstractness of a digital file, then OK, I suppose.

But do NOT replace disks with just generally lack-lustre MP3 Shocked

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63rcdLeXiU8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFuYIi5-igc
claudio
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same as buying a book as an ebook.
If I read a book I wanna have it in my hands not on that bloody display screen Very Happy
I'd like to see some vinyl boxes if that's possible, a friend of mine said there are some. True?
Zapatoo_the_Tiger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

claudio wrote:
I'd like to see some vinyl boxes if that's possible, a friend of mine said there are some. True?
The JUDGE SYMPATHY 11 single Box Set is out on Monday, Claudio (as discussed elsewhere in here)

claudio
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep just read the article
Cool

Cool stuff!
Dr. Sploom
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i really liked the way the Johnny Osbourne and the Sensations 2CD was handled. the original album plus bonus tracks by the same producer. Opened my horizons to the fact the Winston Riley produces some great reggae. So they definitley need to continue this kind of format for out of print titles when releasing them in a CD format.

I also liked the Joe the Boss 2CD as well. Would be nice for Trojan to do some more 2 CD sets of different producers. Especially ones that you dont hear about all the time. Like singers-cum-producers. Laurel Aitken comes to mind for me. As does Derrick Morgan.

Keep the EP box sets coming. i have "Judge Sympathy" at the top of my wants list, so keep releases like that coming.

that's all for the moment. Cool

I hate Disneyland. It primes our kids for Las Vegas.
-Tom Waits
Zapatoo_the_Tiger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many of Derrick Morgan's UK productions weren't that good, TBH...Confused

Dr. Sploom
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zapatoo_the_Tiger wrote:
Many of Derrick Morgan's UK productions weren't that good, TBH...Confused

i didnt know that, Zap. but i would have prob figured that out if i had bought the fictional DM release i dreamed of earlier today...... Laughing

nonetheless, i still think releases highlighting certain producers is a boon to anyone interested in finding which sounds they dig the most since each producer had their own formula, at least to me.

also, i wouldnt have learned half as much as i know if it hadnt been for the box sets, and some of the comps ive gotten. even if they had recylced music on them. so the box sets are a must be continued as well.

Cool

-Tom Waits
richteratmosphere
On Board

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to see the Trojan Deep Dub Selection 2XCD set that was slated to be released in 2007 before the Trojan woes stopped it from hitting the shelves.

Does anyone know if there are plans to release the Trojan CDs that were supposed to come about before the problems halted their release?

I still haven't seen Ernie stock the Zap Pow Trojan CD. I had to get that as an import via Amazon.
Zapatoo_the_Tiger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless someone from "upstairs" looks in to this place, RA, I'm not sure if we'll find out anything about previously-touted releases.

LC-H may know, I believe he checks in here from time to time.

I never saw the Zap-Pow yet, though I did get the plain promo release (with thanks to Mike Atherton) - it was less thrilling than I hoped.

Dr. Sploom
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

after playing the Johnny Osbourne and the Sensations 2 CD set that came out last February, i have concluded that a Pat Kelly Anthology is badly needed. As is a Boris Gardiner Anthology.

As for box sets, i think one where the forum members pick and choose is in order. and call the set the "Trojan Forum Box Set" for good measure. to me this is a surefire way to get people more involved in preserving JA music.

also, the thread that Zapatoo started about which song epitmomizes 69-70 reggae got me to thinking about "Liquidator." while this is not one of my fav songs(i can tolerate it in spells) i think it's awesome that this tune got played at Chelsea home games on the PA. i think a CD should be devoted to reggae tunes that got played at football matches around the UK.

and like the Johnny Osbourne CD, keep reissueing out of print LP's and when in CD format throw in those bonus tracks. plus, keep releasing those box sets of 45's. i can't wait to get me hands on that new "Judge Sympathy."

can't of anything else to babble about at the moment.....

Rolling Eyes

-Tom Waits
Dr. Sploom
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how about an updated 2 CD of the Kingstonians "Sufferer" album?
or the Rudies "Montego Bay and Unity" combined to form CD with possible bonus tracks? maybe Clancy Eccles & The Dynamites - "Herbsman Reggae" could be reissued?

would a Lloyd Charmers anthology be feasible?
or a Cimarons album with early material from around 1970 or whathaveyou?

Question

-Tom Waits
Dr. Sploom
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just came to me that a Val Bennett compilation would be nice as well.

Very Happy

-Tom Waits
Dr. Sploom
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

karl bryan compilation/anthology perhaps? Question

-Tom Waits
Zapatoo_the_Tiger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if there's enough material (that hasn't seen the light of day) to release a nicely-packaged, handsome Glen Brown 2-CD set Wink

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Trojan Forum Forum Index -> Archives All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: