Trojan Forum Forum Index Trojan Forum
Trojan and other JA music discussion forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2-May - we're 7 years old!!!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Trojan Forum Forum Index -> Archives
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zapatoo_the_Tiger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 11:02 am    Post subject: 2-May - we're 7 years old!!! Reply with quote

Yes! This incarnation of the forum was "born" this day in 2003.

I never knew about such places and certainly didn't know about Trojan's previous message board.

I happened across this place by chance a few days after (on 12-May) while sitting in a Vodafone office in Newbury, twiddling my thumbs (nothing to do) seeking out on-line prices for about 10 Trojan CDs - I'd been checking these at Amazon, HMV etc. as well and while in the old main Trojan page, I saw a link to a <Forum>, checked it out and signed up immediately.

It was then moderated by Richie Hardin (Lt. Richie), with Gavin Hilzbrich taking care of the technical side of things. Happy days!

It's been a great source of information about music and musical and other events and even better, I've had the pleasure of meeting and getting to know something like 20 or so of you in different places (some of them pubs!) at different times.

However, it needs "sharpening up" in some way, I reckon.

It’s never been the most active of forums, I’m sure one of the reasons is that maybe because it’s “Trojan” and the label that had all those hits from “Return of Django” in 1969 to “Help Me Make It Through The Night” in 1974, it’s too mainstream and not “edgy” enough - doesn't have "cred" or hold credence with some.

So folk don’t/won’t sign up.

Another might be that this an “official” forum, affiliated directly or indirectly (I don’t know) to the ubiquitous Universal Music Group and previously, to Sanctuary Records.

I hope reasons don’t include the fact that because I’m the moderator or because any individual is a member others won’t join.

In the time I’ve been looking after it, I’ve had only two requests by members for their accounts to be removed, both for what I thought of as over-the-top reasons.

So I’m open to all sorts of suggestions, though a couple of constraints are that I don’t have the facility to be able to change the look and feel (e.g. create a shiny new header page) and I don’t plan on quitting just yet.

Any suggestions for change to the design, colour etc. of the forum are very welcome, but to be put in place, would have to be undertaken elsewhere, via Universal and with attendant costs (which they may not be prepared to pay for).

I still get a buzz from here and enjoy being a part of it, so don’t want to hand over the reins just yet.

So let’s have any ideas – e.g,:
• more categories,
• less categories,
• different categories,
• what should go in the categories,
• (re)move some of the “sticky” and “announcement” topics (which I may do anyway),
• what you like about it here and…
• what you don’t
…and so on

And finally, Esther – may I say that I appreciate the ongoing support of members old and new – several have been posting longer than I have, many thanks to you all, I always look forward to checking for new posts, miss it when I'm away or can't get online and love to chip in with my own comments and sometimes irrelevant anecdotes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63rcdLeXiU8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFuYIi5-igc
Half Soldier
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on a quick lunch break so I don't have time to say anything other than 'Happy Birthday' to the Forum and that I'm glad and grateful to have found you all. It has certainly helped me discover music that I would never have come across
RudePete
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have nothing negative to write either. I thoroughly enjoy visiting here. I was a bit disappointed/baffled by some comments on Pama about Trojan recently..So, maybe the "perception" some people have of here is misplaced? But then again, they're entitled to their opinion... Rolling Eyes Wink

One thing that Pama has that Trojan doesn't, is the way you are directed to the last unread post of each thread you visit. Very useful, but not essential.

Happy Birthday us...... Very Happy Cool
claudio
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big up Cool
Zapatoo_the_Tiger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RudePete wrote:
One thing that Pama has that Trojan doesn't, is the way you are directed to the last unread post of each thread you visit. Very useful, but not essential.
If you select the tiny icon to the left of the topic title, you get directed to the first reply for that topic since you last logged in...

Zapatoo_the_Tiger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and thanks for the good words fellows Wink

downbeat
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

7 years! Blimey. Time flies when your having fun! Wink

I've been a Trojan forum fan for most of that time, and check in daily. I think it's a great source of information and contact, and as Joe says has opened up channels to meeting like minded people. I think prior to discovering this forum, I felt quite isolated in my passion for Jamaicam music, and this forum has opened up a whole new world of connections, and I'm sure it has contributed in some small way to the increasing popularity of the genre in general.

Pama Forum is a bit different, seems to have developed a fairly close-knit regular community and can get a bit more 'in-depth', but I think the two forums compliment each other tremendously.

Suggestions for improvement? I agree with Pete about the 'last read' function being a great advantage - especially on more lengthy threads. Other than that, I wouldn't want it to change too much.

Joe, your tireless work on the forum is more than appreciated by us contributors. Thanks man.

Happy birthday Trojan Forum.

Cool

http://profile.myspace.com/no1station
RudePete
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to say that I also have met some "kindred spirits" via the Forum, and hope to meet more in the future... Smile
Zapatoo_the_Tiger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

downbeat wrote:
I felt quite isolated in my passion for Jamaicam music, and this forum has opened up a whole new world of connections...
You and me both, mate Exclamation

The pals I had back in 1969-70 dropped Reggae when Glam rock came in and the likes of Rod Stewart got popular.

Slightly earlier and being at a (then) fairly posh school, the likes of Hendrix, Pink Floyd and the Moody Blues were the order of the day.

Since then, I've rarely had any mates (apart from "Ed", since 1975 and for about 12 years from the late 80s, "Chris") who were into the music and very few (until about the last 10 years) who could even empathise with my tastes, let alone enjoy the music.

Kev (from newbury) I didn't meet via any forum, he collared me one day at Vodafone in 2005 on a "dress down" day for charity, I was wearing my black Trojan T-shirt...

Bosssounds
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goodness - has it been that long Shocked I can't even recall who put me onto this. Chris Prete was an old Trojan contact but I don't think he was doing anything with the company by 2003 and he and I can't have spoken for ten years or more. I know MdeK/Door Peeper alerted me to Pama.

Thinking back, it was around 6 years ago (circa April 2004) that I met my first Trojan Forum contact - a local guy who kindly gave me some CDs and records and then promptly disappeared. I wouldn't know him if I saw him now. I've met a few more since Very Happy

Yep, a revamp from the familiar green and black is surely timely.

Last edited by Bosssounds on Sun May 02, 2010 3:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
RudePete
Golden Festival

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bosssounds wrote:

Yep, a revamp from the familiar green and black is surely timely.

Orange and white perhaps? Cool
Zapatoo_the_Tiger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A visual re-vamp would be ideal (orange and white might be just the thing), but I don't have the technical "power" to change things like this.

JahLoveMusic
Music Is The Key

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 2-May - we're 7 years old!!! Reply with quote

Zapatoo_the_Tiger wrote:
It’s never been the most active of forums, I’m sure one of the reasons is that maybe because it’s “Trojan” and the label that had all those hits from “Return of Django” in 1969 to “Help Me Make It Through The Night” in 1974, it’s too mainstream and not “edgy” enough - doesn't have "cred" or hold credence with some.
So folk don’t/won’t sign up.
People I've spoken to won't join because of the Trojan/skinhead connection.
Zapatoo_the_Tiger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback, JLM - as you know, it's not really like that here, though several buy into the culture and some of us still enjoy the fashionable side of the clothing.

As for the skinhead thing, I never had a crop until the last 6 or 7 years and then only cos I can't be bothered to go to a hairdresser or barber any more - couldn't do it as a youth, cos my stepfather threatened to throw me out if I ever came home with a crop!

No particular nationalistic tendencies here, either.

One reason I keep the forum visible (read-only) is so that potential members can try-before-they-buy.

Perhaps a gentle word in some of these folks' ears, JLM... Wink

Bertie 1884
Paradise

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy birthday! I'm glad I joined because the length and breadth of knowledge on here is astounding and I've heard/bought some great music because of it. My own knowledge is expanding all the time, but I don't feel like an idiot if I don't know the tunes peolpe are talking about as its not like that on here at all. You only get encouragement and advice and I would encourage anyone to join. Glad to see you will still be keeping us all in line Joe. Laughing
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Trojan Forum Forum Index -> Archives All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: